Resistant starch in potatoes

Dutchie

Yes,I've acually heard this various times. And from what I've gathered resistant starch is supposed to be good,as beneficial gutbacteria feed on it and produce butyrate from it?

When I was little,my grandma used to keep leftover boiled potatos in the fridge and then the next day when they became more firm from the nigth in the fridge,she'd sautee them in butter with onions,carrots&peas and lots of slices of cheese thrown in. That was always one of my favorite dishes,loved that throwtogether with all the melted cheese which made everything stick together.

pboy

indeed, I read a study done on various starches....after first boiling, they found about 6-8% undigested byproducts, when left to cool it went up to about 16% (doubled), and if reheated after an initial cooking then cooling, it went down to about 13%. So basically, fresh cooked is most digestible, eating cold is least digestible, and reheating is somewhere in the middle

Someone without a forum account sent me this study to share. In short, boiled potatoes that were then cooled at 5°C (a reasonable fridge temperature) for 24 hours had significantly higher levels of resistant starch:
In Vitro Method, Based on Chewing, To Predict Resistant Starch Content in Foods Allows Parallel Determination of Potentially Available Starch and Dietary Fiber
There is a a whole camp of Resist Starchers, but Ray Peats speaks of resistant starch as being bad, and feeding the bad bacteria as well as the good.