Reversing Wrinkled Skin And Hair Loss In Mice By Restoring Mitochondrial Function

Mito

“Accumulating evidence suggests a strong link between mitochondrial dysfunction, mitochondrial diseases, aging, and aging-associated diseases26, 28, 30, 38, 63. Notably, increased somatic mtDNA mutations and decline in mitochondrial functions have been extensively reported during human aging26, 28, 30. Studies also suggest a decrease in mtDNA content and mitochondrial number with age32, 33, 64. The major finding of our study is that the ubiquitous depletion of mtDNA predominantly leads to wrinkled skin and hair loss accompanied by inflammatory phenotype. Wrinkled skin and hair loss are obvious features of skin aging and aging-associated phenotypic changes in humans. We discovered that these aging-associated phenotypic changes could be reversed by restoring mtDNA content to wild-type level. To our knowledge this observation is unprecedented.

"......These experiments show that mitochondria are regulators of skin aging and loss of hair. This observation is surprising and suggests that epigenetic mechanisms underlying mitochondria-to-nucleus cross-talk must play an important role in the restoration of normal skin and hair phenotype.....”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41419-018-0765-9

Progesterone

MB is a potent mitochondrial booster.

Anyone seen any benefits on hair with this, and/or skin?

Progesterone

I think methylene blue is pretty much the best defense against hair thinning

Joey! talk to me bro...

dosage? frequency? how do you dose btw? I used to dose on tongue directly - good?

What else you got in your bag of tricks? I know you've been experimenting with a bunch of stuff.

ddjd

Joey! talk to me bro...

dosage? frequency? how do you dose btw? I used to dose on tongue directly - good?

What else you got in your bag of tricks? I know you've been experimenting with a bunch of stuff.
I've posted previously about it. My theory about hair thinning/hair loss is all related to low co2 and high Nitric oxide.

The most important thing is to dissociate nitric oxide from Cytochrome c oxidase.

Methylene blue, red light 630-850nm wavelengths and Emodin/cascara Sagrada are the only things known to do this.

Haidut has a good thread about nitric oxide theory of aging.

I also think Mito is on the money with this thread relating to mitochondrial health.

In terms of methylene blue I take about 2-4 mg a day.

There's a guy in a hair loss forum who claims he took around 50mg a day and regrew his hair. I'm not too keen on those high amounts but there's certainly studies where they've used these high doses to treat malaria etc

dreamcatcher

I've posted previously about it. My theory about hair thinning/hair loss is all related to low co2 and high Nitric oxide.

The most important thing is to dissociate nitric oxide from Cytochrome c oxidase.

Methylene blue, red light 630-850nm wavelengths and Emodin/cascara Sagrada are the only things known to do this.

I also think Mito is on the money with this thread relating to mitochondrial health.

There's a guy in a hair loss forum who claims he took around 50mg a day and regrew his hair. I'm not too keen on those high amounts but there's certainly studies where they've used these high doses to treat malaria etc
@Joeyd could you please recommend a good brand of MB and dosage? I'm in the UK.

Progesterone

lisuride is out of your bag of tricks? I was just about to start back on it - Thoughts???

Have you personally noticed hair thickening/maintenance while on the 2mg-4mg of MB daily?

OP
Mito

Mito

There is reason to be cautious about large doses of methylene blue (in addition to MAO-A inhibition).

According to Travis........

“Peroxynitrite (ONOO⁻) is formed by the spontaneous union of nitric oxide (ṄO) and superoxide (Ȯ₂⁻). Although not a free radical like its' substrates, peroxynitrite is actually more dangerous and characteristically adducts with tyrosine side-chains on proteins. Although Kali Janes assumes above that peroxynitrite-induced neuropathy occurs upon tyrosyl nitration of mitochondrial proteins, this assumption fails when noting the persistence of neuropathic symptoms greatly outlasts the mitochondrial turnover rate. I think it is more reasonable to assume the nerve proteins themselves are the targets, and specifically α- and β-tubulin: The subunits of long microtubule fibers invariably found at the centre of every nerve. Mitochondrial theories also fail to account for the reductions in nerve velocity noted.

Methylene blue predictably lowers the concentration of nitric oxide (ṄO), yet does so by increasing superoxide (Ȯ₂⁻). Although the resulting product—peroxynitrite (ONOO⁻)—is not a free radical like its' substrates, it is more dangerous on account of tyrosyl nitration. Although nitric oxide is most well-known: nitrogen dioxide (ṄO₂), nitrosonium (NO⁺), and peroxynitrite (ONOO⁻) are considered to be the most dangerous reactive nitrogen species. Methylene blue lowers nitric oxide by converting it into a more dangerous product.”

Peripheral Neuropathy, Rapidly Receding Gums + Bloods

Progesterone

There is reason to be cautious about large doses of methylene blue (in addition to MAO-A inhibition).

“Peroxynitrite (ONOO⁻) is formed by the spontaneous union of nitric oxide (ṄO) and superoxide (Ȯ₂⁻). Although not a free radical like its' substrates, peroxynitrite is actually more dangerous and characteristically adducts with tyrosine side-chains on proteins. Although Kali Janes assumes above that peroxynitrite-induced neuropathy occurs upon tyrosyl nitration of mitochondrial proteins, this assumption fails when noting the persistence of neuropathic symptoms greatly outlasts the mitochondrial turnover rate. I think it is more reasonable to assume the nerve proteins themselves are the targets, and specifically α- and β-tubulin: The subunits of long microtubule fibers invariably found at the centre of every nerve. Mitochondrial theories also fail to account for the reductions in nerve velocity noted.

Methylene blue predictably lowers the concentration of nitric oxide (ṄO), yet does so by increasing superoxide (Ȯ₂⁻). Although the resulting product—peroxynitrite (ONOO⁻)—is not a free radical like its' substrates, it is more dangerous on account of tyrosyl nitration. Although nitric oxide is most well-known: nitrogen dioxide (ṄO₂), nitrosonium (NO⁺), and peroxynitrite (ONOO⁻) are considered to be the most dangerous reactive nitrogen species. Methylene blue lowers nitric oxide by converting it into a more dangerous product.”

1mg-2mg a day in humans is not considered a large dose right?

@Mito you believe MB is very beneficial for scalp hair, correct?

Vinero

The B-vitamins are also very important for mitochondrial health. Also the branched chain amino acids (BCAA) seem to induce mitochondrial biogenesis.

ddjd

Interesting. Something to watch out for. Have you run this by Peat?

I think you might find this podcast interesting:

In the words of Dr. Gonzalez-Lima, there’s “no better antioxidant” than Methylene Blue.
"The first free radical that forms inside a cell is superoxide, and Methylene Blue binds to superoxide to fully reduce it to water. It stops the oxidative stress cascade at its very beginning, whereas with all the other antioxidants, the best they can do is work at the level of the membrane of the cell to prevent things like lipid peroxidation for example, but this is after superoxide has been formed into hydrogen peroxide and cased damage to DNA and proteins etc. The only antioxidant that leads to no damage is Methylene Blue."

Listen from 26:55 onwards: