Remember The Behavioral Role YOU Play

lots of people here, especially young people, are always talking about stacks and pills and moods and finding the combination that corrects their problems.

I'm not opposed to that.

But as Ray has discussed in the recent Parkisons' KMUD interview thread, behavior makes a huge difference.

I'm not saying that guys don't have problems that are "chemical" but I see a lot of reliance on supplements, and "what is my mood, how do I feel?" when in reality it depends MORE on what you DO than what you are taking.

Mufasa

Can you give a summary about what he talked about regarding behaviour in that interview?

OP
ecstatichamster
he said parkinsons is better when people vary their routine and are very active and social.

I have observed the same thing with family members and dementia.

Mufasa

he said parkinsons is better when people vary their routine and are very active and social.

I have observed the same thing with family members and dementia.

Interesting. I do like variation, but if I do too much without planning, I feel like loose control, and go eat bad stuff etc, and get in pain as well. It's about balance, which is often hard to achieve.

I once read about the balance between the following driving forces:

- Certainty and Variation
- Connection and Significance
- Growth and Contribution

When you have too much routine, you live will get bored. But if you don't have any stable ground to lean back on, you will feel overwhelmed and scared. Same for the other 2. If you focus much on being special/unique, you will feel significant. But after some time you will lonely and disconnected from the world (for example many artists complain about this).

pboy

basically it shouldn't be something you technically analyze...its kind of self obvious and evident...the school system bred or trained out of people the basic natural tendency to follow ones heart, use ones will to not necessarily be controlled excessively (or at all) aka not letting authorities control or change one, and basically follow curiosity and things...its interesting Peat talked about people getting accustomed to burdens duties and mundane jobs, I basically for as long as I know have avoided the sense of 'duty'...like if it isn't relevant and useful and beneficial and current, its something that could have pages written on it...but a huge part of humanity's/society's problems are due to people living off of antiquated ideas of their parents and their parents, ect, established written or spoken meems...people will literally do the same thing over and over again with no one saying anything, that is clearly inefficient, non enjoyable, kind of silly or sad, simply because 'its the rules' and what theyd kind of been taught or routine followed. Apparently its a highly developed person that is 'awake' meaning actually present, able to say...or initiate and speak improvement into a stagnant or not up to date as best can be situation...I guess this surprisingly takes a high amount of energy? dunno...for me its not been that way in terms of able to perceive it, but only once I realized...cause I always thought they must know something I don't, but it turns out they don't...'they' being kind of authorities and those that spout the status quoe. In other words, unless something is really obviously fundamental, beneficial, efficient, enjoyable, dynamic...if one isn't speaking to others and seeking improvement actively dynamically, whatever that may be, its kind of stagnating the natural inclinations and growth process and I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of what creates the various lethargic mental 'disorders'...and probably certain deficiency's over time can lead to things, but its sort of related, cause an 'awake' or inspired person would quickly notice smoething off or a decline in function and immediately seek solutions, probably adding more variety or new things, or experimenting, reading, talking to others, ect, to try to find a solution, where as the person who just bought into 'duty' and that they are to toil away miserably or decline is kind of inevitable or whatever they think might just actually instead of seek solutions let a problem persist and build...dunno, its kind of I think a combo of nutrition but mostly just peoples sort of willingness to put up with things that aren't really that inspiring or ideal instead of speak and act and pursue solutions/improvements

I guess the things that is surprising is you might say ok...this person has a family and a 9 to 5 and has to pay the bills...but even in their 'free time'...they might just watch TV, go to a movie, sometimes go outside, its all good ...some things, spending time ect, but not a lot of people have a pursuit or hobby or something that really grows them in some way...of course just living you learn, but I guess many might be better served having a strong pursuit of something despite whatever else they do ('have' to do, be it true or not)

I sort of went in and out of school, worked various jobs, had some time where didn't work, and when I would try to inspire people or speak of progress by being passionate and basically giving it a full effort every day...they would sometimes come at me with 'well you don't have as much responsibility...aka kids, family, dog, huge bills...whatever it may be' but the truth is ive learned constantly whether it be at work or not, always just aware as living, and basically take risks which most aren't willing to do..and push boundaries...in other words, just by being awake in life you can technically always be learning and growing at all times, and more likely to I suppose vary things and see things for what they are and want to explore and do new things or improve situations or interact with others, perhaps its a metabolic thing...where people just seem to do the same thing without necessarily making many connections as they go, or to an extent they are ok with the status quo so don't even think or care to much to try to improve

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Both are important. It's difficult to maintain good behavior without an orderly internal environment, but one must have a channel for the energy, else restlessness, masturbation, and depression will still result, at least in my experience.

LUH 3417

lots of people here, especially young people, are always talking about stacks and pills and moods and finding the combination that corrects their problems.

I'm not opposed to that.

But as Ray has discussed in the recent Parkisons' KMUD interview thread, behavior makes a huge difference.

I'm not saying that guys don't have problems that are "chemical" but I see a lot of reliance on supplements, and "what is my mood, how do I feel?" when in reality it depends MORE on what you DO than what you are taking.
you mention young people especially; i think the health of mothers from the past 30 or so years has to be included here. people are trying to reach a state of health they may have never had. i for one was raised on a very deficient diet even though my parents considered themselves to be very much into nutrition and health.

also, going out and socializing in big cities isn't exactly the safest thing for someone when they are vulnerable. you can meet ill-intentioned people, and when you are not in good health it is very easy to hinge on to people who are not necessarily the best influence.

when you are ill it is difficult to concentrate on something for an extended period of time, to make sound decisions, to feel embodied enough to check in with your self about how things feel and if they are right for you. you're all about needs and fulfilling needs by any means necessary. making a concerted effort to improve things like concentration, habits, social skills, etc. does matter, i agree, but if you're stuck in the same patterns due to diet, changing the way you eat is most likely paramount. eating is a behavior - and i think people may just see supplements as complementary to food.

people watch TV and go out to eat as leisure activities because most urban environments don't support much else. just walking around in a city feels like a lesson in authority. what are my options to do with a friend in a big city: go to a restaurant with over priced food, walk in a poorly designed park, go to a museum which shows art reinforcing the very culture i am critical of... very little sunlight on city streets, lots of lines and directives and signals to internalize and follow. it's a very unpleasant experience. you bring all of that home with you. i believe your point is valid and i understand where it's coming from but all parts of living should be considered. thinking about creative ways to address this would be more useful than simply stating that it exists, although I'm not knocking the value in stating it exists so please don't misinterpret me.