Reversing Tooth Decay, Coming To A Dentist Near You

Iron Man

I have had on going issues with a tooth. Today I visited the Dentist (which is not easy for me) and I had him do a full X-Ray. The X-Ray showed "halos" around the root and the starting of a "halo" around another root behind.
The Dentist prescribed me penicillin and I started this today.
Million dollar question - How do I fix the issue with the root and pulp naturally? What supplements will work for this. I am trying oil pulling, rinsing with mineral salt and I even use peppermint oil on my tooth brush.
Thanks,

yerrag

I have had on going issues with a tooth. Today I visited the Dentist (which is not easy for me) and I had him do a full X-Ray. The X-Ray showed "halos" around the root and the starting of a "halo" around another root behind.
The Dentist prescribed me penicillin and I started this today.
Million dollar question - How do I fix the issue with the root and pulp naturally? What supplements will work for this. I am trying oil pulling, rinsing with mineral salt and I even use peppermint oil on my tooth brush.
Thanks,
If the halo signifies colonization by bacteria, it is always going to be a hotspot for bacterial infection. Probably there is already a pocket from gum tissue that has receded, or destroyed by pathogens. It will not regenerate and there will always be a void. The void will be periodically reoccupied by pathogens, even if the dentist momentarily sterilizes that void. Oil pulling won't help either as oil pulling is only done for about twenty minutes at most. What happens during the remaining time of the day? I had to pull out two teeth. One because I had a root canal already. And one was because I had periodontal disease and it left a pocket in my gum line. Pulling out the teeth was the only way I can ensure no more bacterial colonization.

Iron Man

That is a real bummer! I am hoping to avoid this at all costs...
I appreciate you sharing your experience though, but am sorry that you had this happen.

Travis

Was thinking about this earlier; since Robert Becker has shown that bone (collagen) is piezoelectric. Even Wikipedia says so. This means that it becomes semiconductive when it is compressed; a charge flows and returns when the compression stops.

The same happens with quartz; the stereotypical piezoelectric crystal. When quartz it is struck with a hammer, current will flow. You can light a bulb by using copper wire, quartz, and a hammer. No lie.

The converse is true as well; you can use electricity to expand or contract quartz. This serves a function for very small and accurate actuators on microscopes.

So what I was thinking about, was that the electric flux induced by running could attract cations like calcium towards the collagenous matrix of bone. This could be why inactivity is associated with decreased bone mineralization (see astronauts; old people, paraplegics). Maybe molecules like vitamin D simply increase absorption?

So thinking along these lines we would expect tooth loading (chewing) to increase mineralization through the electric flux created by the piezoelectric collagen in tooth. You might also expect that an exogenous electric current could do the same thing.

Create a negative charge on the tooth to attract Ca²⁺.

Chewing would theoretically create positive and negative cycles, and so would running. So would an oscillating circuit and pulsed electromagnetic fields.

I like people like Gilbert Ling who actually try to explain biology on a deeper level; on the level of molecules, atoms, and charge. Perhaps mineralization would be best explained by physics and chemists; not biologists.

[edit] Just to prove that I haven't gone off the deep-end, I found this study. I haven't read it yet but it shows that my ideas aren't too crazy (or that I am not alone in thinking crazy ideas):
Bone Collagen Role in Piezoelectric Mediated Remineralization

I read the study. It is short and easy to read. I highly recommend reading it; it has wonderful electron micrographs of bone remineralization.

They were able to demonstrate that compressed bone does attract calcium more than uncompressed bone. Here is a quote:
According to the results found in this work we could argue that the piezoelectricity that is generated by deforming the collagen fibril induces spatial rearrangements on the collagen fiber that would favor interactions on the dark bands (corresponding to”holes”) and probably inducing the charged amino acids that are located there, to promote electrostatic interaction with calcium and phosphate ions, only in areas of the material that is subjected to compression forces. As can be noted, the mineralization of collagen matrix has been carried out in the absence of cells, driven only by electrostatic effect of the surface with calcium and phosphate ions present in the medium.
No doubt the amino acids he is referring to are glutamic and aspartic acids. This ties in with Gilbert Ling's c-value. As the α-helix of collagen is compressed, electrons are probably forced out to the glutamic side-chains through electrostatic repulsion. This would increase the negative charge on the glutamic⁻¹ side-chain (glutamic⁻²). This might approximate the c-value for Ca²⁺.

Ray Peat talks about Gilbert Ling.

Last edited:

Richiebogie

Million dollar question - How do I fix the issue with the root and pulp naturally? What supplements will work for this.

60g of aged cheddar each day will provide you with your calcium and vitamin k2 (and histamine :( )

Try to avoid phytic acid from nuts, seeds and grains which will bind to the calcium.

Ensure you are getting enough vitamin A and D (eg 4g of cod liver oil or some meat and sunlight).

Practice keeping your mouth closed when not talking or eating so that your saliva delivers the nutrients to your teeth.

[From wikipedia, saliva contains
  • 1.2–2.8 mmol/L calcium (similar to plasma)
]

You can settle the million dollar payment at a later date!

Constatine

Would't all that orange juice we drink contribute to dental and bone complications (in super excess of course)? The milk will likely balance out the pH if you drink it with the orange juice but your teeth will still likely suffer.

Iron Man

60g of aged cheddar each day will provide you with your calcium and vitamin k2 (and histamine :( )

Try to avoid phytic acid from nuts, seeds and grains which will bind to the calcium.

Ensure you are getting enough vitamin A and D (eg 4g of cod liver oil or some meat and sunlight).

Practice keeping your mouth closed when not talking or eating so that your saliva delivers the nutrients to your teeth.

[From wikipedia, saliva contains
  • 1.2–2.8 mmol/L calcium (similar to plasma)
]

You can settle the million dollar payment at a later date!

Thanks Richiebogie!

My tooth has really flared up and I am on antibiotics to kill off the infection (abscess). Dentist thinks the tooth is doomed. It is hurting at the moment, so I am dosing up on aspirin as well as taking the antibiotics.

With the vitamins, what sort of doses are we talking? I already take K2, D3 and A.

Someone mentioned Molybdenum to me as well.

I like my oatmeal in the mornings, but try and brush my teeth straight after.

L

lollipop

Silicon also has that piezoelectric quality.
Quartz is silicon and @Travis did you know they have dance floors made out of quartz so when people dance they collect the energy and fuel their nightclubs: one in Sweden and San Francisco?

Richiebogie

I like my oatmeal in the mornings, but try and brush my teeth straight after.

The phytic acid in your oats binds to zinc and calcium in your body, not in your mouth, so brushing your teeth won't help.

The oats may be robbing your bloodstream and saliva of calcium, affecting your teeth from the root and the surface.

Try avoiding oats and other grains (including foods made from flour) for a month and see if your teeth begin to look and feel stronger and whiter.

If it doesn't help then you can return to your oat breakfast.

Another cause of the halos could be grinding your teeth at night. If you suspect this then a mouth guard can help, but this will block the saliva. Practise relaxing your jaw with your mouth shut during the day and before you go to sleep.

Travis

No. I din't know that. That is really cool. Quartz has to be the coolest way to convert mechanical energy into electricity.

I really think the piezoelectric properties of collagen explain bone mineralization the best. This helps explain Wolff's Law, and the fact that astronauts lose bone density.

No doubt vitamin A, vitamin D, and calcium/phosphorous intakes have much to do with it as well.

Vitamin A can stimulate osteoclasts, the cells that remodel collagen in bone. A dysregulated bone-turnover rate is manifested by Paget's Disease on one end, and osteopetrosis on the other.

Vitamin D and parathyroid hormone help regulate calcium plasma levels. It is well know that vitamin D deficiency leads to rickets.

The calcium/phosphate ratio of bone is 5/3. I think this is a good target. Studies have confirmed that more dietary phosphorus than calcium can have a negative effect on bone. Phytic acid has six phosphates per molecule. I agree with Richie, the oats are probably delivering too much phosphate.

Iron Man

Thanks again.

Is there a protocol or regimen regarding all this? Something that advises on dosages etc? Scouring the internet is really hard and the information out there is so piece meal. It would be great to have something that shows a list of what to try along with dosages.

I think in my case, the tooth is ok. It just has inflamed / infected pulp and root. There is also some sensitivity to cold (not as bad as it was) and sensitive to biting down on something hard.

Gl;itch.e

Thanks Richiebogie!

My tooth has really flared up and I am on antibiotics to kill off the infection (abscess). Dentist thinks the tooth is doomed. It is hurting at the moment, so I am dosing up on aspirin as well as taking the antibiotics.
Go get some xylitol gum. Seriously. This will help with the pain more than anything I know and possibly help the infection. I went to the dentist two weeks ago to get my tooth checked. Its totally ****88 and will probably need to be removed but they were amazed I wasn't in serious pain. They wanted to give me antibiotics to stop it from becoming a worse infection but all I have done is continue chewing xylitol gum between meals. No pain/sensitivity and no signs of any infection.

paymanz

The phytic acid in your oats binds to zinc and calcium in your body, not in your mouth, so brushing your teeth won't help.

The oats may be robbing your bloodstream and saliva of calcium, affecting your teeth from the root and the surface.

Try avoiding oats and other grains (including foods made from flour) for a month and see if your teeth begin to look and feel stronger and whiter.

If it doesn't help then you can return to your oat breakfast.

Another cause of the halos could be grinding your teeth at night. If you suspect this then a mouth guard can help, but this will block the saliva. Practise relaxing your jaw with your mouth shut during the day and before you go to sleep.
Do you think Phytates get absorbed into blood stream?

Travis