Reversing Autoimmune Disease With Vegan Diet

benaoao

@ecstatichamster, unless indeed doing a rather difficult vegan/vegetarian keto diets, I'm not aware of a very low carb, predominantly (muscle) meat, rarely grass-fed/wild caught way of eating that would also be low in sulfured amino acids, iron, and arachidonic acid. Keto people go for grain fed ground beef, commercial bacon and cream, and wonder why their health turns to ***t so quick. Vegetarian keto might be doable, although for the insulin resistant they may as well go for a low carb vegetarian diet instead. Will be good enough.

I don't think Peat believes that autoimmune diseases are "real". They are not the "body turning on itself". They are a result of a lot of low energy cells committing suicide and the detritus is cleaned up by the immune system. Cytokines such as IGF-b and IL-6 and prostaglandin E2 come down when you get rid of the endotoxins. He's spoken highly of this type of a view of the immune system, and in 30 years from now it will become mainstream.

that's the first time I've ever read that, and god bless this forum. This is incredibly interesting. People blame the firemen all over the place, where I believe that LDL,DHT,cortisol,cytokines et al. did nothing wrong / were merely trying to fix the problems caused by a poor nutrition, low in vitamins, with awful mineral ratios, causing low cellular energy.

As we react to unsuitable environments, our internal environments become limiting for our cells, and instead of renewing themselves, repairing damage, and preparing for new challenges, our cells find themselves in blind alleys. Looking at aging in this way suggests that putting ourselves into the right environments could prevent aging.
Peat

Last edited:
@ecstatichamster, unless indeed doing a rather difficult vegan/vegetarian keto diets, I'm not aware of a very low carb, predominantly (muscle) meat, rarely grass-fed/wild caught way of eating that would also be low in sulfured amino acids, iron, and arachidonic acid. Keto people go for grain fed ground beef, commercial bacon and cream, and wonder why their health turns to ***t so quick. Vegetarian keto might be doable, although for the insulin resistant they may as well go for a low carb vegetarian diet instead. Will be good enough.

that's the first time I've ever read that, and god bless this forum. This is incredibly interesting. People blame the firemen all over the place, where I believe that LDL,DHT,cortisol,cytokines et al. did nothing wrong / were merely trying to fix the problems caused by a poor nutrition, low in vitamins, with awful mineral ratios, causing low cellular energy.

Peat

I never said keto. Peat is never advocating keto.

For immune system see A Bioenergetic View Of Autoimmunity [Generative Energy #12]

Google jamie cunliffe

benaoao

I misinterpreted your post, thinking you wrote that keto claims to bring the 5 benefits you listed. Apologizes, and ty for the link

Peat is about AVOIDING dogmatism and working out what is rational and logical based on the information at hand, and this often takes time and evolves with new information and research/study/evidence and experience.

There is evidence that exists right now that many things he says are harmful are not harmful. So by your logic, he should change his view based on those studies. Why doesn't he change his view?

You are trying to plant a flag in the ground of what is "Peaty" and say it must remain their dogmatically forever.

Nope. Not "forever," only what his current view is. This should be obvious.

The OP is about a person who's ingesting flaxseed oil, one of the most polyunsaturated oils there is, and people are trying to see how it "works" from a "Peat" point of view. This is madness.

Not every success story found online can be viewed from a Peat point of view. Ask him how the person eating beans, grains, starch, and some nuts and seeds daily seems to do well in her 50's. How could she seem to do well on that "poor" diet? Is there really a point in asking him that? Can you not assume that his answer would be something like "some people can do it and get along.." etc.?

You're saying that old line thats been popular in Peat circles for a few years now. That line of "he's not a diet guru, there is no Peat diet" etc. That is crazy. There is absolutely a Peat diet as well as Peat supplements. You're trying to leave the gate open a little for Peat in case he is wrong about something so that you don't feel bad when confronted with the evidence. You're not holding a position on what is correct, on who has the health thing figured out the most.

There are similar claims (a LOT of them) for keto diets.

I think the keys are:
1. low methionine, low cysteine
2. low iron
3. low endotoxin load
4. plenty of carbohydrates, good quality protein
5. low PUFAs, as low as possible

Keto is not low methionine, not low iron, and does not allow "plenty" of carbohydrates.

Texon

I eat a vegan diet.... 6 days a week. Like blue zones people do (and Peat?) eating weekly big bad red meat om the bone, and organ (organic, grass fed though) is what feels best for me. Some weeks I even add a day of wild caught fish or shellfish.

The only supplement needed for me is zinc. My hair, nails, skin everything has gone back 10 years like I’m a teenager again. Growing like a weed... and that’s on a PCT, after 2 years of believing in TRT. I don’t care about super duper low PUFAs. Just keep them low enough, I like nuts and seeds.

To whoever posted above about keto diets promising the same good as vegan or peaty, that’s highly debatable. I’ve been there, seen their arguments, there’s so much nonsense and misunderstanding of the liver and thyroid function among keto fanatics. I don’t even know where to begin with.

I wouldn’t feed my kids a vegan diet though. Meat grows the body well. Not sure about dairy, this industry is foul imo.
@benaoao I am on trt apx 45 mgs IM 2x per week and no hcg, but would like to get off and replace with a testosterone promoter if such a thing really exists in order to avoid sarcopenia later on. How did you manage to get off trt and are you doing anything else supplement wise? Amino powders are no bueno for me. Apparently since I am a tryptophan induced EMS survivor from the EMS outbreak back in 1989, I have unusual reactions to all amino powders. Thanks in advance.

TeaRex14

There is a starch version of this by Jill Harrington the lupus recovery diet:

The Lupus Recovery Diet

There is no point of talking about it here because there are so many things about it that are not Peaty. My a peat vegan is possible post has an inaccurate title. There’s no such thing as a peat vegan. To try to conflate the two is like trying to say that there is such a thing as a low fat keto diet. It doesn’t make sense. Peat drinks upwards of a gallon of milk every day and eats seafood and oxtail weekly and liver. But you will then say ok that’s fine but explain the success of the vegan diet from a peat perspective. No. You can’t. That’s not possible. The success of that person contradicts the peat perspective. In other words peat is wrong in that persons case. Also the term vegan is meaningless in regards to diet. It’s a policitial term. Whenever someone says vegan diet they must be as specific as possible as to what the persons diet is in detail.
Actually there's a few common physiological processes between the two. So a vegan diet can in fact be explain from a peat perspective. Both diet support glucose metabolism and a reduction in serum fatty acids. Oxidative energy is supported by glucose metabolism. Now I'm not suggesting this is the cause of the recovery in the link you posted. But to pretend like the vegan diet is unexplainable from a metabolic perspective is inaccurate. Carbs support thyroid, vegans eat carbs. The PUFA thing is where vegans, or at least most vegans, differ from. But I think it's quite clear a lot of the vegans have clear signs of premature aging. Likely due to not avoiding PUFA, but probably more closely related to low protein intake.

Texon

I eat a vegan diet.... 6 days a week. Like blue zones people do (and Peat?) eating weekly big bad red meat om the bone, and organ (organic, grass fed though) is what feels best for me. Some weeks I even add a day of wild caught fish or shellfish.

The only supplement needed for me is zinc. My hair, nails, skin everything has gone back 10 years like I’m a teenager again. Growing like a weed... and that’s on a PCT, after 2 years of believing in TRT. I don’t care about super duper low PUFAs. Just keep them low enough, I like nuts and seeds.

To whoever posted above about keto diets promising the same good as vegan or peaty, that’s highly debatable. I’ve been there, seen their arguments, there’s so much nonsense and misunderstanding of the liver and thyroid function among keto fanatics. I don’t even know where to begin with.

I wouldn’t feed my kids a vegan diet though. Meat grows the body well. Not sure about dairy, this industry is foul imo.
@benaoao. What do you eat for breakfast? I eat a big breakfast and eat eggs every day. Would like to eat less of them as I think an intolerance has developed. Same with milk. Also need to keep homocysteine low. Thanks in advance.

rob

It's always interesting to hear people's stories. But, yeah, everyone's different...

I suffer from Crohn's and, personally, vegetarian and vegan diets kill my body. I've tried so many variations on that theme over the years in order to make my diet 'healthier' and everytime, without exception, they quickly lead to onset of symptoms - like they flip a switch. Interestingly, these symptoms vanish equally quickly once I change my diet back. Even long before I developed Crohn's, such diets excerbated the eczema I had on my forearms and eventually caused joint pain.

Similarly, the keto diet (high fat/low carb) diets cause significant issues, even more so if high in plant matter, as well as unacceptable weight loss (I really don't need to lose any weight) and, bizarrely, isolated neutropenia, which normalises everytime the simple, digestible carbs go up in my diet.

I tend to ignore these 'diets' nowadays, try to focus on relxing and simply eating what I know agrees with me and experiment now and then to see if can tolerate anything more. With this strategy my Crohn's has stayed in remission, my weight and appetite is good, I feel energetic, sleep well and now even my Gilbert's syndrome has normalised.

Still intrigued in probing the 'why' of everything when have time, but, as they say, it's the results that matter most :)