Restoring Levels Of Magnesium

Velve921

How long does it take to typically restore magnesium in the body? And can anyone explain the testing results when you measure red blood cell magnesium?

I've been doing 1-2 epsom salt baths a day for 9 months with 1-4lbs a bath (depending on training that day).

In advance thanks for all advice!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

johns74

I read that copper helps to retain magnesium. Liver is a good source of copper.

treelady

Just a couple notes I have on magnesium-
- Coffee is high in magnesium :)
- Too much VITAMIN C CAN CAUSE MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY
- High doses of Vitamin D can unmask an underlying magnesium deficiency
- Magnesium is typically deficient in hypothyroidism
- Sodium helps with retaining magnesium

I take magnesium taurate supplements. I muscle test to see if my body wants it. An overdose will cause diarrhea, for me anyway. I also use magnesium chloride oil and sometimes epsom salt baths. Since on the Peatish diet my body is wanting less magnesium supplelments, maybe it's the coffee?

johns74

treelady said:
- Too much VITAMIN C CAN CAUSE MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY

Interesting. Vitamin C increases endogenous oxalic acid, which can be eliminated as magnesium oxalate. Maybe that's why.

treelady

johns74 said:
treelady, what's a muscle test?

I got this from Donna Eden years ago..
- Put the item to be tested on your solarplex (right below rib cage)
- Relax and don't think about an outcome
- If your body likes it, you will lean forward
- If your body doesn't like it, it will lean back
- It may waffle from side to side trying to decide or it may just wait and suddenly make a decision
- If it doesn't do anything, it doesn't care
- The answer you get is for "now" and you could get a different answer later

My body is so fussy, I use this all the time, testing things in the health food store, the grocery story. People must wonder about me. lol. Pretty much I test everything before it goes in my mouth. It's how I decide what supplements and medications to take and how much and when.

messtafarian

Ewlevy, magnesium can be displaced by the other salts. For example if you are uptaking too much calcium or potassium that could knock out space that would be reserved for magnesium. In a way, this is the basis for the recommendation to cut down on "salt", because this is the fourth electrolyte.

Peat would MOST DEFINITELY frown on this suggestion but if you are absolutely sure you are getting enough of the other three, you could cut back on salt for an extremely short period of time to see if that helps; especially if you are confident of your thyroid function.

TeslaFan

Ewlevy1 said:
Thanks!

Any more thoughts from others?

- Cocoa is the highest Peat-friendly dietary source of magnesium per unit of weight.
- Magnesium should be take in small doses frequently. Single large dose can cause diarrhea. So, hot chocolate made with milk, instead of water, might be preferable so that calcium in milk can provide the balance.

narouz

Magnesium & Candida & Herpes?

Here is a weird side-note.
I can't vouch for the veracity of this source,
but...just as suggestive thoughts in a new (for me) direction,
I thought I'd put it here with our magnesium posts.

I've been reviewing my past mindset on Candida.
The info below discusses a link between Candida and oral magnesium intake.
For months now I've supplemented a lot of (oral) magnesium
and have been experiencing symptoms
which could be seen as consistent with Candida infestation of the bowels.
Note also the link with herpes...

http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1884809

1921: Weston first reported that magnesium sulfate injections terminated agitated depression within a few hours. Magnesium sulfate (10% elemental magnesium) was injected in doses of one to two CCs of a 25% or 50% solution resulting in nearly all of his fifty patients relaxing and sleeping from 4 to 6 hours.
2001: Papadopol et al. showed that stress from orphanage living drove down intracellular magnesium so severely that orphans lost much of their IQ. Magnesium deficit caused a number of neuropsychological disorders including, agitation, anxiety, depression, irritability, weakness, fatigue, confusion,
asthenia, sleeplessness, headache, convulsive and nervous attacks, delirium, hallucinations and hyperexcitability.
2006: Eby and Eby reviewed the literature and suggested that high-dose magnesium treatment (800 to 1200 mg /day) was effective for depression, traumatic brain injury, headache, suicidal ideation, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, postpartum depression, drug abuse, memory loss and IQ loss. Dietary deficiencies of magnesium, coupled with excess calcium and stress may cause many cases of other related symptoms including agitation, anxiety, irritability, confusion, asthenia, sleeplessness, headache, delirium, hallucinations and hyperexcitability, with each of these having been previously documented. The possibility that magnesium deficiency is the cause of most major depression and related mental health problems including IQ loss and addiction is enormously important to public health and is recommended for immediate further study.
2006: Enya showed that depression could be immediately relieved by IV injection of magnesium sulfate, while oral magnesium oxide was not effective.
2006: Eby demonstrated that magnesium throat lozenges were effective as rescue treatment for allergy-induced asthma in adults, producing rescue in minutes. However, a common cold treated with a single 100 mg magnesium (magnesium chloride) throat lozenge producing +100 mM salivary concentration lasted two months and was very severe.
2009: Eby hypothesized that magnesium throat lozenges would severely worsen rhinovirus-induced asthma - perhaps fatally - since 30 mM magnesium chloride was shown in the 60’s to increase the release of rhinoviruses by 8- to 310-fold.

NOTE: Although magnesium over-dose is well known to produce diarrhea, very little was found concerning biologics-induced side effects of high-dose, oral magnesium treatment. However, our uncontrolled observations and the reports from others have convinced us that more consideration of its pro-herpes, pro-Candida albicans and pro-rhinovirus potential is needed.

For example - anecdotally:

1. Treatment of active genital herpes infections with +100 mM magnesium chloride greatly worsened infections.
2. Oral herpes was very greatly worsened upon use of +100 mM magnesium chloride facial treatment.
3. Daily use of magnesium chloride throat lozenges resulted in severe, chronic rhinosinusitis, apparently from a Candida albicans infection.
4. Diarrhea and intestinal distress from high-dose magnesium may be caused by overgrowth of intestinal Candidiasis as well as the well-known attraction of a large number of water molecules by magnesium.
5. A single magnesium throat lozenge worsened a common cold which lasted over two months and was only modestly treatable with zinc lozenges.

narouz

Magnesium & Candida?

More on magnesium and Candida...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2037228

FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1991 Jan 15;61(2-3):187-93.
Effect of calcium ion uptake on Candida albicans morphology.
Holmes AR1, Cannon RD, Shepherd MG.
Author information
Abstract
In liquid culture using a synthetic medium, added magnesium but not calcium was required for exponential growth of Candida albicans yeast cells. However, medium without added divalent cations supported 2-3 generations of yeast growth or germ tube induction. The addition of calcium ions (1.0 mM) at any stage during the induction of germ tube formation caused reversion to a yeast mode of growth, in contrast to the effect of zinc and cobalt ions which were toxic to all growth. Inhibition of germ tube formation by calcium was not observed in the presence of either magnesium (10 microM) or manganese (100 microM). The presence of either of these ions caused inhibition of 45Ca uptake in yeast cultures. We conclude that unrestricted calcium uptake resulted in the specific inhibition of C. albicans mycelial growth, indicating a critical role for calcium in the regulation of C. albicans morphogenesis.
PMID: 2037228 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

OP
Velve921

Velve921

So everyone is talking much about foods and oral supplements for magnesium...why is there not much emphasis on epsom salt baths? It seems to do poor gut health that skin absorption would be the best way to go?

With my athletes I have them do 1-2 baths a day(2-4lbs a bath)..especially after games and have seen tremendous results with sleep, arthritis, and back pain. Has anyone else seen these effects?

jyb

Ewlevy1 said:
So everyone is talking much about foods and oral supplements for magnesium...why is there not much emphasis on epsom salt baths? It seems to do poor gut health that skin absorption would be the best way to go?

With my athletes I have them do 1-2 baths a day(2-4lbs a bath)..especially after games and have seen tremendous results with sleep, arthritis, and back pain. Has anyone else seen these effects?

Because topical absorption is the safest and magnesium seems well absorbed topically. So, why not have a hot bath? If you don't have a bath, a footbath using a basin also works.

narouz

skominac said:
- Cocoa is the highest Peat-friendly dietary source of magnesium per unit of weight.
- Magnesium should be take in small doses frequently. Single large dose can cause diarrhea. So, hot chocolate made with milk, instead of water, might be preferable so that calcium in milk can provide the balance.

Interestingly, cocoa is also a well-known trigger for herpes.
(See my previous posts above on possible links between oral magnesium & candida & herpes.)

tara

narouz said:
skominac said:
Interestingly, cocoa is also a well-known trigger for herpes.
(See my previous posts above on possible links between oral magnesium & candida & herpes.)
I read that cocoa/chocolate can be problematic/triggering for people fighting/prone to shingles, and I wonder if this relates to high arginine content. I think Birdie does arginine restriction to manage this, including limiting chocolate and gelatine IIRC. Since the viruses are related and have some similarities in how they function, this may be relevant for herpes simplex too?

Newbophyte

And what's the difference between Magnesium Chloride and Epsom Salts (MgSO4), since both are ionic bonds and release free Mg ions in solution? Is the anion really that important? Me being a cheap, busy person in the Norteast where hot water's expensive, I use Mg oil topically before I go to bed, rather than sit around in a tub.

kineticz

Magnesium makes me more anxious. Anything that is good for the nerves makes me feel more nervous. Just goes to show how stress hormones can mask artificial energy for so long.

tara

Newbophyte said:
And what's the difference between Magnesium Chloride and Epsom Salts (MgSO4), since both are ionic bonds and release free Mg ions in solution? Is the anion really that important? Me being a cheap, busy person in the Norteast where hot water's expensive, I use Mg oil topically before I go to bed, rather than sit around in a tub.

If you are looking for the cheaper option, I think you can make up your own saturated solution of mag sulphate more cheaply than buying mag oil, and use it the same way. I haven't tried it, but someone here suggested it.

Newbophyte

That's exactly what I've been doing, I dissolve about a tsp or so in an oz of water, and put it on with an eyedropper. It dries quick, and leaves a white dusting over my body. Who knows, maybe it's working.

johns74

magnesium sulfate, commonly known as Epsom salts, is rapidly excreted through the kidneys and therefore difficult to assimilate. This would explain in part why the effects from Epsom salt baths do not last long and why you need more magnesium sulfate in a bath than magnesium chloride to get similar results. Magnesium chloride is easily assimilated and metabolized in the human body.