Reluctant to follow midfie's PUFA advice

j2mugs

Hey all. My wife has had a VERY successfully pregnancy after 17 years of infertility and 7 years of peating! She has been having a pretty eventless pregnancy (first bio kid at 38 and has no GD, no preeclampsia, etc). The baby is huge too, also thanks to Ray Peat's advice! I continue to be amazed how life changing and healing this journey has been.

She is due on September 5th and the midwife is very concerned about her going past 40 weeks because of his size. She told my wife on Friday that she wants her to start taking Black Cohash and Evening Primrose oil to "get things started'. We are obviously not fans of her doing that. It just doesn't seem like introducing estrogen and PUFAs here at the very end are a good idea. So I have a two fold question:

1. Is this an appropriate time and place for estrogen to go to work? I'm not sure what hormones are involved in loosening the cervix and promoting labor.
2. What are some alternatives to "nudge" labor. We are not overly concerned about getting this kiddo out on our time table in any way, but we are trying to balance that against the risk of ending up with a hospital transport rather than having him at home where we might end up with more interventions than we would prefer. So it's a little bit of a balancing act for us to comply without complying. :)

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Hey all. My wife has had a VERY successfully pregnancy after 17 years of infertility and 7 years of peating! She has been having a pretty eventless pregnancy (first bio kid at 38 and has no GD, no preeclampsia, etc). The baby is huge too, also thanks to Ray Peat's advice! I continue to be amazed how life changing and healing this journey has been.

She is due on September 5th and the midwife is very concerned about her going past 40 weeks because of his size. She told my wife on Friday that she wants her to start taking Black Cohash and Evening Primrose oil to "get things started'. We are obviously not fans of her doing that. It just doesn't seem like introducing estrogen and PUFAs here at the very end are a good idea. So I have a two fold question:

1. Is this an appropriate time and place for estrogen to go to work? I'm not sure what hormones are involved in loosening the cervix and promoting labor.
2. What are some alternatives to "nudge" labor. We are not overly concerned about getting this kiddo out on our time table in any way, but we are trying to balance that against the risk of ending up with a hospital transport rather than having him at home where we might end up with more interventions than we would prefer. So it's a little bit of a balancing act for us to comply without complying. :)

Anyone have any thoughts?
I'm nobody with no credentials other than my only pregnancy was induced for the convenience of the doctor. I think that this is really bad advice.

Here's a link: The Essential Hormones That Start The Labor Process
and

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals