Retrograded Rice Starch OR Wheat Tortilla?

If you must choose... what is the healthier choice?

Portion of:
- cooled cooked rice with retrograded starch from microwave
or
- white refined wheat tortilla or flat bread

lvysaur

gluten, but both are pretty bad. Also depends how cooled you mean.

OP
General Orange
Check this out:
Resistant starch content in cooled rice vs cooked (control) increases considerably over time:
"Resistant starch contents were analyzed on freshly cooked white rice (control rice), cooked white rice cooled for 10 hours at room temperature (test rice I), and cooked white rice cooled for 24 hours at 4°C then reheated (test rice II).
The results showed that resistant starch contents in control rice, test rice I, and test rice II were 0.64 g/100 g, 1.30 g/100 g, and 1.65 g/100 g, respectively."
Effect of cooling of cooked white rice on resistant starch content and glycemic response. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
General Orange
Gluten? Ok but then the question is: are the gut permeability increasing gliadines via zonulin worse than the high resistant starch in cooled rice?

Aaron

As long as the wheat tortilla is not emulsified with any gut irritants or PUFA, I would say wheat tortilla. Good luck finding that though. Reheated rice is a better bet IMO. Rice is very easy for me to digest while that vast majority of wheat products are not. Even if the resistant starch feeds more bugs, glutenous wheat and everything emulsified with it seems to stick to the sides of the intestine and impair digestion to a far greater extent.

OP
General Orange
OK I have found that I'm better off staying away from wheat. Although the amount of fermentable fibers of wheat flour or tortilla can be 0 to 3 grams/100gr, white rice can have up to the same 3 grams of resistant starch depending on source so that doesn't matter much..

While I am not so sensitive anymore to gluten that they give me autoimmune reactions I've found that gliadin is still pretty risky stuff when it comes to it increasing the chance of Type 1 Diabetes by increase in small intestine permeability:
Gastrointestinal symptoms in T1D have been generally ascribed to altered intestinal motility secondary to autonomic neuropathy (42). However, more recent studies have shown that altered intestinal permeability occurs in T1D prior to the onset of complications (43), which is not the case in type 2 diabetes. This has led to the suggestion that an increased intestinal permeability due to alteration in intestinal TJ is responsible for the onset of T1D (43,44). This hypothesis is supported by studies performed in an animal model that develops T1D spontaneously that showed an increased permeability of the small intestine (but not of the colon) of the BioBreeding diabetic prone (BBDP) rats that preceded the onset of diabetes by at least a month (45). Further, histological evidence of pancreatic islet destruction was absent at the time of increased permeability but clearly present at a later time (45). Therefore, these studies provided evidence that increased permeability occurred before either histological or overt manifestation of diabetes in this animal model. We confirmed these data by reporting in the same rat model that zonulin-dependent increase in intestinal permeability precedes the onset of T1D by 2–3 weeks (16).

Several reports have linked gliadin (the environmental trigger of CD autoimmunity that also causes zonulin release from the gut, see ref 23 and 29) to T1D autoimmunity both in animal models and in human studies. Findings from studies using non-obese diabetic (NOD) mice and BBDP rats have implicated wheat gliadin as a dietary diabetogen (46,47). We have recently reported a direct link between antibodies to Glo-3a (a wheat-related protein), zonulin upregulation, and islet autoimmunity (IA) in children at increased risk for T1D (48).
Zonulin, regulation of tight junctions, and autoimmune diseases

OP
General Orange
As long as the wheat tortilla is not emulsified with any gut irritants or PUFA, I would say wheat tortilla. Good luck finding that though. Reheated rice is a better bet IMO. Rice is very easy for me to digest while that vast majority of wheat products are not. Even if the resistant starch feeds more bugs, glutenous wheat and everything emulsified with it seems to stick to the sides of the intestine and impair digestion to a far greater extent.
Well, we eat tortillas with beans most of the time, so that would include some PUFA then.
Rice somehow raises my heart rate notably, I dont like the feeling so much, so I have reduced my portions to a handful.
So I will be making my own corn nixta masa tortillas from now own, I don't trust the local sources here, bet they use PUFA.

edit: and I have discovered that carrots are actually more nutrient dense than rice, so I will be eating carrots with milk and tsp of CO more often. And it prevents the fatigue after eating starch. Actually carrots are boosting my mood, almost like they're tickling my gut :)

Last edited:

Luckytype

I think along these lines too. What happens when you heat rice and oatmeal for example in bowls, eat it and leave it on the counter. The oatmeal turns damn near into cement compared to the flaky rice film that covers its bowl.

SOMO

This person got sick from eating retrograded so-called "resistant starch." lol

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals