Restoring The Small Intestinal Membrane Cures Diabetes

aliciahere

This is incredible interesting, and I hope to see a follow up.

On another note, I wonder if their are any ties or links to celiac. Their are many corollations, it makes me wonder

OP
lvysaur

lvysaur

Hint: it implicates cakes.
meaning it suggests cakes are bad? I think they're probably the most acceptable wheat product, since they're low in gluten.

How can 1 single treatment do that? Why is the effect so long lasting?
A compromised small intestine/stomach is foundational for everything else. The large intestine's health is downstream from the actual digestive organs' health.

If you fix the intestine and stomach, food is less available to the colonic microbes, so you effectively "fix" the large intestine as well. If you try to fix the large intestine, you'll probably see temporary improvement followed by regression to baseline as the microbes repopulate using undigested material.

Suikerbuik

A compromised small intestine/stomach is foundational for everything else. The large intestine's health is downstream from the actual digestive organs' health.

If you fix the intestine and stomach, food is less available to the colonic microbes, so you effectively "fix" the large intestine as well. If you try to fix the large intestine, you'll probably see temporary improvement followed by regression to baseline as the microbes repopulate using undigested material.

To be honest, I still think what you propose is an hypothesis. Beyond any doubt, the fountain of health lies in the gut, but to what extent the large intestines and undigested food matter are involved in restoring the insulin resistance remains unclear.

Here is another explanation of what might be going on also.
Endoscopic Duodenal Mucosal Resurfacing for the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes: 6-Month Interim Analysis From the First-in-Human Proof-of-Concept Study

"The more precise mechanism through which DMR elicits beneficial metabolic effects likely relates to the pathogenic changes observed in the gut of subjects with type 2 diabetes. The duodenal mucosa becomes abnormal with high fat/hexose feeding (10,2125), which in turn disturbs local nutrient absorption (26) and neuronal and hormonal signaling (24,25,27). This appears to also involve the overgrowth of certain mucosal cell types, including the K cell (10,23), which is recognized for its glucoregulatory role in secreting the incretin hormone GIP. Duodenal biopsy from humans with diabetes also shows hypertrophy, thickening, and an overgrowth of entero-endocrine cell types (22). In addition, an as yet unidentified factor isolated from proximal intestinal cells may directly impact systemic insulin sensitivity, as myocytes become insulin resistant when exposed in vitro to proteins produced by duodenal/jejunal mucosa from subjects with diabetes (28). Moreover, studies in animals and humans show that duodenal exclusion ameliorates the metabolic disturbance (9,29,30) of type 2 diabetes, and in humans and rats, an intestinal device that prevents nutrient contact with the duodenal mucosa also leads to improvement in metabolic measures (3133)."

somuch4food

meaning it suggests cakes are bad? I think they're probably the most acceptable wheat product, since they're low in gluten.

Quite the contrary, my experiment would be proof that cakes are useful to health (not store bought ones though).

Reading the results of the study, I don’t see anything to be excited about. These people continue on the diabetes medication and their A1c didn’t fall that much. They are still just a diabetic as they were before. I think this is bogus.

Suikerbuik

Time will tell. If it remains true what he has found so far (the seeming possibility of T2Ds weaning off insulin), this story will absolutely continue.

Leah Swelfer

Cirion, what is the name of the book you are reading? Would you mind sharing it ? Someone named Nate?

Time will tell. If it remains true what he has found so far (the seeming possibility of T2Ds weaning off insulin), this story will absolutely continue.

The original study, subject of this post, shows no such thing. The results are rather small. I wonder if any kind of placebo surgery would have the same effect.

managing

To be honest, I still think what you propose is an hypothesis. Beyond any doubt, the fountain of health lies in the gut, but to what extent the large intestines and undigested food matter are involved in restoring the insulin resistance remains unclear.

Here is another explanation of what might be going on also.
Endoscopic Duodenal Mucosal Resurfacing for the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes: 6-Month Interim Analysis From the First-in-Human Proof-of-Concept Study

"The more precise mechanism through which DMR elicits beneficial metabolic effects likely relates to the pathogenic changes observed in the gut of subjects with type 2 diabetes. The duodenal mucosa becomes abnormal with high fat/hexose feeding (10,2125), which in turn disturbs local nutrient absorption (26) and neuronal and hormonal signaling (24,25,27). This appears to also involve the overgrowth of certain mucosal cell types, including the K cell (10,23), which is recognized for its glucoregulatory role in secreting the incretin hormone GIP. Duodenal biopsy from humans with diabetes also shows hypertrophy, thickening, and an overgrowth of entero-endocrine cell types (22). In addition, an as yet unidentified factor isolated from proximal intestinal cells may directly impact systemic insulin sensitivity, as myocytes become insulin resistant when exposed in vitro to proteins produced by duodenal/jejunal mucosa from subjects with diabetes (28). Moreover, studies in animals and humans show that duodenal exclusion ameliorates the metabolic disturbance (9,29,30) of type 2 diabetes, and in humans and rats, an intestinal device that prevents nutrient contact with the duodenal mucosa also leads to improvement in metabolic measures (3133)."
If there is one thing we should have all learned from Ray Peat its that when modern medical researchers find a problem with "high fat" the real problem is most likely high PUFA.

I'm going through Nate's book now and in fact now reading the chapter on SIBO, and it seems one of the strategies to nuke the bad bacteria is high dose iodine (by itself), and the more extreme idea is to do an iodine + magnesium laxative solution (he mentions only recommended on the weekend with no obligations, as you can probably imagine lol, and he says this particular approach only has to be done once as the premise as I understood it is it essentially spreads the iodine along your entire intestinal tract, nuking the whole darn thing).

That method is a lot like the Xylitol Flush which I presented here some months ago. I am interested, what kind of iodine is used? I thought something like Lugol’s gets absorbed very rapidly as soon as it reaches the stomach. I’m doubtful very much Lugol’s would reach the distal lower intestine. Perhaps doing it as a salt water flush instead of using magnesium would be more effective. Salt water flushes work within minutes where as magnesium flushes can take up to 2 hours to start. I know povidone iodine does not absorb through membranes rapidly like Lugol’s - however I am unsure of the safety of ingesting povidone.

Cirion

That method is a lot like the Xylitol Flush which I presented here some months ago. I am interested, what kind of iodine is used? I thought something like Lugol’s gets absorbed very rapidly as soon as it reaches the stomach. I’m doubtful very much Lugol’s would reach the distal lower intestine. Perhaps doing it as a salt water flush instead of using magnesium would be more effective. Salt water flushes work within minutes where as magnesium flushes can take up to 2 hours to start. I know povidone iodine does not absorb through membranes rapidly like Lugol’s - however I am unsure of the safety of ingesting povidone.

Nate got back to me recently and said he has since retired this method and just supplements 20 mg Iodine a day now the normal way using Lugol's. So, for anyone reading, attempt said method at your own risk.

Peater Piper

Reading the results of the study, I don’t see anything to be excited about. These people continue on the diabetes medication and their A1c didn’t fall that much. They are still just a diabetic as they were before. I think this is bogus.
I actually found the results fairly impressive. A1C was still a percentage point below baseline after 1-year, fasting glucose was down 30 mg/dl, HOMA decreased by around 40%(!), weight dropped, AST dropped, ALT dropped. One problem is they didn't discuss if the people made any lifestyle changes after the treatment. Most of the results came within the first three months of the treatment, too fast for lifestyle changes to account for the results imo, but lifestyle changes could account for maintaining the results.

sunraiser

Surely it's more likely that it provides a temporary relief to the liver from the endotoxin burden present with a poor mucosal barrier (ie someone that is vitamin A and vitamin D deficient).

It doesn't address the underlying mineral deficiencies that are retarding insulin handling/production - mineral deficiencies which cannot be fixed without restoration of vitamin A and D in a very conservative manner so as to allow mineral balance during recovery.

It makes me feel despair that so many here have been let down by allopathic medicine and the pharm approach but are still looking for silver bullets.

Healing doesn't have to be complex or horrendous but it IS a process, one that's transient and dynamic and intuitive.

Nothing is ever likely to be fixed via a substance or procedure, and escaping from such mindset can be the first step towards health

L

lollipop

Healing doesn't have to be complex or horrendous but it IS a process, one that's transient and dynamic and intuitive.

Nothing is ever likely to be fixed via a substance or procedure, and escaping from such mindset can be the first step towards health
+1 Wish everyone would read this...

Wagner83

... I predict that researches in the future are going to show the incredible extent of energy preservation that can be achieved from mindfulness alone. I believe IF also has the potential to be less stressing than regular eating depending on an individual's capacity to store glycogen as, besides reducing Endotoxins load, it also lets the organs rest and almost constantly digesting is exhausting.
Long-Term Meditation Drastically Decreases TSH, GH, Cortisol, And Prolactin While Increasing T3
I'm not convinced by IF unless one can somehow keep calories intake high enough. I recall stumbling on some negative studis regarding metabolism and remember reading cases of people who did much better at first and then not.

Birdie

In sloughing off the mucousal layer, you are also removing the biofilm which lines the intestinal tract. Antibiotics are only able kill those organisms at the periphery of this biofilm and gram -ve's are to able to resist antibiotic killing due to the nature of their outer membrane. Those embedded deep in the biofilm will be protected and will continue to proliferate.

Makes sense to incorporate biofilm removal strategies with the foods we eat each and every day.

The following article provides some excellent ideas on how to treat. Sugar for once get a nice rap on how to incorporate into our tool kit to combat biofilms.

Natural Anti-Biofilm Agents
@Ella Thank you. Wonderful article.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals