Remineralizing Teeth/reversing Erosion?

lindsay

I have had good luck with Carlson's brand vitamin K2 - it has excipients, but it worked for denise minger, so I decided to give it a whirl. My teeth are much stronger and I've noticed that they are developing that nice enamel feel without much tartar. I use toothpaste though - fluoride free organic stuff.

Also, in the past couple of months I've been eating tons of cheese - like probably 3 to 4 oz. of hard cheese per day. Hard cheese also contains K2. I think fermented dairy products are superior to unfermented dairy when it comes to bone strength because the bacteria can produce K2 in the gut (I think). Plus, I notice better results from cheese as opposed to milk - although, I haven't been buying raw milk lately, which is probably superior in general.

Peatri Dish

Ray of Hope: no mouth guard yet but that is my next move. Also, I've heard the serotonin thing before but now I'm seriously considering it. My husband is on SSRIs and has tried twice to get off of them(sertraline) but it becomes unbearable for everyone!
I guess he'll have the last laugh if I have to start a serotonin clearing protocol!
A young friend told me that she was told to reach right into her mouth and massage that muscle a few times a day. I'll tell you it's tight as a drum! So that's something I've started right away -no prep or shopping involved.
I was also thinking Epsom salts might relax the muscle in the short term...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
RayOfHope said:
Peatri Dish, do you wear a splint (nightguard/mouthpiece) at night? If you are grinding and clenching you really need a splint (preferably one that is custom-made and fitted by a good dentist). Also, you might want to investigate the cause/s of your bruxism (grinding/clenching), because serotonin is a possible cause. I found that out the hard way many years ago when Effexor gave me TMJS.

I hope you get relief soon! Dental problems really cause a lot of stress. 
I found this incredibly interesting! I had TMJ that resulted in degenerative arthritis on the right side of my jaw at age 30(15 years ago)! At the time I was on an SSRI. The orthodontic treatment ended up costing me 5k not to mention the dental x-rays. I probably wouldn't have needed any of it had I not been taking the SSRI in the first place. Just WOW. Thanks for mentioning that about the SSRI/TMJ connection. Looks like yet another reason to avoid them at all cost!

Adnada

Peatri Dish said:
Ray of Hope: no mouth guard yet but that is my next move. Also, I've heard the serotonin thing before but now I'm seriously considering it. My husband is on SSRIs and has tried twice to get off of them(sertraline) but it becomes unbearable for everyone!
I guess he'll have the last laugh if I have to start a serotonin clearing protocol!
A young friend told me that she was told to reach right into her mouth and massage that muscle a few times a day. I'll tell you it's tight as a drum! So that's something I've started right away -no prep or shopping involved.
I was also thinking Epsom salts might relax the muscle in the short term...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know about my experience discontinuing sertraline. I tried to quit on two occasions and had to resume due to horrible withdrawal- emotional chaos ensued! With the guidance of a naturopath, I successfully tapered off at surprisingly slow intervals. I lowered my dosage every 2 weeks for 6 months. I also focused on healing my intestinal health, as I had developed mild IBS. For me, this was pre-Peat, so I was following the guidelines of taking probiotics, and eating "natural seratonin boosters" which I don't agree with now. Looking back, I think my success, outside of the slow tapering of the meds, was an increase in protein and decrease in processed foods.

natedawggh

Milk. Ray Peat says it has compounds that prevent bacteria from sticking to teeth. Also, the calcium literally helps remineralize.

Also, healthy saliva naturally contains lots of minerals, for just the purpose of remineralizing. As stated above if you have low thyroid and/or high estrogen/serotonin, etc., your saliva production is probably suppressed. Getting your health under control will increase the mineral content of your saliva, and your teeth will naturally mineralize. (I am lucky to have no had a significant problem with this, but I did experience some serious gum recession, which completely healed after Peating).

G

gummybear

What do you guys think of weston a price? And why is serotonin linked with teeth health?

answersfound

Co2 is the main component in dental health. Thyroid increase co2 and that increases the utilization of the fat soluble vitamins.

Sheila

Dear DaveFoster,
Regarding the use of bentonite clay.
How did you use it please and what did you notice.
Thank you
Sheila

DaveFoster

Sheila said:
post 114990 Dear DaveFoster,
Regarding the use of bentonite clay.
How did you use it please and what did you notice.
Thank you
Sheila
onioneyedox said:
post 119167
DaveFoster said:
post 114979 Try bentonite clay. It's fantastic.
just quoting you, Dave, in case you didn't notice Sheila's quoestion above. I'm interested as well.
I ordered 25 lbs worth of bentonite clay. It didn't really specify, but I believe it was sodium. You dip your toothbrush in the bag and apply and let the dry clay mix with your saliva so that it turns into a paste. It'll whiten your teeth and remove any sensitivity.

Last edited by a moderator:

thegiantess

Honestly,

I had horrible teeth for quite awhile bc I simply avoided the dentist. I didn't go for something like 15 years. During all that time I was always obsessing over diet and supplements and what would and would not work for my teeth. It was all band aids. I finally broke down and went to the dentist who luckily was forward thinking. He did an oral dna swab to see what species were living in my mouth and also through a naturopath friend of his a stool test. Turns out that my gums and general mouth health had gotten so bad it invaded my gut and much of my gut bacteria was bad stuff from my mouth. Anyway, after about 6 months of consistent treatment of deep cleanings I was all better. Now several years later I have no more problems, my teeth are great every time I go and I have no more occasional gut issues to boot!

I encourage you to find someone you trust and go! In the meantime my dentist gave me something called MI paste to help remineralize my teeth, you might look into that. Good luck!

DaveFoster

Last edited by a moderator:

Peata

I've been using Earth Paste. It has redmond clay, salt, xylitol, tea tree oil, essential oil. No glycerin which is supposed to help your teeth remineralize. No fluoride. It texture takes some getting used to because it can fall off the toothbrush, and it doesn't wash down the sink as easy. I like it OK, but won't be going to the dentist for another couple months so it will be a while before I know what they say about my teeth health.

Jake

thegiantess - were you able to get in without taking x-rays? It seems to be scoffed at for an initial appt. I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet and get it done, as I haven't been to the dentist in 16 years. The positives may outweight the downsides at this point.

FredSonoma

Honestly,

I had horrible teeth for quite awhile bc I simply avoided the dentist. I didn't go for something like 15 years. During all that time I was always obsessing over diet and supplements and what would and would not work for my teeth. It was all band aids. I finally broke down and went to the dentist who luckily was forward thinking. He did an oral dna swab to see what species were living in my mouth and also through a naturopath friend of his a stool test. Turns out that my gums and general mouth health had gotten so bad it invaded my gut and much of my gut bacteria was bad stuff from my mouth. Anyway, after about 6 months of consistent treatment of deep cleanings I was all better. Now several years later I have no more problems, my teeth are great every time I go and I have no more occasional gut issues to boot!

I encourage you to find someone you trust and go! In the meantime my dentist gave me something called MI paste to help remineralize my teeth, you might look into that. Good luck!

What do you mean by deep cleaning?

tomisonbottom

This isn't a Peat thing (more of a band-aid), but I've had good luck over the years doing frequent xylitol powder rinses to raise the PH in my mouth and kill the plaque bacteria.

I think xylitol alone slowed/stopped my erosion problems, and then something about starting a Peat-ey diet plus periodic calcium sodium phosphosilicate (remineralizing) toothpaste applications helped remineralize my teeth.

Would zylitol gum work for this instead of the rinse?