RESPERATE-$300 BP Lowering Device - Is It Just An Easier Way To Buteyko?

yerrag

My brother-in-law uses this device. He's worried as he has high blood pressure. Using this, his blood pressure went down from 180/120 to 150/90.

I went to its website and watched the video: https://www.resperate.com/how-it-works/

It simply helps you to slow down your breathing.

So how does it work? Here it goes: https://www.resperate.com/how-it-works/

In short, "elevated sympathetic activity is reduced, opening up blood vessels to lower blood pressure."

What does "elevated sympathetic activity" mean?

For me, it merely increases CO2 in our blood, and CO2 dilates the blood vessels. Isn't this right?

So, this device isn't bad. Sure beats taking BP lowering maintenance drugs. And it's easier to do than Buteyko.

But it makes me ask: If it's about increasing CO2 in the blood, why don't we simply improve our sugar metabolism so that we an produce more CO2, and then the blood pressure will decrease. Improving our sugar metabolism will also have other benefits, such asn improving acid-base balance, and it also increases the efficiency of our energy production.

Also, if you had hypertension and the device improved it but you are nowhere near optimal still, as is the case with my brother-in-law, whose improved BP is at 150/90, isn't there some other issue that's not being addressed still?

It also leads me to ask why we would need to use Resperate, or even practice Buteyko, when we can also attack the cause of low serum CO2 directly by addressing our poor sugar metabolism. Isn't Resperate just another shortcut to lower our blood pressure, and also another way to skirt the more tedious process of improving our sugar metabolism?

What do you think?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

By the way, I don't think this would work for me. I already have optimal sugar metabolism, and I have optimal serum CO2, as seen in optimal urine pH values that doesn't fluctuate. My serum CO2 can't be further increased, and my blood pressure won't improve from this. My high blood pressure is caused by another problem.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

@tara @ecstatichamster having done Buteyko as I have, what are your thoughts on Resperate? Appreciate your opinion.

@tara @ecstatichamster having done Buteyko as I have, what are your thoughts on Resperate? Appreciate your opinion.

can't see the use if you already are practicing Buteyko. I have found a Frolov device in a jug very, very helpful. Have you tried it? You cover the jug with a kitchen towel. It forms a big reservoir for CO2 and also gives you the calculated air resistance from the Frolov. If you do exercises this way you get huge gains in CO2 not possible with any other method.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

can't see the use if you already are practicing Buteyko. I have found a Frolov device in a jug very, very helpful. Have you tried it? You cover the jug with a kitchen towel. It forms a big reservoir for CO2 and also gives you the calculated air resistance from the Frolov. If you do exercises this way you get huge gains in CO2 not possible with any other method.

I wasn't intending to use it, but wanted to see what you thought of it. I haven't used a Frolov device, although it intrigues me. So I should check it out.

I'm wondering if such devices or even Buteyko would be superfluous if one has good endogenous CO2 production from optimal sugar metabolism.

svartberg

Late reply, but looks like a cool device, reminds me of "StressEraser" Stig mentioned in his breathology book.
I can definitely see a use for that, as Buteyko has an extremely low success rate, and one of the most common mistakes is "overdoing it" & "stressing about it".

That's not really related to your sugar metabolism (which is important), the point is to break dysfunctional breathing patterns from sitted stress.

Tbh pretty intrigued about this device, but seems overpriced & poorly reviewed.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Late reply, but looks like a cool device, reminds me of "StressEraser" Stig mentioned in his breathology book.
I can definitely see a use for that, as Buteyko has an extremely low success rate, and one of the most common mistakes is "overdoing it" & "stressing about it".

That's not really related to your sugar metabolism (which is important), the point is to break dysfunctional breathing patterns from sitted stress.

Tbh pretty intrigued about this device, but seems overpriced & poorly reviewed.
Buteyko isn't really needed when one has good sugar metabolism as it lays the groundwork for having good blood sugar control and acid-base balance. With good acid-base balance, breathing is natural and normal.

Humans are the only animals that need some training to breathe correctly. Tell me, has any animal species been seen where the mom has to teach its child to breathe?

The cause of the problem is obvious to me. If you have to teach someone to breathe, there is something wrong. And it is physiological.

svartberg

Buteyko isn't really needed when one has good sugar metabolism as it lays the groundwork for having good blood sugar control and acid-base balance. With good acid-base balance, breathing is natural and normal.

Humans are the only animals that need some training to breathe correctly. Tell me, has any animal species been seen where the mom has to teach its child to breathe?

The cause of the problem is obvious to me. If you have to teach someone to breathe, there is something wrong. And it is physiological.

Thank you for the detailed reply, I love how your logic works, it's very healthy.

Let me try to answer you based on my knowledge.
The human baby actually breathes properly, a nice expansion of the diaphragm with long exhalations.
It's really during early childhood, dysfunctional breathing patterns start showing up, due to immobile stress. (in short fight or flight responses without the fight or flight that should follow)
I wouldn't say Buteyko is "needed", it's just another tool that works for some.

Now a question for you if I may, you mention you have good & natural breathing through diet, what is your current regular inhale/exhale amount and what is your Control pause?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Thank you for the detailed reply, I love how your logic works, it's very healthy.

Let me try to answer you based on my knowledge.
The human baby actually breathes properly, a nice expansion of the diaphragm with long exhalations.
It's really during early childhood, dysfunctional breathing patterns start showing up, due to immobile stress. (in short fight or flight responses without the fight or flight that should follow)
I wouldn't say Buteyko is "needed", it's just another tool that works for some.

Now a question for you if I may, you mention you have good & natural breathing through diet, what is your current regular inhale/exhale amount and what is your Control pause?
By amount, do you mean tidal volume CO2? I don't have a device for measuring. My CP would be about 35-40. Breath rate ranges from 14-18 bpm during the day, and if I believe my Sleep as Android app, it ranges from 11-19, although I wouldn't count on that.

svartberg

By amount, do you mean tidal volume CO2? I don't have a device for measuring. My CP would be about 35-40. Breath rate ranges from 14-18 bpm during the day, and if I believe my Sleep as Android app, it ranges from 11-19, although I wouldn't count on that.
By amount I meant inhale & exhale duration in seconds.

CP of 35-40 is impressive! do you attribute that to improving your sugar metabolism?
That is fascinating I will have to read more about it, thank you.
Btw what tool do you use to measure your serum CO2?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

By amount I meant inhale & exhale duration in seconds.

CP of 35-40 is impressive! do you attribute that to improving your sugar metabolism?
That is fascinating I will have to read more about it, thank you.
Btw what tool do you use to measure your serum CO2?

I have a hard time measuring my own breath rate and have settled on relying on readings of breath rate from oximeters that also measure breath rate. So, I haven't tried to measure my own inhale and exhale duration. It would also be hard as my breath rate slows down when I'm aware my breath rate is being measured.

I have no basis for comparing my past and present. My past being filled with PUFA stores and my present being of less PUFA because of going at least 4 years without minimal PUFA intake. Being PUFA -free for that long has improved my blood sugar control and I can only deduce that my sugar metabolism has improved.

I go to a diagnotstics lab to test my serum CO2 as bicarbonate, not really CO2.

svartberg

Oh ye fair enough.

If your CP is consistently in those ranges, and your normal breathing is generally longer exhales than inhales, I don't think you'd get much benefit from Buteyko or this device.

Breathing exercises have the most noticeable benefit for people with dysfunctional breathing (e.g. I was a mouth breather all my life, and developed sleep apnea before starting buteyko).

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Oh ye fair enough.

If your CP is consistently in those ranges, and your normal breathing is generally longer exhales than inhales, I don't think you'd get much benefit from Buteyko or this device.

Breathing exercises have the most noticeable benefit for people with dysfunctional breathing (e.g. I was a mouth breather all my life, and developed sleep apnea before starting buteyko).
Why did you have dysfunctional breathing? Was it due to habit or was there some physiological or functional impediment to proper breathing?

I used to have one of the two nasal passages always being stuffy. When I became conscious of it, I would just breathe with that nosteil by plugging the other nostril from time to time. It was like the nasal equivalent to a lazy eye I guess, as in time I was back to breathing with both nostrils. I think that that's just one example of many that can be corrected with conscious effort. And in a way, that was a kind of retraining although less developed and refined as Buteyko.

svartberg

Why did you have dysfunctional breathing? Was it due to habit or was there some physiological or functional impediment to proper breathing?

I used to have one of the two nasal passages always being stuffy. When I became conscious of it, I would just breathe with that nosteil by plugging the other nostril from time to time. It was like the nasal equivalent to a lazy eye I guess, as in time I was back to breathing with both nostrils. I think that that's just one example of many that can be corrected with conscious effort. And in a way, that was a kind of retraining although less developed and refined as Buteyko.

Well I mouth breathed most of my life, because "my nose was blocked" it later developed into sleep apnea.
My guess is the major culprit is from a lot of sitting & sitted stress.
The sitted anterior pelvic tilt & kyphosis encourage mouth and chest breathing, while immobile stress without outlet lead to daily hyperventilation.

I often use your hypothesis, wild animals don't mouth breathe, have sleep apnea, back problems or need glasses.
These are conditions due to modern lifestyle, and luckily some can be corrected.

Oh yes the one nostril thing is really good, thanks for reminding me that one, I think they even do it in some buteyko courses.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Oh yes the one nostril thing is really good, thanks for reminding me that one, I think they even do it in some buteyko courses.
I think boogers, be they in the nose, or in the eye - can be too much. I notice healthy cats don't have much eye boogers. I notice myself having much less in recent years. Before, when I also had frequent episodes of allergic rhinitis and colds, I had a lot of boogers. But as my health improved, the boogers are much less. And my stuff becomes less stuffy as well.

I read something recently about the neutrophils, after they finish with phagocytosis, are sent by the body to the lungs to be disposed of. But as I thought more about it, I began to think that maybe it's released as boogers? Really have no idea. Just rambling though.

I also used to wash my nose with isotonic saline solution. A neti pot does that job well.