• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

resting pulse and mortality

Dan W

Someone on the facebook group had a response from Peat about it:
The journal's "partner" is the Bayer company. Heart journals' main function is to sell drugs. The authors described the subjects as healthy and middle aged, but within 16 years 39% of them had died. A high proportion of europeans and americans have failing hearts, and a failing heart beats faster but pumps less. I think they selected a population with a higher than average proportion of heart failure. The failing heart is unable to meet the body's need for oxygen, and a decreased ability to use oxygen corresponds to a lack of "fitness," or vitality and ability to survive.

I also wonder if there's other reasons their resting heart rate was high (stress hormones or otherwise). It seems unlikely that a typical person has a high resting heart rate because of a strong metabolism.

pboy

this might sound strange, but even though the slower heart rates live a little longer...does this mean their lives were better along the way? They might have been living a low key life, not having too many ups and downs, getting sick time to time, and live our their life...where as someone with a strong purpose and passion who experiences more ups and downs might die a little earlier, but have a faster heartrate, metabolism, and be generating a better sense of worth and purpose in their day to day lives....in essence they 'spend' their life a little quicker, but utilize it better. I guess the question is ...is the high heartrate due to motivated passion and healthy bloodflow, or is the high heartrate due to constricted bloodflow and stress?