removing lead safely?

Hugh Johnson

tara said:
post 114294 This article seems to confirm the above hazard. I don't know much about chlorella, but I think there has been a bit of opinion here about it having downsides. Wasn't one of the issues that it's hard to be confident that it isn't already contaminated with heavy metals itself?
Meh, almost all plants can be contaminated with heavy metals. Seems no different from purchasing rice. It's a judgement call.

I'd do some research, then test it if I were confident enough. If it works great, give it to kids. If not, I'd live.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

tara

Hugh Johnson

tara said:
post 114330
Hugh Johnson said:
post 114321 almost all plants can be contaminated with heavy metals
Yeah. Especially greens. :(
While you have every right to feel your feelings, I really don't think you can be blamed here. Few parents could have even found the heavy metal problem, and no one could be expected to know about it in advance. I can't imagine how anyone could have been a better parent here.

Sheila

Hello Tara,
I hope this answer is not too disjointed and refers to your reply.

For children, you may just have to go with supplemental calcium. I used to give calcium phosphate and had very good results, even children requesting that they had some, which suggests need. In children, the phosphate is not so bad as in adults, but the oxide or bicarbonate would likely be safer. Some children just can not tolerate dairy or don't have much of it and I think the stress response is at the bottom of this so the more processed dairy - cheese and icecream, where tolerated might work.
'My' icecream recipe is
350mls pouring non-thickened cream
350mls strained yoghurt, preferably fruit flavoured
4 bare tablespoons of honey
in a bowl, flog with a stick whisk, freeze, eat.
It can be made with caster sugar instead of honey but will set harder.
If you accidentally use thickened cream, it sets like road core.
Maybe that will entice your children?

Regarding chelators, I think the bowel will do its job if it can. Some children with very chronic stuff have improved using CoQ10 tatically (7yo 200mg a day divided doses) which may be less harsh in providing energy and clearance than cascara. Just a thought.

Awkward holes in teeth, not sure that mercury is that brilliant cf ceramics or whether that it is just thought to be better. There was a lot of resistance to changing to merc-free, old habits die hard and it's perhaps even harder to acknowledge you've been poisoning people all these years. I think oil pulling has tremendous merit, with a drop of essential oil for extra antibacterial effect and works to not only reduce bacterial load by physical lipophillic attraction (at least I think this is how this works) but also to allow appropriate healing. It might be that oils have a similar effect inside on gut membranes and that is some of their anti-inflam effect. I am aware of the PUFA issue of course, so mono-unsats or fully saturated oils are preferable. The more I look at it, the more I think there is a pressure exerted from the inside out in keeping teeth and gums healthy and the better the gut the better the gums. This does not mean that tactical measures aren't warranted, so another swish I have had success with is
cup of very strong, cooled black tea (2-3 teabags used) and 1-2 drops of essential oil as a tightening swish. It will also get into holes and hopefully sterilise/tighten any sloppy tissue.
If there is active pain etc., then add some chilli oil/extract, more essential oil (to 6 drops, do not swallow this tea)) and perhaps some crushed cloves to the mix too. The aim here by adding chilli is to bring circulation to the area to speed healing as well whilst the anti-microbial essential oils do their job. If you've got plant bits in there (say had to use fresh chilli) then you only want the liquid parts, so filter. Can be used 2-3 x a day or more if needed. Clove oil applied to the area is anaesthetic and antimicrobial. If all else fails, topical 2.5 - 5% xylocaine (anaesthetic) may also get you through whilst
more regular swishes are performed. I think the key here is regularity and of course working on the gut. I am in conversation with you here, not judgment, these are just suggestions I have found work repeatedly. Up shot is, holes may happen but it's the gum health that is critical as to what may develop further, at least that's my feeling. Teeth are also bellweathers, IMO of bone health and one of the things I noticed working this way using Dr Peat's understandings was lack of calculi as the calcium I do have was used, not deposited inappropriately (a marker of a diseased state).
Righty ho, that will do I am sure on teeth, I will post now on lead.

Sheila

With respect to your lead testing, blood lead means current load. Children tend to move it on quickly and also absorb more to begin with (faster systems) so I am not sure you can conclude it was higher before. Difficult without more tests from the past. This is always the problem with single tests of course. Hb is short hand for haemoglobin, sorry.

All your prior lead suspects are credible and lead load can be spot more than equally spaced and certainly just widespread windspread. Turning over the garden for example might expose more or bury more (lower than the plants can tap) so it's an inexact science. Consider drinking water pipes and lead flashing and certainly if you live next to a busy road, is US petrol still leaded?? If you have well water, I would be wary of that. Water solubilised lead is far more problematic than via veg where you at least have to break down the fiber efficiently to get it.....Also ceramics/china with heavy coloured glazes, strong colours on things (including plastic toys) and especially from China often include heavy metals in those glazes which do slowly but surely come off in food etc. This lot had good info, may be of use, but don't frighten yourself please
http://www.lead.org.au/fs-index.html

I am sorry to hear about your issues with dairy - that is hard. Eggshell does seem to work but many calcium supplements really induce bowel problems from irritation. Sometimes I think it's like silicon dioxide's effect, pure irritant unless ultra fine. Could it be added to (appropriate) flour based products if you baked? No perhaps I have just suggested gritty muffins, sorry. I've never tried, but if magnesium sulphate can be soaked into the body by foot, can calcium sulphate be used similarly? I believe gypsum has been used to treat water to remove heavy metals like lead, so it's conceivable it could help with removal slowly by foot soaks. It is less soluble in hot water than cold IIRC and it is the main constituent of plaster of paris so care perhaps! I shall try this in due course. I have used it internally (USP grade) to help with blood purification (and it works really well) and wound healing, it might just work in a foot bath too, not sure however that it would have sufficient calcium for your needs but, maybe, an option, if we don't turn your feet to stone in the process of course.

I am not sure about additional vit C these days, cooked garlic seems useful for those who tolerate it. But mostly I think many of these strategies are adding sulphur to the liver to aid detoxification and that might be the key for some people. Sulphur can be surprisingly deficient, hence the people who go well on taurine, biotin, thiamine, epsom salts and maybe even gypsum!

Regarding garlic and your children, if they don't like it, it is likely not for them. After many years of battling in the other direction, I have belatedly realised, THEY KNOW what they need and when, so I follow their cravings and food wants and try to understand the methodology behind them using RP understandings. If, as we know, garlic seems to target liver and kidneys (it has also been used to help with arsenic poisonings in Bangladesh via arsenic heavy water causing renal cancers) then it maybe theirs have sufficient or do not want more stimulus in that area, or just get physically irritated in some way. I know plenty of people who can only tolerate onion and garlic fried but not boiled or raw, so the form of garlic seems important too.
There is a reasonable quantity of sulphur in eggs, many children these days can not tolerate these either. I read of pregnenolone issues there (not sure how correct) and Vit A supplementally was helpful - it is essential for progesterone synthesis I think and reducing cortisol (as Haidut has recently posted). As you would know, too much cortisol and progesterone is not made properly. But to answer your question, Estroban topically might be just the thing, I am also experimenting with large dose A (as research trialed over the years with sickly kids) with month spacing vs. lower every day dose. In the past you may recall a dessert spoon of cod liver oil (high A) was given with dark treacle (contains sulphur) as the immune booster of choice for children. I think the treacle was also there to prevent them all from vomiting too! It seemed to work though in those I have spoken to who remember it. But then, who would want it to fail for another dose?
And with that, enough already, hope this helps in some way.
Sheila

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals