Removing Iodine From The Body

shepherdgirl

I regret that before I knew of Dr. Peat I had taken a large amount of iodine because I thought it would help my health. (Perhaps there are some other Peaties on here in my boat.) I would like to remove it from my body if possible, now that I know how dangerous it is, and I was wondering what could help - maybe giving blood (without the iodine swab, of course)? Drinking fluoridated water (Ugh!) ? Avoiding large sources of iodine in food? Sweating in the sauna or gym? Wondering if anyone has any suggestions - thanks so much!!

LeeLemonoil

Iodine is benign in normal food-derived amounts, very beneficial even.
It removes itself by becoming iodolipids and even the iodine stored in the thyroid helps combat pathogens and gets used up in the process. Don’t obsess about iodine, just don’t supp it. And stay away fluoride.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

Thanks @LeeLemonoil
How does it become iodolipids?
I am not talking about normal food derived amounts, but supplementation. Ray said that too much iodine can poison the thyroid.

Kingpinguin

Thanks @LeeLemonoil
How does it become iodolipids?
I am not talking about normal food derived amounts, but supplementation. Ray said that too much iodine can poison the thyroid.

have you had a TSH test? It is usually elevated if you are iodine poisoned. I did the same my TSH was high. It eventually goes down. How long time ago was it you used high doses? Dont think you have any toxic levels in you anymore. It normalizes quite fast. High dose iodine been used it medicin for radiation therapy for years. Nothing to worry about.

Ras

Ray said that too much iodine can poison the thyroid.
Ray is wrong. I know that there is some apotheosis of Ray in this forum, but he's wrong about iodine. You will destroy your health by trying to lower your body's iodine stores.

There is ample evidence that Dr. Peat is right. But there are benefits to iodine sometimes. I find 1g of potassium iodide once or twice a day gets rid of UTI infections like nobody's business.

Over TIME, more than physiological amounts of iodine increase chances of thyroid cancer. I think that is true.

Given that, the OP should not bother lowering iodine stores. Just don't take any more supplemental iodine.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

@Kingpinguin
Last time I had my TSH checked (in the summer) it was zero and the dr said I was hyperthyroid. I should probably check TSH again. I stopped the high doses spring 2015.
Thanks for your feedback @Kingpinguin and @Ras

OP
S

shepherdgirl

@ecstatichamster
Thanks for your post.
Do you mean 1mg?
If I understand correctly you are emphasizing duration of dosing - it has been more than four years since I have taken it.
I currently have a bit of thyroiditis as well as hyper symptoms. I am trying l-carnitine and goitrogens but still have too many stress hormones. I am worried about the iodine I took possibly having an effect. Don't you think that I still could have higher thsn physiological levels? Or maybe @Kingpinguin is right and the level normalizes. I suppose I could get a test.

burtlancast

I find 1g of potassium iodide once or twice a day gets rid of UTI infections like nobody's business.
That's interesting. Iodine is excreted mainly through urine, so it would make sense . How many times did it do the trick ?

Over TIME, more than physiological amounts of iodine increase chances of thyroid cancer. I think that is true.

Japanese ingest 50-100 times the normal iodine dose over their entire lifetimes and they show some of the lowest incidence of thyroid cancer among industrialized nations.

Ihor

In 2017 before i found Peat as you, I also took large doses of Lugol iodine along with moderate selenium according to the protocol of Dr. Brownstein. Now I remember that time and it, like you, doen't give me rest, it seems then during these dosages that something changed in my well-being and it lasts by this time, although I tried a lot of things. At that time, large dosages seemed to make me hyper, I was too excited, my heartbeat increased, my skin seemed to itch and became dry reddish and loose as if from estrogen, dry lips and mouth and a lump in my throat, pressure intensified in my head, at first I felt energy and excitement, but for some time this feeling was taken by constipation, discomfort in the liver side, prostration, slowness and spatiality of the mind, somewhere then my mood collapsed and I became like a robot, honestly now a few years later I even I don’t remember how I was before. The problem is that some of these symptoms persist until now. Didn’t my TSH then jump very high, and later how did you it fall to zero to hypo? Now I ask myself how much then it hurt me and whether that iodine is still present in my tissues now. Recently, I wanted to create the same topic and also thought about goitrogens, bromite, chlorine, fluorine and selenium as compensation for this old excess. What do you think guys would be the right test to test this problem, TSH, t3, t4?

Last edited:
That's interesting. Iodine is excreted mainly through urine, so it would make sense . How many times did it do the trick ?

one or two dosages usually.

Japanese ingest 50-100 times the normal iodine dose over their entire lifetimes and they show some of the lowest incidence of thyroid cancer among industrialized nations.[/QUOTE]

The Japanese iodine consumption has been wildly over estimated I think.

Kingpinguin

one or two dosages usually.

Japanese ingest 50-100 times the normal iodine dose over their entire lifetimes and they show some of the lowest incidence of thyroid cancer among industrialized nations.

The Japanese iodine consumption has been wildly over estimated I think.[/QUOTE]

Japanese diet contains about 5-10% of seaweed. There’s 3 types of seaweed most popular nori, wakame and kombu kelp.
5-10% is more than 30 grams of seaweed but now I’m using that as an example. If you ate 10grams if each nori, wakame and kombu. Thats basically a tablespoon of each seaweed per day. Combined that is a bit over 20 000% of the RDI of Iodine. I doubt some westerners even get 100%. That actually means Japanese eating this small amount of seaweed daily gives them 200 times what I would assume most people get. Thats even more than what @burtlancast suggested. And then you are not even counting iodine from other foods like fish and shellfish etc wich is also rich in iodine. All im counting is 10 grams each of 3 different japanese seaweeds commonly eaten everyday.
So you still believe japanese iodine intake is over estimated? Do you have any data too support that claim?
Imo. dont wanna seem offensive. Just curious because I believe what burtlancast says is true. And you can check the facts and even calculate it yourself.
I don’t believe iodine is so harmful. And the cancer goitrogenic properties. Thats whats over estimated.

Ras

Elevated TSH when talking iodide is to be expected, as TSH rises to stimulate the symporter.

The Japanese iodine consumption has been wildly over estimated I think.

Japanese diet contains about 5-10% of seaweed. There’s 3 types of seaweed most popular nori, wakame and kombu kelp.
5-10% is more than 30 grams of seaweed but now I’m using that as an example. If you ate 10grams if each nori, wakame and kombu. Thats basically a tablespoon of each seaweed per day. Combined that is a bit over 20 000% of the RDI of Iodine. I doubt some westerners even get 100%. That actually means Japanese eating this small amount of seaweed daily gives them 200 times what I would assume most people get. Thats even more than what @burtlancast suggested. And then you are not even counting iodine from other foods like fish and shellfish etc wich is also rich in iodine. All im counting is 10 grams each of 3 different japanese seaweeds commonly eaten everyday.
So you still believe japanese iodine intake is over estimated? Do you have any data too support that claim?
Imo. dont wanna seem offensive. Just curious because I believe what burtlancast says is true. And you can check the facts and even calculate it yourself.
I don’t believe iodine is so harmful. And the cancer goitrogenic properties. Thats whats over estimated.[/QUOTE]

yes I still believe it is over estimated. And I’ve spent time in Japan.

jaminhealth

I could NEVER buy into the higher dose of iodine, so I follow Dr. David Williams Iosol protocol and take 1 drop of Iosol 1830 mcg daily, started out taking 2 drops daily for a while and now do the 1 drop. Works good for thyroid and breast health and all body tissues.

I steer clear of fluoridated water as best I can and "F" pulls iodine from our body. Eat some sea foods but not a lot..

tara

I'm trying to remember where else I've read about it, but can't recall source, sorry. But IIRC, usually the system will adapt itself to increases and decreases in iodine, but if it gets way too much the adaptation is to shut down some functions for a while. Then when the iodine reduces, there is a risk that for a few people it doesn't start up properly again. If what I read and recall is correct, then taking it either has or hasn't already caused trouble. There's a good chance it may be fine, and if not, removing it won't necessarily resolve the trouble.
If you want to reduce intake, one of the obvious sources to avoid is iodised table salt, if that is what you have around.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals