Reversing Bacteria-induced Vitamin D Receptor Dysfunction Is Key To Autoimmune Disease

bodacious

Thread title is the title of this paper, not mine :p

Link here: Reversing bacteria-induced vitamin D receptor dysfunction is key to autoimmune disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Evidence has been accumulating that indicates that a number of autoimmune diseases can be reversed by gradually restoring VDR function with the VDR agonist olmesartan and subinhibitory dosages of certain bacteriostatic antibiotics. Diseases showing favorable responses to treatment so far include systemic lupus erythematosis, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, sarcoidosis, Sjogren’s syndrome, autoimmune thyroid disease, psoriasis, ankylosing spondylitis, Reiter’s syndrome, type I and II diabetes mellitus, and uveitis.

It's an interesting paper.

I wonder what the rest of the forum thinks of this model, and if there's another way to eliminate a possible intracellular bacterial infection.

Pointless

So taking lots of vitamin D would contribute to autoimmune disease by desensitizing receptors?

Pointless

Interesting stuff

This gene encodes the nuclear hormone receptor for vitamin D3. This receptor also functions as a receptor for the secondary bile acid lithocholic acid. The receptor belongs to the family of trans-acting transcriptional regulatory factors and shows similarity of sequence to the steroid and thyroid hormone receptors.[7]

Downstream targets of this nuclear hormone receptor are involved principally in mineral metabolism though the receptor regulates a variety of other metabolic pathways, such as those involved in the immune response and cancer.[8]

Mutations in this gene are associated with type II vitamin D-resistant rickets. A single nucleotide polymorphism in the initiation codon results in an alternate translation start site three codons downstream. Alternative splicing results in multiple transcript variants encoding the same protein.[9]

The vitamin D receptor plays an important role in regulating the hair cycle. Loss of VDR is associated with hair loss in experimental animals.[10] Experimental studies have shown that the unliganded VDR interacts with regulatory regions in cWnt (wnt signaling pathway) and sonic hedgehog target genes and is required for the induction of these pathways during the postnatal hair cycle.[11] These studies have revealed novel actions of the unliganded VDR in regulating the post-morphogenic hair cycle.

Calcitriol receptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sonic Hedgehog gene lol

Once it was parasites in your intestine that are hard to flush out, now it's bacteria in your cells that are hard to flush out. Same trope. Gets you feeling bad about having stuff inside you, and gives you something to blame.

Tarmander

Once it was parasites in your intestine that are hard to flush out, now it's bacteria in your cells that are hard to flush out. Same trope. Gets you feeling bad about having stuff inside you, and gives you something to blame.

But if I just fast enough eventually they will have nothing to feed on and will die.

So endotoxin is essentially blocking vitamin D receptors from working correctly and taking up vitamin D? It honestly makes sense and would explain balding in a nutshell. Endotoxin leading to lower vitamin D leading to increased prolactin from lack of calcium being absorbed and so on and so forth.

DesertRat

Dr. Marshall worked on the D - autoimmune relationship and treated a lot of people with infections underlying auto-immune Lyme, ME-CFS, etc. I think the protocol involved little or no Vit D. Interesting that researchers are confirmed some aspects of his theory.

LegendeLic

great thread!

I am also not totally clued in on what might help to repair that VDR dysfunction induced by endotoxins...but I am figuring everything that counters endotoxin will help in the first place. so I am trying to that first.

As bacterial products compromise the activity of the VDR, the receptor is prevented from expressing an enzyme (CYP24) that breaks the calcitriol/1,25-D down into its inactive metabolites.

so it seems that most vitamin d3 analogs are helpful...
Treatment of Experimental Autoimmune Prostatitis in Nonobese Diabetic Mice by the Vitamin D Receptor Agonist Elocalcitol Elocalcitol
(PDF) Efficacy of a potent and safe vitamin D receptor agonist for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease BXL-62

but vit-d3 is not helping? for me when i take vit d3 which was mostly the non active form that would worsen my sympthoms...
honestly at the moment, I am not really grasping it or i am not grasping how to fix the VDR issue...but I totally think that is a key thing for a lot of people

Just wow

Found this before I made this thread:

Veeery interesting.

Just wow

Found this before I made this thread:

Veeery interesting.

@haidut what do you think of this and similar findings and studies?

It seem to perfectly explain all of my extremely bad symptoms/worsened state after using D3?