Retinil - Liquid Vitamin A

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
so 10,000iu of acetate = how much palmitate ?

Multiply by about 9/5, so this means about 19,000 IU palmitate. The acetate has higher retinol equivalency than palmitate so it means lower amount is needed. In other words, you need 19,000 IU of the palmitate to match the effects of 10,000 IU acetate.

PhilParma

How dumb would it be to use this as an eye drop? For chronic dry eyes.

The palmitate version I mean. I'm not going to drop ethanol into my precious eye holes.

Amazoniac

How dumb would it be to use this as an eye drop? For chronic dry eyes.

The palmitate version I mean. I'm not going to drop ethanol into my precious eye holes.
- Correlation of vitamin D levels with tear film stability and secretion in patients with dry eye syndrome. - PubMed - NCBI
- Dry eye in vitamin D deficiency: more than an incidental association. - PubMed - NCBI
- Vitamin D Supplementation for Patients with Dry Eye Syndrome Refractory to Conventional Treatment
Didn't read any of them, was aware due to a few mentions about the association. It probably goes back to balancing these vitamins.

tomisonbottom

@haidut So I tried increasing my retinil dosage for the first time the last few months and eventually got really REALLY dry skin. I tooking it topically on my face, and that was where my skin was dry.

Orange palms seems to be the only indicator mention for too much A, and my palms are not orange, so I assume it's the ethanol in the retinil?

I have dandruff and acne issues both before and after increasing the A, so I'm not clear on if I need more, or less, or just a different type of A.

Last edited:
O

Oniyogini

@haidut we got the dmso version, my hubby has solar keratosis so we wanted to try retinil. He has one spot on the shoulder and because it constantly gets irritated by the seat belt, it bleeds on and off. He has used Tocovit, Progest E , Simply Progesterone, CO but none has completely healed it. The Retinil stings a bit on topical application on me and actually makes this spot on his shoulder bleed immediatey. Should we try the oil version? will it stain through to his work shirts?
Thank you.

B

Braveheart

@haidut we got the dmso version, my hubby has solar keratosis so we wanted to try retinil. He has one spot on the shoulder and because it constantly gets irritated by the seat belt, it bleeds on and off. He has used Tocovit, Progest E , Simply Progesterone, CO but none has completely healed it. The Retinil stings a bit on topical application on me and actually makes this spot on his shoulder bleed immediatey. Should we try the oil version? will it stain through to his work shirts?
Thank you.
you might also give 2% iodine topically a try...repeat till spot disappears

Amazoniac

Thank you.
Maybe niacinamide with a bit of aspirin and honey. Gelatin can be used to coat the region as well.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut So I tried increasing my retinil dosage for the first time the last few months and eventually got really REALLY dry skin. I tooking it topically on my face, and that was where my skin was dry.

Orange palms seems to be the only indicator mention for too much A, and my palms are not orange, so I assume it's the ethanol in the retinil?

I have dandruff and acne issues both before and after increasing the A, so I'm not clear on if I need more, or less, or just a different type of A.

Vitamin A is known to cause dry skin in high doses. Google for "retinol dry skin".

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you.

We do not have a DMSO version of retinil. We have an ethanol version which uses SFA esters + ethanol as solvent. You can try the palmitate version if the ethanol one is irritating.

superhuman

@haidut i was wondering what is the absorption rate for this in terms of orally vs topically ? I heard topically was much less absorbed

O

Oniyogini

@haidut Apologies, it's the ethanol I meant....feels like a dab of ice on application...
Hubby is trying the iodine per @bzmazu ....will try the palmitate in awhile.
thank you for your responses.

kayumochi

Thank you.

The solar keratosis on my forearms are mostly gone from taking aspirin and niacinamide orally. There is nothing for the dermatologist to remove with liquid nitrogen anymore. Recently I began applying niacinamide topically as well but too early to what effects it may have.

O

Oniyogini

He applied a mixture of aspirin and niacinamide for months but it didn't help much...do you think pure niacinamide might?

Sheik

@haidut I have an old bottle of Retinil that started smelling weird a few months ago. Do you think it's still good to use? It's the ethanol version.

...it might be because I kept it next to my Energin but judging by the smell I'd guess not.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut i was wondering what is the absorption rate for this in terms of orally vs topically ? I heard topically was much less absorbed

In the SFA ester it is probably at least 50%. The lower absorption from topical route is compensated for by the longer half life. Also, keep in mind that oral route also does not put 100% of the dose into your blood. Most of it stays in the liver. So, topical should not be underestimated just because it means lower absorption as percentage of the dose. It is what ends up in the blood that counts.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I have an old bottle of Retinil that started smelling weird a few months ago. Do you think it's still good to use? It's the ethanol version.

...it might be because I kept it next to my Energin but judging by the smell I'd guess not.

Vitamin A has a very peculiar smell. Not sure what your smells like but if you have the acetate version then I would only worry about smell if it starts smelling like vinegar as it would mean it is breaking down into retinol and acetate.

"One of the main problems with vitamin A is its chemical stability. It is sensitive to humidity, oxygen, heat, light, and heavy metals. This is why all formulations and some of the commercial types of vitamin A contain an antioxidant. However, if a dry inert gas is used to prevent all contact with oxygen and moisture, the stability of pure retinyl palmitate is found to be the same whether an antioxidant is present or not. Only thermal decomposition is then responsible for the measured losses, as shown by the figure on the next page [173]."
Like I mentioned before, switching to glass bottles with detachable dropper results in constant renewal of the air inside, it can't be good in terms of stability unless you do what Thorne is now doing: you can't remove the dropper. The customers were annoyed, but it's an economical and safe solution.
--

So this is the reason for the thorne new metered dispenser. At first i didnt like it but weeks of using im starting to get accustomed. Im taking it like an eyedrop. Fast application.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals