Renal and metabolic effects of three months of decarbonated cola beverages in rats - PRO COCA COLA

Rock_V

Epidemiological studies have shown an association between the intake of cola beverages and chronic kidney diseases. Experimental evidence for the negative effects of cola intake on kidneys is lacking. Male Wistar rats had ad libitum access to water (control group) or three different sugar-sweetened cola beverages for three months. Despite very high cola intake (daily cca 140 mL), no differences were found in body weight, kidney weight, glomerular morphology, oxidative and carbonyl stress or expression of selected marker genes in the renal cortex. Interestingly, all groups consuming cola beverages had lower blood glucose levels during an oral glucose tolerance test, suggesting improved insulin sensitivity. Despite hyperfiltration (5-6-fold increase in diuresis), cola beverages had no effect on assessed parameters of renal function, histology, gene expression or oxidative stress. Moreover, cola intake seems to increase creatinine clearance and to decrease plasma levels of urea. In our study increased insulin sensitivity and altered renal functional parameters were observed in rats receiving cola beverages for three months. Whether the findings are due to the short duration of the study or interspecies metabolic differences should be uncovered in further studies. Even more interesting might be the analysis of effects of cola intake in animal models of diabetes.

@haidut

Gustav3Y

or interspecies metabolic differences
Some intellectuals have even argued that only testing on a single race of rats is going to have skewed results due to inherent strengths and weakness of a purposely race of rats, not to mention growing up in an environment that lack stress, multitude of pathogens and toxins, were we humans tend to have plenty of those issues.

OP
R

Rock_V

I see what you mean, context is important.

Interesting though that despite 'very high cola intake' 'all groups consuming cola beverages had lower blood glucose levels during an oral glucose tolerance test, suggesting improved insulin sensitivity'

Gustav3Y

Yes, indeed the results are positive for sure in what the study presents.
But also genetic and environmental context is perfect.

Melekai

Anyone care to speculate on what the results might have been, had the drinks not been decarbonated?

I

i_nomad

Anyone care to speculate on what the results might have been, had the drinks not been decarbonated?
I can’t tell if this is a genuine or leading question… but, either way, I’m also curious.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals