Retinyl Acetate Causing Severe Bone Pain?

cellboy

As the title says i've been getting severe bone and joint pain from changing to retinyl acetate. I used to take palmitate and even in the 20.000iu range bone pain never happened. Acetate is different though. 5.000iu(which is recommended by peat) and i can barely walk. I've stopped taking it 3 weeks ago and the pain is still there. I dont know what to do or what to take to get it out of my body. please help guys :(

jitsmonkey

have you had your Vitamin D levels checked?

with or without having had them checked
some quality vit d dosed modestly and some sunshine should improve things in the short run

OP
cellboy

cellboy

have you had your Vitamin D levels checked?

with or without having had them checked
some quality vit d dosed modestly and some sunshine should improve things in the short run
thanks for the reply man. yeah i've been taking some extra d on top of sun exposure since getting those problems but do you maybe know why palmitate didn't gave me those issues?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
EstroBan - dietary supplement with vitamins K2, A, D, E

Charlie, Yes I do have concerns about the retinyl esters. Retinol and the Retinyl acetates use different pathways. Retinol is transported by retinol binding protein for delivery into cells which is a tightly regulated process where the acetate and palmitate moiety have access into all cells indiscriminantly. Which makes retinol in milk a safe form. I would stay away from milks that have been fortified with synthetic forms. Even with liver, I said a little bit goes a long way and as Ray advises needs to be titrated to the individual. It does scare me though, because people think if a little liver is good, then a lot must be better. I wish there was an easy way to determine Vitamin A repleteness and there is many variables involved. I am still trying to work out my ideal levels but I think, immunity, skin, eyes, acne and dandruff are good places to start. It is a safe bet that people are going to be deficient if they have been following starvation and other fad diets. Look at what sort of diet grandmother had. If there was a lack of retinol in her diet, then it is a sure bet you will be suffering the consequences. I think if you are following recommendations from WAPF then you probably need to ease off and the same with paleo because it is so heavily based on animal derived foods. When it comes to supplementation I am super conservative at the point of being paranoid. I am not a cowboy, I be the very last one to try something new and never the first. Unless you have major digestive issues then you should get all you need from the variety of foods we have access to. I am someone that likes to test to see if there is truly a deficiency or imbalance. If food can have such powerful influence and it comes prepacked with all its cofactors and synergistic minerals and vitamins, then you can only imagine the implications when we fool around with isolated nutrients. Peat's right, it is hard to find supplements and meds, anything that is manufactured that is not adulterated with excipients in some way. I find it a joke with the alt MD and naturapaths. They give their clients neverending lists of supplements then recommend chelation therapy to rid them of their heavy metals and fungal metabolites. That's right all those frickin detoxes they get them to do. They are told to filter their water, decontaminate their houses, get rid of the almalgam fillings and for god sake don't eat that toxic sugar. The poor sick patient is being contaminated by the very person who supposed heal them with heavy metals, industrial chemicals and mycotoxins from the supplements they're given. What is even sadder is that the poor patient has to fork out their hard earned money to be poisoned. I already have enough enemies and I don't want to make more. I actually have a gag order placed one me so I better be careful in what I say. I wonder how many of us are out there that are silenced by these big corporate bullies?
I have attached a couple of papers. One is on chicks from 1975 and the other is a recent review which is quite dense but well worth the read. You can then decide for yourself whether it is safe for your situation.

The following sentenced from Vitamin A Transport Mechanism 2015 paper echos my sentiments.
"An excessive dose of vitamin A is toxic only when vitamin A in the circulation is presented to cells in a form other than bound to RBP, such as in retinyl esters [23].

Ray may have a different perspective and he has been around a longer than me and has a deeper and more thorough knowledge than me. He would be the go to guy to ask. :hattip
A must read from Ella

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You're welcome. I trust Ella's opinion on vitamin A.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm also no longer consuming foods fortified with synthetic A and feel better for it.

baccheion

As the title says i've been getting severe bone and joint pain from changing to retinyl acetate. I used to take palmitate and even in the 20.000iu range bone pain never happened. Acetate is different though. 5.000iu(which is recommended by peat) and i can barely walk. I've stopped taking it 3 weeks ago and the pain is still there. I dont know what to do or what to take to get it out of my body. please help guys :(
Vitamin D is recommended when taking vitamin A; therefore, vitamin K2 and magnesium as well (10 IU D3 : 40 IU palmitate : 2 mcg+ MK-4; 10 IU D3 : 20 IU acetate : 2 mcg+ MK-4).

Bone pain can be due to aromatase inhibition, low vitamin D, low magnesium, and/or low vitamin K. Vitamin A increases osteoclast activity (bone resorption) and is balanced by vitamin D + K's effect on osteoblasts/osteocalcin.

Last edited:

nwo2012

Synthetic A will act much like Accutane. Joint pain is one of the common side effects. Franko will likely reach climax over this thread.
As suggested, Vit D and exra calcium are in order.

Oh yeah K2 and Mg too. All should be ballanced.

Jewbermensch

I actually just tried retinil for the first time, 3 drops of the acetate form on my shoulder. I immediately noticed a creakiness develop in my shoulder. Worrisome...

Travis

The retinyl acetate ester is considerably more active than the triglyceride ester due to a greater water solubility. Moreover: this acetate ester exists in a one-lipid form; the retinyl glyceride exists in unison with two fatty acids, common being two medium-chained saturated ones. Retinyl glycerides are the animal storage forms found in foods, are even before it can become active the ester bond must be cleaved from the tri-, soon to be di-, glyceride via enzymatic hydrolysis. Retinyl acetate is under no such constraints, and can rightly be assumed more readily converted into retinoic acid. This little guy could float straight to retinol oxidase and become retinoic acid before it's due time. Retinol toxicologists, osteoporosis epidemiologists, and poison-control center receptionists know this; retinol acetate is considered perhaps . . . tenfold more active. Comparative dosimetry can be found in retinol review articles and that IOM report that had justified, and then had set, the current RDA.

Last edited:

Travis

Kray

You're welcome. I trust Ella's opinion on vitamin A.

Can I ask any of you on this thread to respond to some simple questions from reading what Blossom shared?

First, if one is incorporating as many good foods as possible into their diet a la Peat, is Vit A supplementation really necessary, absent acne and other symptoms listed as good indicators?

Second, if one does supplement, what dosage? I see that Retinyl Acetate is out, retinol is in- can you suggest which form(s) best/brands, if ok to say?

Many thanks-

Last edited:

baccheion

Can I ask any of you on this thread to respond to some simple questions from reading what Blossom shared?

First, if one is incorporating as many good foods as possible into their diet a la Peat, is Vit A supplementation really necessary, absent acne and other symptoms listed as good indicators?

Second, if one does supplement, what dosage? I see that Retinyl Acetate is out, retinol is in- can you suggest which form(s) best/brands, if ok to say?

Many thanks-
40 IU palmitate : 10 IU D3 : 2 mcg+ MK-4, or the RDA (2000-3000 IU).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals