Restoring Tooth Enamel

cb4

Anybody have any advice regarding restoring tooth enamel? Although I love OJ, I cannot tolerate it or any other acidic food unless I brush my teeth right away with some Tom's Enamel Protecting Tooth paste. Even then I still get some nerve pain. My teeth are not in great shape, they are obviously decalcified - years of stress and poor diet have left me with gum disease and opaque teeth, not pearly white. Though only two cavities from many years ago.

Should I just watch my phosphorous intake and drink milk like there's no tomorrow? I have only started to incorporate Peat principles after years of high protein relatively low carb.

Tenacity

Brushing your teeth "right away" after consuming acidic foods may be part of the issue. The acid makes the dental material soft - brushing immediately will brush away the material before it has a chance to harden and remineralise.

I've written a post about bone-protective practices before (which should also work for teeth), I'll link it for you.

EDIT Need Help. Tooth Decay. Yellow Teeth White Spots

OP
cb4

cb4

thanks for that reply and advice. I will try to rinse instead of brush after acidic foods. I got the same reaction from yogurt, even though it has calcium. Anything fermented or cultured will be acidic. Interestingly, acidic foods tend to give me muscle twitches as well. I was not disappointed when I heard Peat advised against fermented or cultured foods. I never felt really well on them and they are all the rage right now.

Queequeg

thanks for that reply and advice. I will try to rinse instead of brush after acidic foods. I got the same reaction from yogurt, even though it has calcium. Anything fermented or cultured will be acidic. Interestingly, acidic foods tend to give me muscle twitches as well. I was not disappointed when I heard Peat advised against fermented or cultured foods. I never felt really well on them and they are all the rage right now.
Also swishing your mouth with saliva throughout the day helps to protect teeth and restore enamel. Some put egg shell calcium in mouth and swish with that

Taping mouth at night if you mouth breathe when sleeping. Keeping your mouth closed is the most important thing for enamel renewal.

Interesting, I've never come across this. Do you know why?

Most remineralizarion happens during sleep and saliva is the vehicle that remineralizes the enamel. It can't do its job when you are mouth breathing and experiencing dry mouth.

shepherdgirl

I make a rinse with xylitol and water, also sometimes a little baking soda. I rinse my mouth with it after acidic foods, including sour candy, fruit, cola/soda or juice. Also i try to sip orange juice using a straw so it doesn't get on my teeth. They also have mints that are basically compressed xylitol - if i am out i just chew one up and swish it around in my mouth after acid food. I suppose some chewing gums could also help. In terms of remineralizing toothpaste formulas, people on the forum have mentioned recaldent and novamin - see this thread. I also heard somewhere on the web that glycerin(often found in toothpaste) blocks the tooth's ability to absorb nutrients - i have no idea if it's true.

SolidSteele

Drink milk after after acidic foods. A friend showed me a study on how milk restored mouth pH faster than water or just saliva. Water and baking soda would probably be better but it wasn't included in the study.

A. squamosa

I have what looks like a little eroded spot* on my front tooth, as though the enamel has completely disappeared from this one spot - is remineralisation possible/regrowing enamel, and how long does it take? Does anyone have any successful experience with this, whether or not they've used the methods put forward in this thread?
Grateful for any responses!

*i.e. in a sea of glossy, thick white tooth, is a thinner, matte white depression, as though a layer has been scraped away in this one localised area.

Last edited:

Jsaute21

I make a rinse with xylitol and water, also sometimes a little baking soda. I rinse my mouth with it after acidic foods, including sour candy, fruit, cola/soda or juice. Also i try to sip orange juice using a straw so it doesn't get on my teeth. They also have mints that are basically compressed xylitol - if i am out i just chew one up and swish it around in my mouth after acid food. I suppose some chewing gums could also help. In terms of remineralizing toothpaste formulas, people on the forum have mentioned recaldent and novamin - see this thread. I also heard somewhere on the web that glycerin(often found in toothpaste) blocks the tooth's ability to absorb nutrients - i have no idea if it's true.

Where did you purchase the xylitol?

I have remineralized those soft opaque spots using MI Paste. I applied it straight after brushing, it seems to work best when I dry the tooth surface as well. I try not to swallow for a good while afterwards as the paste doesn't agree with me when ingested. The soft spot gradually shrank until it was completely smooth in a week or two.

shepherdgirl

The kind i bought is called Xyla- it says 100% xylitol and is derived from hardwood(more expensive), so i think no gmos- although if you're just rinsing your mouth out i'm not sure it's all that important.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals