1. 10% Discount At RedLightMan.com For Ray Peat Forum Members!
    Click Here For More Information
    Dismiss Notice

Retinil - Liquid Vitamin A Dietary Supplement

Discussion in 'IdeaLabs' started by haidut, May 8, 2015.

1. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Yes, this is the expected color as this how retinyl acetate look like when dissolved in water/ethanol.

2. lisaferraro

lisaferraro Member

White milky.

3. EIRE24

EIRE24 Member

Thanks

4. EIRE24

EIRE24 Member

Would this supplement be more potent than nutrisorb A? And the best way to take this is drop on wrist and massage in?

5. tyler

tyler Member

Similar question to above.
    I've read somewhere, about your MK4 supplement, that to achieve the same blood concentrations, one could use a smaller amount of the vitamin topically in DMSO than they take orally.
    Does this carry over to vitamin a as well? Could I use a smaller dose of retinil to achieve the same effects I do from Oral dose of vit a is?

6. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Retinil does not use DMSO, so the absorption is much lower through skin. However, given that vitamin A accumulates in the liver that lower topical absorption may still go a long way since even a high oral dose would deliver most of the vitamin to the liver and peripheral circulation. Don't know the exact ratio of topical-to-oral for vitamin A dissolved in water/ethanol but topical absorption is probably ~25% of the applied amount. And bioavailability from a large oral dose may be as low as 10%. So, an oral dose of 100,000 IU would be about the same as 40,000 IU topically. I am using these numbers just for convenience, not to suggest somebody should be taking that much.

7. tyler

tyler Member

Awesome, thanks man.

8. bzmazu

bzmazu Member

How long on skin to get this 80% absorption?

9. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Where do you see references to 80% absorption for Retinil?

10. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

@haidut

I hate liver, and I want to use Retinil to make up for the retinol I won't be getting from liver. Is there anything I'd be missing from liver apart from the copper, B12, folate, and retinol, and do you think a glandular would be more appropriate?

11. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Liver also has vitamins E, K and D, zinc, manganese, as well as some steroids (including thyroid). If you think you are good on these form other sources than I guess you can skip the liver.

12. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Thanks for the info; I didn't know about the steroids, but I'll give Retinil a shot.

13. Mufasa

Mufasa Member

Try to find fresh liver in a local butcher, much better taste.

Lamb and chicken liver also taste better than cow liver.

14. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Member

Hello @haidut I'm using some Retinil for the first time: After not having used any supplemental VitA for a good few months, I tried some orally (2-3 drops) as well as about 8 drops topically over inner wrists and ankles ... the next day I developed tiny pimples all over my face, which have persisted 3 days later.
    The only other new thing I can think of that I've tried this week apart from Retinil is 2 drops MB in juice, 2 days in a row. Could it be my liver is being affected by the Retinil or more likely the MB do you think? My skin never normally breaks out like this.

The only other time this has happened was when I tried high(er) dose Niacinamide several years ago. At the time I asked Ray and he said Niacinamide can stress the liver at high doses if it's functioning suboptimally.

I'd love your thoughts!

PS: My temps usually hover between lowish to 36.6+, my pulse in the 80s to 90s, and my blood pressure is on the low side

15. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

First time we get report like that. Maybe you can stop for a week and see if the pimples disappear? Any other supplements you use that may contains steroids like DHEA? I don't think MB can cause it but I would try a week without Retinil and then a week without MB to see how it affects you.
    Just out of curiosity, how much niacinamide were you taking daily and for how long before you saw the pimples develop?

16. EIRE24

EIRE24 Member

This same thing happened to me, never figured it out

17. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Member

@haidut I'm not taking anything else.
    That high dose I tried of niacinamide was 900mg 2 x daily. At the time I emailed Ray and this was his response:
    "Such a large amount of niacinamide might affect the way your liver is handling hormones. A large amount of a particular chemical induces specific liver enzymes, causing the liver to specialize in that direction, spending energy that might be better used elsewhere, possibly even lowering its glycogen store."
    So I went back to 100mg 2-3 x daily. That was a year ago.

Would you recommend some taurine as a way to support my liver ongoing?

18. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Both taurine and glycine should help liver function and glycogen storage.

19. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Member

Thanks!

20. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Just wanted to say that Retinil is now available in palmitate option as well, and the palmitate option is a higher dose per drop - 5,000 IU per drop vs. the 2,400 IU per drop for the acetate version.