Remove Your Braces And Retainers!

Mauritio

In the last week I started developing the theory that a chronic bacterial infection / endotoxemia might also be caused by wearing a retainer or metallic braces in your mouth.
If you think about it ...we know that metals like iron feed bacteria . I don't know if cobalt or nickel can as well ,but I suppose so.

So if it sits in your mouth 24h a day even a small "leakage" into your mouth might be enough over time to cause harm ,since it's a constant stream ,which is really close to your oral mucosal membrane as well.
So first we need to know that,these metals are able to be absorbed from a retainer . Exactly that showed this study:

Release of Metal Ions from Orthodontic Appliances: An In Vitro Study
"The concentrations of magnesium, aluminum, silicon, phosphorus, sulfur, potassium, calcium, titanium, vanadium, manganese, iron, cobalt, copper, zinc, nickel, and chromium were significantly higher in artificial saliva in which metal brackets, bands, and wires used in orthodontics were incubated. In relation to the maximum acceptable concentrations of metal ions in drinking water and to recommended daily doses, two elements of concern were nickel (573 vs. 15 μg/l in the controls) and chromium (101 vs. 8 μg/l in the controls). "

So we got many metals of concerne here , but mainly nickel and chromium.
Many retainers are made of nickel .

Unfortunately according to this study nickel by itself is able to activate the endotoxin ,TLR4 receptor :

MD-2 Determinants of Nickel and Cobalt-Mediated Activation of Human TLR4
"Recent findings unexpectedly revealed that human TLR4 can be directly activated by nickel ions"

If that is not enough Ray peat has said that exposure to nickel might be amongst the factors causing autism . We know autism is linked to high serotonin levels which are caused by chronic bacteria overgrowth /endotoxin .

I have been wearing a retainer for 10 years.
I have been to the dentist today and asked them to remove the retainer,but they said it should be worn as long as it stays in your mouth.
She said mine is already a bit loose, so when I got home I just pulled the darn thing out .
Didn't expect it would be so easy but it was in there for more than 10 years so maybe it got a bit loose already.

I have chronic bacteria /endotoxin problems for a long time and mostly found very short term relieve from anti biotic substances.
So I hope it will help my recover to have gotten rid of this bacteria feeding ,metal leaching thing in my mouth.

LuMonty

How did you remove yours? I finally got an appointment to remove mine after years of trying. Whether the orthodontist does it or I do it, I'm afraid of damaging my teeth.

I stopped wearing my removable retainer a few years ago because my mouth swelled up a bunch and I could barely remove it.

As far as endotoxin etc I know exactly what you and that study mean. My salivary glands are always nasty, throat and tongue always swollen. Unfortunately, I inherited my mother's allergy to nickel, though it sounds like it's allergenic enough in general at that high concentration.

tankasnowgod

In the last week I started developing the theory that a chronic bacterial infection / endotoxemia might also be caused by wearing a retainer or metallic braces in your mouth.
If you think about it ...we know that metals like iron feed bacteria . I don't know if cobalt or nickel can as well ,but I suppose so.

Iron is a unique metal in that it really encorages bacterial growth. I think cobalt and nickel have some antibacterial properties- Antibacterial properties of nine pure metals: a laboratory study using Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. - PubMed - NCBI

However, even if a retainer isn't directly feeding bacteria, I don't doubt that it's providing a good home for them, and likely causing some buildup. I used a plastic type retainer in my teens, very similar in design to a mouthguard, and that thing was notorious to try and keep clean. And the higher levels of metal in saliva is concerning enough. Good post, good ideas.

LUH 3417

I pulled out my own braces when I was 13 using a nail clipper and cuticle tool to scrape the cement glue off my teeth. The orthodontist said I did a better job than any of her interns.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

It was apparently so loose that I didn't have to pull super hard or else I wouldn't have done it
..the right end was already a bit loose and I could move it with my tongue up and down, so I started there and pulled the rest down. There is still some residue from the retainer but 99% is out .

LuMonty

It was apparently so loose that I didn't have to pull super hard or else I wouldn't have done it
..the right end was already a bit loose and I could move it with my tongue up and down, so I started there and pulled the rest down. There is still some residue from the retainer but 99% is out .
That's great, I'm happy for you! Unfortunately for me, mine isn't loosened at all.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Iron is a unique metal in that it really encorages bacterial growth. I think cobalt and nickel have some antibacterial properties- Antibacterial properties of nine pure metals: a laboratory study using Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. - PubMed - NCBI

However, even if a retainer isn't directly feeding bacteria, I don't doubt that it's providing a good home for them, and likely causing some buildup. I used a plastic type retainer in my teens, very similar in design to a mouthguard, and that thing was notorious to try and keep clean. And the higher levels of metal in saliva is concerning enough. Good post, good ideas.
It's funny that you say that , cause I just now found a scientific analysis of the exact metal-composition of these wires/retainers/brackets and although there seem to be small amounts of nickel ,chromium other metals the main metal is actually iron!
Which reinforces the idea of a retainer creating a constant stream of food for bacteria.If I interpreted that right :

Attachments

• 20191114_231931.jpg
    20191114_231931.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 19
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

That's great, I'm happy for you! Unfortunately for me, mine isn't loosened at all.
You could try this: the dentist told me if it really bothered me and hurt my tongue or sth. else I could get it removed so that might be sth. you could tell them ...

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I pulled out my own braces when I was 13 using a nail clipper and cuticle tool to scrape the cement glue off my teeth. The orthodontist said I did a better job than any of her interns.
Lol . Did the dentist have to work on the area afterwards in order to make it more soft or clean out the residues?
Because I removed mine but there's still some residue left ...

LuMonty

You could try this: the dentist told me if it really bothered me and hurt my tongue or sth. else I could get it removed so that might be an sth. you could tell them .
Luckily my orthodontist agreed to remove it after I said I was allergic to it. Unfortunately I have to wait almost two weeks for the appointment.

LUH 3417

Lol . Did the dentist have to work on the area afterwards in order to make it more soft or clean out the residues?
Because I removed mine but there's still some residue left ...
Yes I remember her using some rotating device similar to what they use when they clean your teeth at a regular visit.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Luckily my orthodontist agreed to remove it after I said I was allergic to it. Unfortunately I have to wait almost two weeks for the appointment.
Yeah but what are two weeks compared to 10 years or so of wearing it? Be happy that you made the right choice :clapping:

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Yes I remember her using some rotating device similar to what they use when they clean your teeth at a regular visit.
Oh okay. Thanks.

LuMonty

Yeah but what are two weeks compared to 10 years or so of wearing it? Be happy that you made the right choice :clapping:
That's definitely a better way of looking at it. I'm glad you posted about this.

Cameron

I almost chocked on mine one night after eating dinner. So my retainer literally almost killed me

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I almost chocked on mine one night after eating dinner. So my retainer literally almost killed me
So it came of by itself without you doing anything ?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Correct. Without warning it was out and I started chocking on it. I’m surprised that it hasn’t happened to more people.
Yeah my dentist told me that it would fall of on its own one day . She didn't tell me about the potential danger though . Guess it's not fun having such a metal thing in your throat..

schultz

Haha, this is amazing. Definitely goes into the category of extreme DIYer.