Remineralizing Purified Water

BingDing

I think this is a Peat diet question since it's about reducing fluoride. A local store sells purified water for $.39/gal which is way better than bottled water. I want to add minerals so it's about the same mineral content as my body, i. e. not supplementing minerals, just not diluting what's already in me.

There is very little info on the internet, I was hoping someone has some experience with this. I need to know what minerals I should use and what form, such as potassium citrate vs bicarbonate, and what level in mg/L, which is the same number as ppm.

TIA

Chemi

Salt is a pretty safe and simple thing to use. Roughly 100 ppm of sodium chloride seems like a modest amount.

I don't fully understand how the whole thing works in regards to pure water being bad, as you said there isn't enough material around unfortunately.

Personally, I just add a tiny pinch of sea salt when drinking pure water (though I think Peat is an advocate of refined salt without additives)

(edit: I also sometimes sprinkle some Calcium Carbonate in there simply because I can - It's not very soluble but it is to a certain extent)

Birdie

Very interesting question.

I mix S. Pellegrino mineral water with my oj. It has salt and CO2 in it.

You could add some sodium and a bit of baking soda to your purified water.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Only thing about those mineral waters is that they will have iron in them.

OP
BingDing

BingDing

Thanks, agreed about the salt. I'm trying to figure out if bicarbonate affects gastric acid and digestion in the stomach.

It's interesting you mentioned S Pelligrino, Birdie. That is the only water that I could find that publishes their mineral content. It is, in mg/L

Calcium 170
Sodium 33
Potassium 2.6
Fluoride .55
Magnesium 50
Bicarbonate 210
Nitrate .58
Chloride 52

There is no consensus on whether pure water is bad for you but I'm going with the theory that it is. There are studies saying hard or mineral water is heart protective.

The Wiki page on hard water cites a reference recommending water with 40-80 mg/L of Calcium and 20-30 mg/L of Magnesium.

I have trace mineral drops which is primarily magnesium chloride. 1/4 tsp/gal would be 33 mg/L of Mg, which is close enough.

I need to figure out what calcium to use and how much, and I'd like to have some ball park number for sodium and potassium. Culligan sells mineralized water but their web site is all marketing. I'm going to call next week and see if I can learn anything.

Birdie

BingDing said:
Thanks, agreed about the salt. I'm trying to figure out if bicarbonate affects gastric acid and digestion in the stomach.

It's interesting you mentioned S Pelligrino, Birdie. That is the only water that I could find that publishes their mineral content. It is, in mg/L

Calcium 170
Sodium 33
Potassium 2.6
Fluoride .55
Magnesium 50
Bicarbonate 210
Nitrate .58
Chloride 52

There is no consensus on whether pure water is bad for you but I'm going with the theory that it is. There are studies saying hard or mineral water is heart protective.

The Wiki page on hard water cites a reference recommending water with 40-80 mg/L of Calcium and 20-30 mg/L of Magnesium.

I have trace mineral drops which is primarily magnesium chloride. 1/4 tsp/gal would be 33 mg/L of Mg, which is close enough.

I need to figure out what calcium to use and how much, and I'd like to have some ball park number for sodium and potassium. Culligan sells mineralized water but their web site is all marketing. I'm going to call next week and see if I can learn anything.

Oh, no. Fluoride. Chloride. I only looked at the stupid bottle's ingredients. We bought 4 cases at the Costco sale. It does have a lot of good ingredients. sigh. We probably each drink 8 oz a day. I was so happy. I just checked your ref. .55 for Fluoride tho isn't too bad is it???

I guess I have to say thanks BingDing. I can't take it though. :cry:

Now that you mention it, I think I did read all those ingredients on the SP bottle several years ago.

Birdie

I'm trying to figure out if bicarbonate affects gastric acid and digestion in the stomach.

Do you know what Ray says about CO2? Articles and interviews?

The concern about bicarbonate and it's effect on stomach acid is part of holistic medicine but Peat has a lot of mind opening thoughts on baking soda. A lot of us put a pinch in our morning oj and use it in various other helpful ways.

OP
BingDing

BingDing

Sorry, Birdie. At least it doesn't have any iron. :)

Birdie said:
I'm trying to figure out if bicarbonate affects gastric acid and digestion in the stomach.

Do you know what Ray says about CO2? Articles and interviews?

The concern about bicarbonate and it's effect on stomach acid is part of holistic medicine but Peat has a lot of mind opening thoughts on baking soda. A lot of us put a pinch in our morning oj and use it in various other helpful ways.

I don't know what he says, I'm pretty new to this and it takes a lot of time to sort out. Thanks for the nudge, it's high on my list to research.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Definitely want to stay away from fluoride.

If you insist on drinking water I would just add Mortons canning and pickling salt, and get your minerals and vitamins from food.

Birdie

Charlie said:
Definitely want to stay away from fluoride.

If you insist on drinking water I would just add Mortons canning and pickling salt, and get your minerals and vitamins from food.
I just salted my ice cream, Charlie. Pretty delicious :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Never could do the salted ice cream thing. I always just straight shoot the salt and chase it with something.

OP
BingDing

BingDing

Charlie said:
If you insist on drinking water ...

Drinking water is not Peat? Man, I've got a lot to learn.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but FWIW the local Wegman's stores have Morton's canning and pickling salt for $1.99/ four lb box (at least according to their web site, I haven't gotten out there yet).

Birdie

Charlie said:
Never could do the salted ice cream thing. I always just straight shoot the salt and chase it with something.
This was my first try. Maple syrup with a very tiny pinch. I was sure hoping it wouldn't ruin the ice cream!!

Birdie

BingDing said:
Charlie said:
If you insist on drinking water ...

Drinking water is not Peat? Man, I've got a lot to learn.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but FWIW the local Wegman's stores have Morton's canning and pickling salt for $1.99/ four lb box (at least according to their web site, I haven't gotten out there yet).

The water was a shock for me.
I've been reading this for over a year and still keep learning!

It took me a while to sign up for the newsletter.
You've probably read Ray Peat's Brain over on Danny Roddy. That helps too.

Rachel

BingDing said:

Calcium 170
Sodium 33
Potassium 2.6
Fluoride .55
Magnesium 50
Bicarbonate 210
Nitrate .58
Chloride 52

My favorite mineral water is Gerolsteiner Sprudel from Germany; it's bubblicious! Very high mineral content with a nice dose of lithium :)
Check it out:

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) 2488 mg/l
Calcium (Ca++) 348 mg/l
Magnesium (Mg++) 108 mg/l
Sodium (Na+) 118 mg/l
Potassium (K+) 10.8 mg/l
Bicarbonate (HCO3-) 1816 mg/l
Chloride (Cl-) 39.7 mg/l
Sulphate (SO4--) 38.3 mg/l
Fluoride (F-) 0.21 mg/l
Nitrate (NO3-) 5.1 mg/l
Silica (SiO2) 40.2 mg/l
Lithium (Li+) 0.13 mg/l
Manganese (Mn++) 0.39 mg/l
Barium (Ba) 0.014 mg/l
Hydrobromide (Br-) 0.12 mg/l
Strontium (Sr++) 2.9 mg/l
Ammonium (NH4+) 0.08 mg/l
Hydrogene-phosphate (HPO4--) 0.07 mg/l
http://www.mineralwaters.org/index.php? ... arval=1183

OP
BingDing

BingDing

Wow, look at those numbers. I'd love to try some, maybe next time I go to Europe. And thanks for the link!

I have a fantasy that I can build my own mineral water, with just what I want in it. Where can I get strontium bicarbonate? :lol:

Rachel

BingDing said:
Wow, look at those numbers. I'd love to try some, maybe next time I go to Europe. And thanks for the link!

I have a fantasy that I can build my own mineral water, with just what I want in it. Where can I get strontium bicarbonate? :lol:
You betcha, BingDing. You may be able to find Gerolsteiner Sprudel somewhere near you. I buy it at a regular grocery store chain here in Texas and have found it in many US states. :D

kettlebell

kiran said:
Why on earth does it have fluoride though?

Flouride is a natural substance found in volcanic filtered water. It occurs naturally in most mineral waters.

Chemi

Just a little random factoid is that calcium acetate (which can be made from vinegar(acetic acid) + eggshells(calcium carbonate) reacts with sodium fluoride and changes it into insoluble calcium fluoride.

It just so happens that calcium acetate is used to lower blood phosphate levels too. I've yet to read into the actual mechanism of action and whether it'd increase the risk of kidney stones or something.

Foreign grounds but interesting nonetheless.