Replacing starch with sucrose increases metabolism, prevent obesity

haidut

Forum Supporter
A study that will certainly generate controversy in the low-carb blogosphere, but the findings are hard to dispute. Namely, feeding a diet for 15 weeks, in which 74.3% of the calories come from carbs in the form of starch was clearly obesogenic, caused insulin resistance and elevated blood glucose, triglycerides, and free fatty acids (FFA). Replacing 38.5% of the calories with sucrose resulted in striking insulin sensitivity, lower triglycerides, and lower free fatty acids in the blood despite the highest caloric daily intake in the high-sucrose group compared to both the normal and high-starch diet groups. And the mechanism behind these highly beneficial effects of sucrose? Increase in the resting metabolic rate by about 20%. So much for the "white poison" rearing its ugly head in every grocery store. :):

Chronic high-sucrose diet increases fibroblast growth factor 21 production and energy expenditure in mice - PubMed
"...In this study, we show that mice fed a chronic high-sucrose diet do not develop obesity, primarily due to an increase of energy expenditure accompanied with increased expression levels of ChREBP and FGF21 mRNA in liver and BAT. Body weight as well as glucose metabolism is regulated by various hormones such as GLP-1, which contributes to reduction of weight gain by slowing gastric emptying and suppressing appetite [8] as well as increasing energy expenditure [10], [11]."
"...Thus, chronic high-sucrose diet increases FGF21 production concomitant with increase of the expression levels of ChREBP mRNA in liver and BAT. It also increases the expression levels of FGFR1c and KLB mRNA. These changes act to attenuate weight gain by increasing energy expenditure (Fig. 6)...SUC-fed mice show increased energy expenditure and potent insulin sensitivity..."

Perry Staltic

I always wonder what kind of starch or carb when I read stuff like this because it's never mentioned. As if all carbs/starches are the same. Complex carb or refined carb? Resistant starch or regular starch? They are metabolized differently.

AndrogenicJB

A study that will certainly generate controversy in the low-carb blogosphere, but the findings are hard to dispute. Namely, feeding a diet for 15 weeks, in which 74.3% of the calories come from carbs in the form of starch was clearly obesogenic, caused insulin resistance and elevated blood glucose, triglycerides, and free fatty acids (FFA). Replacing 38.5% of the calories with sucrose resulted in striking insulin sensitivity, lower triglycerides, and lower free fatty acids in the blood despite the highest caloric daily intake in the high-sucrose group compared to both the normal and high-starch diet groups. And the mechanism behind these highly beneficial effects of sucrose? Increase in the resting metabolic rate by about 20%. So much for the "white poison" rearing its ugly head in every grocery store. :):

Chronic high-sucrose diet increases fibroblast growth factor 21 production and energy expenditure in mice - PubMed
"...In this study, we show that mice fed a chronic high-sucrose diet do not develop obesity, primarily due to an increase of energy expenditure accompanied with increased expression levels of ChREBP and FGF21 mRNA in liver and BAT. Body weight as well as glucose metabolism is regulated by various hormones such as GLP-1, which contributes to reduction of weight gain by slowing gastric emptying and suppressing appetite [8] as well as increasing energy expenditure [10], [11]."
"...Thus, chronic high-sucrose diet increases FGF21 production concomitant with increase of the expression levels of ChREBP mRNA in liver and BAT. It also increases the expression levels of FGFR1c and KLB mRNA. These changes act to attenuate weight gain by increasing energy expenditure (Fig. 6)...SUC-fed mice show increased energy expenditure and potent insulin sensitivity..."
do you think sugar rots teeth,

David90

I always wonder what kind of starch or carb when I read stuff like this because it's never mentioned. As if all carbs/starches are the same. Complex carb or refined carb? Resistant starch or regular starch? They are metabolized differently.
Yeah it would be interesting to know what kind of Starch it was.

I also lowered my Starch Intake to around 50g Daily and increased my Sucrose/Fructose Intake. Notice my Weight is slowly even going down.

SamYo123

How do you know it’s causing you endotoxin (overload/increase - I’m assuming that’s what you meant)? ?
Meh i duno

white sugar = red seb derm face

oats = gassy but helps with good bowl movements

Sitaruîm

This is why I try to mix starches with sucrose, instead of having big starch portions I'll have a smaller starch portion with good fructose sources, for example oats with stewes fruits and white sugar

SamYo123

This is why I try to mix starches with sucrose, instead of having big starch portions I'll have a smaller starch portion with good fructose sources, for example oats with stewes fruits and white sugar
Yeh that would cause me massive flakkiness and redness