Resolving Menstrual Issues And Migraines

alywest

Hello, I wanted to share some of my recent experiences and what I've been supplementing in case it would be helpful to anyone.

So just a bit of background, I am a 40 year old woman and I have had severely debilitating migraines and PMS for the past couple of years in particular, although I've had both for a long time. It's just that recently they've both gotten so bad that it's actually wreaked havoc on my life and health. I got to the point with my migraines where I was very sure that they were actually causing some sort of long term damage as my brain actually felt as if it was pushing up against itself and causing actual brain injury. After researching and seeing that this was indeed a risk factor for dementia, alzheimer's, etc. I decided to take action. This started me on this journey about two years ago and at that point I found Peat. The path has not been sunshine and roses, however, I finally feel that I have made some headway.

I am certain that the single most important intervention has been taking t3 and learning how to use thyroid supplements properly and figure out what works for me. While this hasn't resolved the migraines or the PMS I believe that it was the foundation of everything else that was to follow. For a while I became fixated on the idea of using progesterone as a way to balance my hormones as I was clearly estrogen dominant, however I have realized that progesterone is not enough and thyroid has always been the key for me. I was actually clinically hypothyroid so fortunately I knew that I needed to take thyroid, but of course no regular doctor was going to prescribe me t3 and even if they had, the generic t3 that we usually get in our US pharmacies is terrible (I know, I tried it.)

Fortunately I found a naturopath who actually specifically prescribed cynomel "with no substitutions", and it was the first time that I actually felt normal in a long time. However, I was still struggling with so many other issues that it wasn't enough by itself, of course. The same naturopath actually prescribed progesterone, and it made me really moody at first. I was so confused that I actually tried taking estrogen (also prescribed by the same naturopath) and woke up the next morning with dark lines under my eyes, it actually looked like someone took brown eyeliner and drew lines under my eyes. I immediately stopped the estrogen and then I went on a mission to determine which hormone is the right one, and after a full day of confusing information that basically didn't get me anywhere at all I found some information from Ray Peat and for once saw what was definitively pro-progesterone and anti-estrogen, and it discussed thyroid issues having a connection to it and I knew I had found the information I needed. It was also exciting to me because I saw that the things that I had never been able to completely avoid in my diet like sugar, coffee and dairy were not the villains they had been portrayed to be by so many "health gurus" who seem to prey on people with thyroid issues because they know how desperate we are.

So I won't bore you with all the details of my trials and tribulations over the next two years, but I will just tell you what I have landed on at this point because it is finally working. Working so well that I haven't had to take one of my triptans (basically for emergency level migraine pain) in well over a month, which is just not even possible (or is it?)

Thyroid: levothyroxine and cynomel. Taking t3 several times a day, basically anytime I think of it and at least a couple of hours have passed. I take small nibbles. When my hands start to feel cold I know that I need to take my t4, but I really only need to do that once a day, sometimes it's slightly less than 24 hours apart, though. I do it when I need to.

Progesterone: 200 mg either orally or vaginally during luteal phase. This helps me sleep better, keeps me a lot calmer. I am hoping that I won't need to take this forever but I will if I have to!

Acetazolamide: 125mg-500mg/day, usually broken up into at least 2 doses if it's more than 250mg. This has been a game changer for me. During the last week of my cycle and during my actual period I used to have so much pain in my whole body, and I believe it was an insane amount of lactic acid that would build up and just accumulate until I was actually violently ill with migraine and vomiting. The pain leading up was not as bad as the actual migraine days but it made me hate life and feel absolutely miserable and not want to do anything at all.

Thiamine: at least 1,000mg, usually 1,500 during the luteal phase. Helps me sleep better, reduces apnea that I get especially when I'm closer to my period.

CortiNon/Pansterone: 4-8 drops/day on abdomen

TocoVit: After trying several cheaper E formulations I decided to bite the bullet and get the real thing and it has already made a tremendous difference for me. The first few days I had some painful bm's but that passed and now I just take about 5 drops a day and there's no discomfort whatsoever. I know that I have a really heavy pufa load and this makes me just feel better all the way around. Less cramps during period, warmer hands, feeling of calm. It's amazing.

These are the big ones. I am taking other vitamins and I have to take some other things at times to manage pain when it does occur, but those times are fewer and further between. I rarely have to use my inhaler, like I stated before I don't have to use the triptans. I sometimes take ondansetron when I feel a bit nauseous or queasy, but at the rate I'm going a 30 day supply should last me a year. I also was starting to have really high blood pressure before I started the acetazolamide, so I was put on Losartan. I am going to take that until I feel that the higher dose of thyroid, e and acetazolamide are fully in place meaning I have been taking the correct dose long enough that my body doesn't need the support. I will update on that if anyone is interested.

Diet wise, I really try to avoid PUFA but I am not perfect. I will avoid potassium sorbate and carageenan like the plague, as well as things like red wine and other things high in sulfates. Besides that I am really not perfectly Peaty, but I drink a lot of milk and OJ. I don't always have a strong appetite and I do have some excess weight to shed that has started to come off slowly. Sometimes I put some sugar in my milk if I'm feeling like my blood sugar is low.

Some other supplements I take less often:

Ascorbic Acid
B12 (hydroxy)
niacinamide
myo-inositol
Choline
methylfolate
mistletoe extract

To me the biggest take away is that I believe I was underestimating my thyroid needs, and I'm starting to really understand why Ray Peat is always talking about thyroid. Of course it's possible to become hyperthyroid and that's not good for anyone. However, being subclinical hypothyroid is actually really dangerous and raises your risk for heart disease, so it's a fine line. Also it seems that a lot of men on this forum have issues taking t4, so maybe women are better at processing it. I don't know. Anyway, I actually don't like to talk about myself on this forum or on any website for that matter, so I'm doing this simply for the sake of helping people that might relate to the issues I have. I am in no way advocating that anyone take acetazolamide just because. I think anyone with metabolic issues probably can use some thyroid but it can take a lot of trial and error to get the right amount and figure out what works for you. Everyone is different. I'm just sharing this so you can maybe learn a thing or two from my mistakes and if you have any questions feel free to comment!

wintagal

Thanks, alywest, for your detailed info. I've also been working on my thyroid dose and have cut way back on T4 (too much rt3) and added in some T3. How much T4 are you taking? Or is it just as you feel you need it? Are your body temps higher?
Also, which state is your naturopath in? I also get a prescription from a naturopath, in Oregon, and I'd like to know if other states also allow them to prescribe thyroid in case I ever move.
Thanks
Kathy

OP
alywest

alywest

Thanks, alywest, for your detailed info. I've also been working on my thyroid dose and have cut way back on T4 (too much rt3) and added in some T3. How much T4 are you taking? Or is it just as you feel you need it? Are your body temps higher?
Also, which state is your naturopath in? I also get a prescription from a naturopath, in Oregon, and I'd like to know if other states also allow them to prescribe thyroid in case I ever move.
Thanks
Kathy
Lol the naturopath actually was in Oregon! I'm not sure about other states yet. I currently live in Arizona and I order my t3 from Mexico. I actually just got my first shipment of Triyotex (sp?) and so far so good! I actually think it might be better than cynomel. But I am actually prescribed levothyroxine by my GP, and she actually recently tried to cut my dose from 88mcg to 75mcg because my TSH was so low. I have continued taking the 88mcg and I will hopefully have enough to last me until the weather starts to warm up again. Then I might try going to 75mcg. I can usually tell that I have to take my t4 because my hands will be cold. T3 warms me up temporarily but t4 is really what maintains my body temperature. I went through a bout of low temps recently when I travelled to a cold weather climate for a week. Traveling always throws me off but this was getting weird. I couldn't warm up even when I got home. Last night my 4 year old son said to me "mom, you're warm again!" This is after I started the triyotex and also started using some CBD oil. So I wish I knew what actually made me warmer! As you may know already, CBD has no THC in it, and they have found that the anandamides in it actually lower TSH, and in higher doses have no effect on t4 or t3 status. It also helps raise HDL cholesterol levels and reduce inflammation. It also helps to start making LH and reduces growth hormone. LH isn't necessarily a good thing in and of itself, but I recently read RAy Peat write about how some women fail to stop producing FSH during their periods, because estrogen is so high, so I am one of those women and so I'm definitely going to be trying CBD oil during my period in larger doses. Sorry to go off on that tangent but I thought I'd just make that update while I'm at it for full transparency's sake!

OP
alywest

alywest

Thyroid and progesterone can be so helpful for these conditions.
They are absolutely a must, however it is interesting to me that I still needed the acetazolamide. I'm wondering how long I am going to have to take it.

wintagal

Thanks for all the info! Regarding your comment about low TSH, I've ordered the book Tired Thyroid. Take a look at the website - everything she says is supported by science. I've been struggling with supplemental thyroid not working since 2009 and I am coming to believe that she has it exactly right. She says that you can optimize lab numbers for free T3 and free T4 but then TSH will be low. If TSH is optimal, then one or both of the others will be low.
I'm following her concept (Tired Thyroid) because I got into huge trouble in December. I had a stomach flu and then spent 2 weeks in bed. I think the flu triggered massive rT3 as I continued taking my high dose (200mg ) levothyroxine. My heart rate dropped to 55, my temps were low 97s, and I felt so fatigued I stayed in bed with the heating blanket on. Once I stopped taking any thyroid, my temps came up to 98+ and I gradually felt better. After 2 weeks with no supplemental thyroid, I began to feel tired and cold so I added 50 mcg T4 and 30 mcg of Armour. It takes over 6 weeks for everything to stabilize after dose changes so I will track my symptoms and then get labs (Life Extension).

OP
alywest

alywest

Thanks for all the info! Regarding your comment about low TSH, I've ordered the book Tired Thyroid. Take a look at the website - everything she says is supported by science. I've been struggling with supplemental thyroid not working since 2009 and I am coming to believe that she has it exactly right. She says that you can optimize lab numbers for free T3 and free T4 but then TSH will be low. If TSH is optimal, then one or both of the others will be low.
I'm following her concept (Tired Thyroid) because I got into huge trouble in December. I had a stomach flu and then spent 2 weeks in bed. I think the flu triggered massive rT3 as I continued taking my high dose (200mg ) levothyroxine. My heart rate dropped to 55, my temps were low 97s, and I felt so fatigued I stayed in bed with the heating blanket on. Once I stopped taking any thyroid, my temps came up to 98+ and I gradually felt better. After 2 weeks with no supplemental thyroid, I began to feel tired and cold so I added 50 mcg T4 and 30 mcg of Armour. It takes over 6 weeks for everything to stabilize after dose changes so I will track my symptoms and then get labs (Life Extension).
So I'm not sure if I understand, is the website saying that TSH should be higher? I guess that most people say it should be between 1-3. I don't know if I agree that TSH is the main way to convert t4 to t3, though. According to Ray this is done mostly in the liver and that's why he's so adamant about liver health. And selenium is a really important factor in the process as well, which is found abundantly in seafood. He seems to feel pretty strongly that TSH should be as low as possible, although I know that it can be driven down artificially by t4 supplementation. Do you know any of your thyroid lab values? I know my free t4 is decent (1.2) and my TSH was REALLY low (.02) at my last reading last month. I'm about to find out more detailed results from an endocrinologist who seems to be in line with Peat a little more so I'll keep you posted on what she says. My doc lowered my prescription amount for t4 based on my TSH being so low, but only by 13 mcg (88 to 75). I started to take the lower dose and I couldn't keep my body temperature up at all, I was freezing all the time! So I am taking what's left of my 88 mcg supply. I got my blood drawn a couple of days ago so it will be interesting to hear what the other doc has to say.
I think that if I wasn't taking 200 mg of progesterone for the last two weeks of my cycle my body would be ravaged by estrogen. Are you taking any progesterone?

wintagal

For me it's all about the rT3 - my fT3 and fT4 can be high, over the range, but I will nonetheless feel hypo if my rT3 is high. Don't know why I have that problem. TSH is not useful for me. I'm interested in an endocrinologist who is Peatish!

tillpickle

Hello, I wanted to share some of my recent experiences and what I've been supplementing in case it would be helpful to anyone.

So just a bit of background, I am a 40 year old woman and I have had severely debilitating migraines and PMS for the past couple of years in particular, although I've had both for a long time. It's just that recently they've both gotten so bad that it's actually wreaked havoc on my life and health. I got to the point with my migraines where I was very sure that they were actually causing some sort of long term damage as my brain actually felt as if it was pushing up against itself and causing actual brain injury. After researching and seeing that this was indeed a risk factor for dementia, alzheimer's, etc. I decided to take action. This started me on this journey about two years ago and at that point I found Peat. The path has not been sunshine and roses, however, I finally feel that I have made some headway.

I am certain that the single most important intervention has been taking t3 and learning how to use thyroid supplements properly and figure out what works for me. While this hasn't resolved the migraines or the PMS I believe that it was the foundation of everything else that was to follow. For a while I became fixated on the idea of using progesterone as a way to balance my hormones as I was clearly estrogen dominant, however I have realized that progesterone is not enough and thyroid has always been the key for me. I was actually clinically hypothyroid so fortunately I knew that I needed to take thyroid, but of course no regular doctor was going to prescribe me t3 and even if they had, the generic t3 that we usually get in our US pharmacies is terrible (I know, I tried it.)

Fortunately I found a naturopath who actually specifically prescribed cynomel "with no substitutions", and it was the first time that I actually felt normal in a long time. However, I was still struggling with so many other issues that it wasn't enough by itself, of course. The same naturopath actually prescribed progesterone, and it made me really moody at first. I was so confused that I actually tried taking estrogen (also prescribed by the same naturopath) and woke up the next morning with dark lines under my eyes, it actually looked like someone took brown eyeliner and drew lines under my eyes. I immediately stopped the estrogen and then I went on a mission to determine which hormone is the right one, and after a full day of confusing information that basically didn't get me anywhere at all I found some information from Ray Peat and for once saw what was definitively pro-progesterone and anti-estrogen, and it discussed thyroid issues having a connection to it and I knew I had found the information I needed. It was also exciting to me because I saw that the things that I had never been able to completely avoid in my diet like sugar, coffee and dairy were not the villains they had been portrayed to be by so many "health gurus" who seem to prey on people with thyroid issues because they know how desperate we are.

So I won't bore you with all the details of my trials and tribulations over the next two years, but I will just tell you what I have landed on at this point because it is finally working. Working so well that I haven't had to take one of my triptans (basically for emergency level migraine pain) in well over a month, which is just not even possible (or is it?)

Thyroid: levothyroxine and cynomel. Taking t3 several times a day, basically anytime I think of it and at least a couple of hours have passed. I take small nibbles. When my hands start to feel cold I know that I need to take my t4, but I really only need to do that once a day, sometimes it's slightly less than 24 hours apart, though. I do it when I need to.

Progesterone: 200 mg either orally or vaginally during luteal phase. This helps me sleep better, keeps me a lot calmer. I am hoping that I won't need to take this forever but I will if I have to!

Acetazolamide: 125mg-500mg/day, usually broken up into at least 2 doses if it's more than 250mg. This has been a game changer for me. During the last week of my cycle and during my actual period I used to have so much pain in my whole body, and I believe it was an insane amount of lactic acid that would build up and just accumulate until I was actually violently ill with migraine and vomiting. The pain leading up was not as bad as the actual migraine days but it made me hate life and feel absolutely miserable and not want to do anything at all.

Thiamine: at least 1,000mg, usually 1,500 during the luteal phase. Helps me sleep better, reduces apnea that I get especially when I'm closer to my period.

TocoVit: After trying several cheaper E formulations I decided to bite the bullet and get the real thing and it has already made a tremendous difference for me. The first few days I had some painful bm's but that passed and now I just take about 5 drops a day and there's no discomfort whatsoever. I know that I have a really heavy pufa load and this makes me just feel better all the way around. Less cramps during period, warmer hands, feeling of calm. It's amazing.

These are the big ones. I am taking other vitamins and I have to take some other things at times to manage pain when it does occur, but those times are fewer and further between. I rarely have to use my inhaler, like I stated before I don't have to use the triptans. I sometimes take ondansetron when I feel a bit nauseous or queasy, but at the rate I'm going a 30 day supply should last me a year. I also was starting to have really high blood pressure before I started the acetazolamide, so I was put on Losartan. I am going to take that until I feel that the higher dose of thyroid, e and acetazolamide are fully in place meaning I have been taking the correct dose long enough that my body doesn't need the support. I will update on that if anyone is interested.

Diet wise, I really try to avoid PUFA but I am not perfect. I will avoid potassium sorbate and carageenan like the plague, as well as things like red wine and other things high in sulfates. Besides that I am really not perfectly Peaty, but I drink a lot of milk and OJ. I don't always have a strong appetite and I do have some excess weight to shed that has started to come off slowly. Sometimes I put some sugar in my milk if I'm feeling like my blood sugar is low.

Ascorbic Acid
B12 (hydroxy)
niacinamide
myo-inositol
Choline
methylfolate
mistletoe extract

To me the biggest take away is that I believe I was underestimating my thyroid needs, and I'm starting to really understand why Ray Peat is always talking about thyroid. Of course it's possible to become hyperthyroid and that's not good for anyone. However, being subclinical hypothyroid is actually really dangerous and raises your risk for heart disease, so it's a fine line. Also it seems that a lot of men on this forum have issues taking t4, so maybe women are better at processing it. I don't know. Anyway, I actually don't like to talk about myself on this forum or on any website for that matter, so I'm doing this simply for the sake of helping people that might relate to the issues I have. I am in no way advocating that anyone take acetazolamide just because. I think anyone with metabolic issues probably can use some thyroid but it can take a lot of trial and error to get the right amount and figure out what works for you. Everyone is different. I'm just sharing this so you can maybe learn a thing or two from my mistakes and if you have any questions feel free to comment!
That’s interesting to kno

Ascorbic Acid
B12 (hydroxy)
niacinamide
myo-inositol
Choline
methylfolate
mistletoe extract

this is interesting to know Thankyou.
I have been under the impression that taking progesterone for ED symptoms (heavy bleeding, weight gain, migraines) would solve the issue, but in fact I think by increasing my doses I’ve made matters worse! I’m so swollen and have accumulated loads of belly fat.
Currently taking 12 drops /day. Going to cut back slowly, and focus more on thyroid.
Haidut feels that methylene blue would be a good addition also.
Would love to know how you’re going now

Hi alywest, I just wanted to ask if the Triyotex is still working for you and also how much were you taking.

tillpickle

Thought I’d better update my experiences also in the event it helps someone.
In my last post I was questioning progesterone’s part in my weight gain, puffiness and belly fat. So I set about to reduce progesterone and to focus more on thyroid (T3), also as a way of trying to reduce HEAVY HEAVY periods, and in-between constant bleeding.
Reducing the progest e , whilst done gradually, turned out to be not the greatest idea. It resulted in a flooding period and I went to hospital. In hindsight, I could have slowed the bleeding myself with ibuprofen. They gave me Tranexamic acid, which works, but results in migraine headache in 50% of cases (myself included).
So I left the ER, threw away the script for TA. Took high doses of ibuprofen (400mg every 4-6 hours) for a few days, whilst simultaneously returning to high doses of progest e. (3 large drops , 5 x day

It was around this time I also implemented a few dietary tweaks with thanks to the input of Danielbb, I drastically cut back on the full fat milk I was consuming , and began separating carb/fat meals, and my weight is heading in the right direction for the first time in years. (So the progesterone
Was not the cause)

I also began playing around with CT3m doses of T3. All changes were made gradually, but I’m currently sitting at 20mcg at 4.30am, and occasionally another 5mcg at 2.00pm.

My bleeding has stopped completely in the past two weeks!. And I feel that’s it’s the combination of progest e AND T3 that’s done the trick. Also my energy levels have picked up dramatically and I can entertain the idea of exercise again.

I cannot begin to describe the feelings of relief and elation that finally my hard work (with the help of others) has paid off.

My wish is that others in the same boat can benefit from this information, and from this forum in general, in order to get quicker outcomes.

For the record I also take :
B12 injections
Vitamin D (5000iu atm to get levels up)
Iron (to rebuild after hospital visit)
B3 (niacinamide) a ‘nibble’ after meals.

That’s interesting to kno

this is interesting to know Thankyou.
I have been under the impression that taking progesterone for ED symptoms (heavy bleeding, weight gain, migraines) would solve the issue, but in fact I think by increasing my doses I’ve made matters worse! I’m so swollen and have accumulated loads of belly fat.
Currently taking 12 drops /day. Going to cut back slowly, and focus more on thyroid.
Haidut feels that methylene blue would be a good addition also.
Would love to know how you’re going now

tillpickle

@tillpickle what brand of T3 do you use?

I am using Tertroxin, which was prescribed to me a couple years ago by my then GP who has since left town. I didn't really know how to use it first time around (used too much too soon) so I shelved it.
I've been to three GP's since (here in Australia) and none of them will prescribe it, so i'm now looking at either Tiromel (from Turkey I think) or Haidut's Tyronene. The latter I know will reach me as I've ordered from Haidut before. Turkey I'm not so sure about.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals