Removing Iodine From The Body

OP
S

shepherdgirl

@tara
Thank you for your post, it makes me less worried and reinforces and adds to what others were saying as well. I recall that while I was taking iodine (over four years ago) I did become hypo for a couple days (and immediately quit taking it!) Luckily I bounced back to my usual low-normal state.
Hopefully this hyper period will pass soon. Yes removing it from the body might not be worth it and could even backfire - plus it's slow going and a more restrictive diet.
Thanks for the salt tip - I use pickling and canning salt - I believe Dr. Peat said it was low/no iodine.

burtlancast

yes I still believe it is over estimated. And I’ve spent time in Japan.

Check the scientific articles reporting very high urinary excretion of iodine in the Japanese.

Kingpinguin

Japanese diet contains about 5-10% of seaweed. There’s 3 types of seaweed most popular nori, wakame and kombu kelp.
5-10% is more than 30 grams of seaweed but now I’m using that as an example. If you ate 10grams if each nori, wakame and kombu. Thats basically a tablespoon of each seaweed per day. Combined that is a bit over 20 000% of the RDI of Iodine. I doubt some westerners even get 100%. That actually means Japanese eating this small amount of seaweed daily gives them 200 times what I would assume most people get. Thats even more than what @burtlancast suggested. And then you are not even counting iodine from other foods like fish and shellfish etc wich is also rich in iodine. All im counting is 10 grams each of 3 different japanese seaweeds commonly eaten everyday.
So you still believe japanese iodine intake is over estimated? Do you have any data too support that claim?
Imo. dont wanna seem offensive. Just curious because I believe what burtlancast says is true. And you can check the facts and even calculate it yourself.
I don’t believe iodine is so harmful. And the cancer goitrogenic properties. Thats whats over estimated.

yes I still believe it is over estimated. And I’ve spent time in Japan.[/QUOTE]

what does you spending time in japan have anything to do with iodine estimation of their diets?
I’ve also been to japan among other places.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

In 2017 before i found Peat as you, I also took large doses of Lugol iodine along with moderate selenium according to the protocol of Dr. Brownstein. Now I remember that time and it, like you, doen't give me rest, it seems then during these dosages that something changed in my well-being and it lasts by this time, although I tried a lot of things. At that time, large dosages seemed to make me hyper, I was too excited, my heartbeat increased, my skin seemed to itch and became dry reddish and loose as if from estrogen, dry lips and mouth and a lump in my throat, pressure intensified in my head, at first I felt energy and excitement, but for some time this feeling was taken by constipation, discomfort in the liver side, prostration, slowness and spatiality of the mind, somewhere then my mood collapsed and I became like a robot, honestly now a few years later I even I don’t remember how I was before. The problem is that some of these symptoms persist until now. Didn’t my TSH then jump very high, and later how did you it fall to zero to hypo? Now I ask myself how much then it hurt me and whether that iodine is still present in my tissues now. Recently, I wanted to create the same topic and also thought about goitrogens, bromite, chlorine, fluorine and selenium as compensation for this old excess. What do you think guys would be the right test to test this problem, TSH, t3, t4?

Hi Ihor,
Some people in this thread were mentioning TSH as a good test. How much iodine were you taking and for how long?
It makes sense that your heart rate increased with the large dose. But were you still taking it when you experienced the slowdown? Wondering if you became hypothyroid, do you know if that's what happened? Have you tested your thyroid?

Ihor

Hi Ihor,
Some people in this thread were mentioning TSH as a good test. How much iodine were you taking and for how long?
It makes sense that your heart rate increased with the large dose. But were you still taking it when you experienced the slowdown? Wondering if you became hypothyroid, do you know if that's what happened? Have you tested your thyroid?
Hello, It was something about 50mg/daily in the protocol as i remember and it was about one mounth. I don't remember well, after this symptoms slowdown it seems i became hypo and reduced dosage, then after all this I was still taking a little lugol sometimes but then dropped it completely. I never tested my TSH, only t3, t4 some years ago before i was taking iodine and it was well. Now I think to take TSH, t3, t4 test, my symptoms are similar to hypo now, i also had NDT supplement and it gives me nothing.

Last edited:

tara

I use pickling and canning salt
I think that's just salt (NaCl) without additives. But you can look at the packaging and check. Where I am, the iodised salt is labeled.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

Hello, It was something about 50mg/daily in the protocol as i remember and it was about one mounth. I don't remember well, after this symptoms slowdown it seems i became hypo and reduced dosage, then after all this I was still taking a little lugol sometimes but then dropped it completely. I never tested my TSH, only t3, t4 some years ago before i was taking iodine and it was well. Now I think to take TSH, t3, t4 test, my symptoms are similar to hypo now, i also had NDT supplement and it gives me nothing.

Well I think high TSH is associated with too much iodine. But TSH also increases if you're hypothyroid. So if you already know you're hypo, I guess a TSH test won't actually tell you much.
So have you been hypothyroid since you stopped the iodine, or did your thyroid return to normal after you quit taking it?
I am not sure that trying to remove iodine is a good idea after reading the posts in this thread. Besides, it's a lot of work just to remove a little iodine - it would take many years of a strict regimen, unless I'm missing something. And if your iodine level has "normalized" by now, I'm not sure whether it would matter or not.
Maybe you could try to write to Dr. Peat to see what he thinks.
You say that you tried NDT and it didn't work for you. Well different types of NDT are working differently - maybe you did not find a type that was right for you. Also, as I understand it you have to go slowly with adjusting it until you find the right dose. I am sure there is some good info on this forum about NDT.
Wish you best of luck with this!!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals