Replacing Milk Fat With Coconut Oil

forterpride

Hey guys. I subsist of cafe con leche all day pretty much (ocassional liver and shelffish for nutritent) my question is ...what are your guys thoughts on drinking fat free to avoid the pufas in milk...and instead getting all my fat from coconut oil mixed in milk?

schultz

I was doing this for a while. I also drink latte's, or whatever you want to call them, all day. Usually I use 1% but I was fooling around with a really low fat diet for a while (under 5g of fat). I felt sort of funny on it so I decided to add coconut oil to get more fat but keep the PUFA low still (0.5% of calories) and felt much better. I'm going to continue the experiment after I finish a huge workload that I need to concentrate on (I can't focus on two things at once).

I was adding 1tsp of coconut oil to each latte. It was the kind with the coconut flavour which actually made the latte taste really good, whereas a skim milk latte tastes like garbage to me.

I really want to try this diet using fully hydrogenated coconut oil but I can't find any. I would do a 20% fat diet with pretty much all of it coming from hydrogenated coconut oil (zero PUFA from that). From the studies I've read, rats that go on an EFAD diet with added HCO have greater weight reduction, higher mead acid and can tolerate the addition of PUFA to a higher degree than the no-fat diet. This dovetails nicely with what Ray says about coconut oil displacing PUFA and having a protective effect. Also, fat is important for fat-soluble vitamins.

Most of the hydrogenated coconut oils online that I find are called 92degree coconut oil, which to me means it's partially hydrogenated and I don't trust it. This site...

http://www.welch-holme-clark.com/coconu ... -_veg.html

... seems to have a legitimate fully hydrogenated coconut oil, but they only sell it to businesses I believe.

Ray found hydrogenated coconut oil but said it was sort of difficult to get.

OP
forterpride

forterpride

Well thats exciting. I'm doing the exact same thing. I was subsisting of 1% caffe lattes (for me that just means a big glass of milk with a tbsp of sugar and tbsp of instant coffee and 1/2 teaspoon salt) But I thought to myself..."huh...how can i make this even MORE optimal"...and the only thing that occured to me was replacing the milkfat with coconut oil to replace the pufas completely. I've been doing this for a few days now...and the first thing ive noticed now that im eating a teaspoon of coconut oil for every 20 oz of milk...is that my pulse is running a lot higher than normal. It seems to make my t-3 doses work more effectively. But it's too early to make a definitive assertion about that. I'm going to try this for a month and see what happens. Keep me posted on your results as well! Thanks!.

ps. I just use regular LouAnna coconut oil

Wilfrid

schultz said:
I was doing this for a while. I also drink latte's, or whatever you want to call them, all day. Usually I use 1% but I was fooling around with a really low fat diet for a while (under 5g of fat). I felt sort of funny on it so I decided to add coconut oil to get more fat but keep the PUFA low still (0.5% of calories) and felt much better. I'm going to continue the experiment after I finish a huge workload that I need to concentrate on (I can't focus on two things at once).

I was adding 1tsp of coconut oil to each latte. It was the kind with the coconut flavour which actually made the latte taste really good, whereas a skim milk latte tastes like garbage to me.

I really want to try this diet using fully hydrogenated coconut oil but I can't find any. I would do a 20% fat diet with pretty much all of it coming from hydrogenated coconut oil (zero PUFA from that). From the studies I've read, rats that go on an EFAD diet with added HCO have greater weight reduction, higher mead acid and can tolerate the addition of PUFA to a higher degree than the no-fat diet. This dovetails nicely with what Ray says about coconut oil displacing PUFA and having a protective effect. Also, fat is important for fat-soluble vitamins.

Most of the hydrogenated coconut oils online that I find are called 92degree coconut oil, which to me means it's partially hydrogenated and I don't trust it. This site...

... seems to have a legitimate fully hydrogenated coconut oil, but they only sell it to businesses I believe.

Hi,
I don't know where you live but in France you can find fully hydrogenated coconut oil under the brand name " Végétaline ". Untill recently, the manufacturer was still using a mix from coconut and palm oil but they finally removed the palm.

nikotrope

Wilfrid said:
Hi,
I don't know where you live but in France you can find fully hydrogenated coconut oil under the brand name " Végétaline ". Untill recently, the manufacturer was still using a mix from coconut and palm oil but they finally removed the palm.

Damn I never thought Végétaline was coconut oil, I never read the label because the name was giving me the impression it was like vegetable oil... :lol:

YuraCZ

Coconut oil (MCT) in larger amount gives me diarrhea. Butter is best fat source by far..

livrepensador

forterpride said:
Hey guys. I subsist of cafe con leche all day pretty much (ocassional liver and shelffish for nutritent) my question is ...what are your guys thoughts on drinking fat free to avoid the pufas in milk...and instead getting all my fat from coconut oil mixed in milk?

Hey forterpride, what´s up?
Do you have some update about the coconut oil?

I saw this thread and remember that before Peat i used to drink cafe con leche (here in Brasil we call "pingado") for breakfast and one day i ate a tablespoon with the drink and feel really warm...
Now, with Peat knowledge, i see was my thyroid working!
Im really interested in do this.... monday i will start!

:D

DaveFoster

Coconut oil > dairy fat for nutrition (MCT's) and metabolic health. Dairy fat > coconut oil for taste.

livrepensador

DaveFoster said:
post 114188 Coconut oil > dairy fat for nutrition (MCT's) and metabolic health. Dairy fat > coconut oil for taste.

Hey DaveFoster, what does it mean?
Sorry, but english is not my native language :P

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveFoster

livrepensador said:
post 114464
DaveFoster said:
post 114188 Coconut oil > dairy fat for nutrition (MCT's) and metabolic health. Dairy fat > coconut oil for taste.

Hey DaveFoster, what does it mean?
Sorry, but english is not my native language :P
Milk fat tastes better. Coconut oil is better for thyroid.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnwester130

I discovered a recipe so that the coconut oil does not float on top and gets mixed throughout the drink

Incredible Recipe I Have Discovered, "coconut Oil Milk "

paymanz

It sounds good to replace milk fat with CO,a bit lower PUFA and MUFA, and you have lots of MCTs.

But you also lose some good things like CLA and omega 7s with it.

OP
forterpride

forterpride

Hey forterpride, what´s up?
Do you have some update about the coconut oil?

I saw this thread and remember that before Peat i used to drink cafe con leche (here in Brasil we call "pingado") for breakfast and one day i ate a tablespoon with the drink and feel really warm...
Now, with Peat knowledge, i see was my thyroid working!
Im really interested in do this.... monday i will start!

:D

I quit doing this only because Danny told me I'd be missing out on certain nutrients in the milk fat. Not saying thats the best reason to stop doing something...but alas..it's why I did. I also have completely quit my daily t3 doses and only take 1 grain of thyroid at night every since I've started everyday with 30 minutes of deep stretching type yoga and my temps go through the roof to 99 degrees and stay there all day as long as i do this every morning. Diet is now only 1/2 milk 1/2 oj all day long and 1 oz liver a day. 16 oz of oysters a week. Thats it. Nothing else. Quit all my supplements. Felt SO much better since I did this. Now only take one gram of cypro in a.m. and one at night. I can't describe what quiting vit A, D, K , and E did for me personally. I feel 100lbs ligheter. My digestion is a breeze. I really think the yoga coupled with a simple nutrient dense diet that is friendly on the gut is important now. neways.

tyler

I quit doing this only because Danny told me I'd be missing out on certain nutrients in the milk fat. Not saying thats the best reason to stop doing something...but alas..it's why I did. I also have completely quit my daily t3 doses and only take 1 grain of thyroid at night every since I've started everyday with 30 minutes of deep stretching type yoga and my temps go through the roof to 99 degrees and stay there all day as long as i do this every morning. Diet is now only 1/2 milk 1/2 oj all day long and 1 oz liver a day. 16 oz of oysters a week. Thats it. Nothing else. Quit all my supplements. Felt SO much better since I did this. Now only take one gram of cypro in a.m. and one at night. I can't describe what quiting vit A, D, K , and E did for me personally. I feel 100lbs ligheter. My digestion is a breeze. I really think the yoga coupled with a simple nutrient dense diet that is friendly on the gut is important now. neways.
Do you think you could share your yoga routine? I've been dabbleing myself and really enjoying it.

Hgreen56

Have you done this experiment yet?

Jessie

Old post, I don't know if you're still active, but I'd be curious to know just what your caloric intake netted to daily. Subsisting on pretty much nothing but latte suggests a caloric deficit. My guess is PUFA isn't an issue, regardless of what type of milk you use.

Lets say, hypothetically, you were using a quart of milk per day. A quart of whole milk would be roughly 1.8 grams of PUFA. 2% milk would around 0.7 grams of PUFA per quart, 1% is around 0.3 grams per quart, and skim only has 0.7 grams of TOTAL fat per quart (PUFA was n/a). These readings are taken from cronometer btw.

In your situation, I would probably just stick with the whole milk to keep my caloric intake at a respectable level. If you're worried about that marginal amount of PUFA (1.8 grams), just take a little aspirin with it. In this context, I would be more worried about not hitting enough calories then I would be with the PUFA. Even with whole milk you're way under that 4 gram threshold for PUFA.

schultz

Have you done this experiment yet?

Sort of. I did it strictly for 4 weeks. I'm not sure it was long enough? I felt pretty good, but it's hard to maintain that kind of strict obsessive diet when you have a wife and kids. I'd like to try it for 6 months. It would take some dedication that's for sure.