Restoring The Small Intestinal Membrane Cures Diabetes

Suikerbuik

This is really amazing, thank you for sharing!
The main thaught here at RPF is that FFA is to blame, which I don't question, but what's the connection, is there something else that needs to be taken into account? (I have not read the article yet, so maybe it is written there how it works).

rei

Sounds like a very complicated method that achieves the same as a 2 day fast.

Elephanto

This is really amazing, thank you for sharing!
The main thaught here at RPF is that FFA is to blame, which I don't question, but what's the connection, is there something else that needs to be taken into account? (I have not read the article yet, so maybe it is written there how it works).
Many studies posted here have shown the importance of Endotoxins/TLR4 in relation to diabetes and other degenerative diseases, while Peat puts importance in preventing SIBO. I'm guessing that Endotoxins reduction (IF or longer fasts like rei mentioned, intestinal barrier integrity recovering, TLR4-inhibiting, gut flora-optimizing and antiseptic strategies) achieves the same thing as it lets the small intestine recovers from what was essentially a constant assault.

Suikerbuik

Full text: https://www.giejournal.org/article/S0016-5107(18)30344-4/fulltext, but a lot of research is still needed it seems.
@Elephanto, yeah but what exactly changes at the interface mucus-gutbarier? Is it the metabolome? is it a profound change in gut flora? Is it TLR4 signaling or not?
How can 1 single treatment do that? Why is the effect so long lasting? I am not so sure a 2 day fast could achieve exactly this, and besides that, I think fasting in metabolically compromised/ nutrient deficient people can be dangerous.

Elephanto

Full text: https://www.giejournal.org/article/S0016-5107(18)30344-4/fulltext, but a lot of research is still needed it seems.
@Elephanto, yeah but what exactly changes at the interface mucus-gutbarier? Is it the metabolome? is it a profound change in gut flora? Is it TLR4 signaling or not?
How can 1 single treatment do that? Why is the effect so long lasting? I am not so sure a 2 day fast could achieve exactly this, and besides that, I think fasting in metabolically compromised/ nutrient deficient people can be dangerous.
I would agree which is why I listed several strategies to consider as it puts more luck on your side (and in the case of diabetes I would also consider FFAs, Chromium, B1, other stress reduction strategies, movement, breathing/CO2, androgen optimization, calcium receptor antagonists like Magnesium, antioxidants, PUFAs etc). As for the treatment, its effectiveness could be explained by its topicality like starving cancer cells of Glutamine or anti-oxidant factors is very effective but limiting either in a systemic way isn't and even promotes degenerative features. In the article they are also wondering if it's only a temporary solution, unlike what we should try to achieve with systemic approaches that address many factors.

About fasting :
IF in my experience has been extremely beneficial for many parameters, but it is much less stressing than fasts of 24+ hours (which also serve a purpose when done occasionally, for instance brain autophagy which clears amyloids and restores mitochondrial respiration is vastly upregulated from 24 to 48 hours). I wouldn't worry about a temporary cortisol elevation during a few days of a year if it ends up producing an important long-term cortisol reduction as Endotoxins chronically trigger it (they also trigger Serotonin, Nitric Oxide and Estrogen) and I would also use many antiseptics at regular interval during such fast which gives better results in my experience. In the case of IF, for me willfully imposing calmness counters any perceived negative effect. Stress for me in general is the most important trigger of hunger, so I don't do IF starving and if a stress surge + urgent hunger came I would eat earlier. I predict that researches in the future are going to show the incredible extent of energy preservation that can be achieved from mindfulness alone. I believe IF also has the potential to be less stressing than regular eating depending on an individual's capacity to store glycogen as, besides reducing Endotoxins load, it also lets the organs rest and almost constantly digesting is exhausting.

Last edited:

Suikerbuik

Absolutely. Although not really ontopic: this can't be emphasized enough if you ask me:
I predict that researches in the future are going to show the incredible extent of energy preservation that can be achieved from mindfulness alone.

To add a note, those strategies like chromium, B1, other minerals, etc. are useful, but if somehow these things are sequestered or metabolized by a pathogenic intestinal barrier, that would be insightful to know.

somuch4food

I believe IF also has the potential to be less stressing than regular eating depending on an individual's capacity to store glycogen as, besides reducing Endotoxins load, it also lets the organs rest and almost constantly digesting is exhausting.

After attempting frequent small meals while starting with Peat, I deducted the same thing. Food is also a stressor to the body. Reducing frequency/IF works by reducing stress on the digestive tract.

What makes you think so?

I haven’t yet read it carefully. But consider: It is small. Open label. And sponsored by the maker of the Revita device. No adequate disclosures as to how much participation the manufacturer had.

Most studies of this type are often biased and not repeatable to be kind about it.

Cirion

I consider fasting to be a band-aid solution. Food is not a stressor, or at least, its not supposed to be. In fact, eating brings up your body temperature & resting heart rate, along with increasing blood flow to extremities if you eat the right foods, and should improve mood and energy which are all markers of health. Fasting is actually, imo, the very LAST thing you want to be doing when you're hypo. Fasting can improve energy also, but it does so through the stress (cortisol) pathway which is the last thing you want. Hypo needs constant influx of nutrients & glucose more so than a healthy person. In hypo/SIBO (I think both basically go hand in hand), there are underlying conditions that fasting will merely mask. Only healthy people can go up to 12+ hr without food without the stress response, and I know I can only only go 2-4 hr max without. I'm going through Nate's book now and in fact now reading the chapter on SIBO, and it seems one of the strategies to nuke the bad bacteria is high dose iodine (by itself), and the more extreme idea is to do an iodine + magnesium laxative solution (he mentions only recommended on the weekend with no obligations, as you can probably imagine lol, and he says this particular approach only has to be done once as the premise as I understood it is it essentially spreads the iodine along your entire intestinal tract, nuking the whole darn thing). I am gonna get around to reading the rest of it later today. Probably will try that iodine + magnesium laxative concoction this weekend. The premise is that iodine is a natural antibiotic that only kills off bad bacteria and not the good bacteria. It is true that bacteria feeds on the constant influx of foods, but it is in fact because of that, that you must bite the bullet and eat - because otherwise your body doesn't get nutrients (bacteria steals a good amount of it, explains why you are very hungry when hypo), and thats arguably worse than feeding the bad bacteria. Starving yourself to starve the bad bacteria I consider akin to chemotherapy - killing the cancer at the expense of killing yourself, not a wise idea IMO. Better to get to the root - kill the source, using antibiotics of some sort or another.

Going low FODMAP is another band-aid approach. I tried this. Yes, it reduced bloat/endotoxin but it made me go hypo again, reversing alot of the healing and improvements I was finally starting to see so I had to start all over again, I won't be doing that again. Going low FODMAP is like going low carb for a diabetic - yeah it reduces symptoms but doesn't cure the disease.

Last edited:
it's interesting what you write, @Cirion but the subject of this post is the diabetes treatment. Do you have a "diabetic" condition? I'm not trying to say don't post what you did, just want some clarity.

The Revita device claims that some sort of small intestine rotorooter can at least for a year cure diabetes symptoms.

Cirion

Ah sorry if that's off topic, I was under the impression curing the gut flora was the topic of discussion, if not my bad. I think I got a little over passionate because I'm annoyed over all the misinformation that led down the path of messing up my health specific to SIBO and whatnot!

Ah sorry if that's off topic, I was under the impression curing the gut flora was the topic of discussion, if not my bad. I think I got a little over passionate because I'm annoyed over all the misinformation that led down the path of messing up my health specific to SIBO and whatnot!

please carry on! Your post adds a lot. Glad you don't have diabetes.

Suikerbuik

I haven’t yet read it carefully. But consider: It is small. Open label. And sponsored by the maker of the Revita device. No adequate disclosures as to how much participation the manufacturer had.

Most studies of this type are often biased and not repeatable to be kind about it.

Fair enough. Though, as far as I can tell, AMC is really advanced and skilled in gastroenterology here in The Netherlands. I look forward to results of the second study and hopefully a follow-up of these people.

Well yeah, it would be interesting to study this in people with dysbiosis. I also wonder what epithelial-healing-dietary-strategies are given to those in revita2 (next trial).

qwyk

Sounds like a very complicated method that achieves the same as a 2 day fast.

Speaking as a T2 diabetic, a 2 day fast has never given me the degree or duration of remission that the article mentions.

rei

They don't go back to same lifestyle as what caused the disease and remain healthy, that is certain.

The treatment is simply taking the nuclear option in resetting the intestinal population.

Ella

Forum Supporter
In sloughing off the mucousal layer, you are also removing the biofilm which lines the intestinal tract. Antibiotics are only able kill those organisms at the periphery of this biofilm and gram -ve's are to able to resist antibiotic killing due to the nature of their outer membrane. Those embedded deep in the biofilm will be protected and will continue to proliferate.

Makes sense to incorporate biofilm removal strategies with the foods we eat each and every day.

The following article provides some excellent ideas on how to treat. Sugar for once get a nice rap on how to incorporate into our tool kit to combat biofilms.

Natural Anti-Biofilm Agents

somuch4food

Fasting is actually, imo, the very LAST thing you want to be doing when you're hypo. Fasting can improve energy also, but it does so through the stress (cortisol) pathway which is the last thing you want.

Limiting my eating frequency is what stopped the sugar roller coaster. My typical eating schedule is 7am, 12pm,4pm,7pm that leaves a little less than 12 hours of fasting.

If you eat all the time, your body is always in digestion mode. Fasting provides the body with a chance to heal some parts of the body. Unless you are bedridden, I would argue that you can endure a little hunger without getting more hypo. My take is that the body is able to figure out how to balance everything. We just have to find a way to stop the "fighting mode" triggered by inflammation of all kind. That is my own view and it is not solely based on science, but also my intuition.

Makes sense to incorporate biofilm removal strategies with the foods we eat each and every day.

Interesting, I'm currently running an experiment that seems to support these principles. Hint: it implicates cakes. Waiting for results before creating a thread.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals