Relieve PSSD down with this mineral

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi all,

I've been thinking a lot about PSSD and serotonin lately and what some of the simplest things are one can do to combat it. PSSD has a lot in common with excess sympathetic drive and magnesium is a great mineral to rebalance the nervous system.

If you're interested in finding out more, check out my article:

Also, feel free to share your experience with magnesium.

Scenes

Hi all,

I've been thinking a lot about PSSD and serotonin lately and what some of the simplest things are one can do to combat it. PSSD has a lot in common with excess sympathetic drive and magnesium is a great mineral to rebalance the nervous system.

If you're interested in finding out more, check out my article:

Also, feel free to share your experience with magnesium.
Would you say coffee is another option to take with your magnesium, as coffee is a thyroid mimetic?

Thanks for the article!

I am really hoping that treating my hypothyroidism will fix my PSSD, as thyroid hormone seems to be essential for the cellular retention of magnesium, and synthesis of testosterone, which both sensitize the dreaded 5-HT1A auto-receptor.

Frankdee20

Manganese also helps with 5ht1a sensitivity

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Would you say coffee is another option to take with your magnesium, as coffee is a thyroid mimetic?
Coffee can have a mild pro-thyroid effect, but most of the studies I've seen on caffeine rather show that caffeine consumption increases the requirements of magnesium. So I'd say it's ok to take your magnesium with your coffee, but not to reply on its ability to improve its retention.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the article!

I am really hoping that treating my hypothyroidism will fix my PSSD, as thyroid hormone seems to be essential for the cellular retention of magnesium, and synthesis of testosterone, which both sensitize the dreaded 5-HT1A auto-receptor.
I'm sure it will be helpful. Aspirin can also help to improve thyroid function. What are you currently using to improve thyroid function?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I find magnesium actually worsens PSSD (in my case at least).

The famous "MESO" who pioneered the 5-HT1A desensitisation theory actually said it can hurt 1A receptor functioning.
Before St John's Wort, you suffered from anhedonia and other blunted emotions and numbness. Many people I work with (who have PSSD) have anxiety, which is basically the opposite of what you had before St John's Wort.
St John's Wort's ability to promote fear and anxiety is through 5-HT2A upregulation. Plus, many people with already high 5-HT2A activity will not necessarily benefit from St John's Wort but rather from something such as magnesium to lower excess 5-HT2A activity.

As a side note, not all SSRI drugs down-regulate 5-HT1A sensitivity.

Last edited:

Frankdee20

Before St John's Wort, you suffered from anhedonia and other blunted emotions and numbness. Many people I work with (who has PSSD) have anxiety, which is basically the opposite of what you had before St John's Wort.
St John's Wort's ability to promote fear and anxiety is through 5-HT2A upregulation. Plus, many people with already high 5-HT2A activity will not necessarily benefit from St John's Wort but rather from something such as magnesium to lower excess 5-HT2A activity.

As a side note, not all SSRI drugs down-regulate 5-HT1A sensitivity.
Great point, things like Inositol and SJW did instill anxiety for me..that’s paradoxical because inositol is used to help anxiety... but they upregulate the 2A receptor..... drugs like hydroxyzine block it and there seems to be no rebound up regulation with that

pippocui

Hi, I have read your articles with great interest and I would like you to help me!

After using ssri I also had PSSD and hashimoto's hypothyroidism added to this. I am sure that by recovering from hypothyroidism, I will be able to resolve my PSSD symptoms but despite the supplementation of T3 and T4 I have not been able to overcome this disease.
Do you think an approach with magnesium and aspirin could be right? What do you suggest me?

Also I read in your article that T3 might be harmful to PSSD, but it is the active thyroid hormone and should be hashimoto-friendly! How do you see me with both conditions? Should I take T3 and T4 together or just T4? I tried both solutions and they didn't help me! Thanks!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great point, things like Inositol and SJW did instill anxiety for me..that’s paradoxical because inositol is used to help anxiety... but they upregulate the 2A receptor..... drugs like hydroxyzine block it and there seems to be no rebound up regulation with that
Interesting. Perhaps because it's considered a weak 5-HT2A antagonist that it doesn't cause a rebound.

I'm sure it will be helpful. Aspirin can also help to improve thyroid function. What are you currently using to improve thyroid function?
Apart from my Peat-y diet, I take aspirin, niacinamide, cyproheptadine, p5p, stressnon (preg), tocovit, taurine, cascara, and have mag threonate coming in the mail. I had no luck with levothyroxine or NDT, I started on my first dose of tyromix an hour ago, fingers crossed.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Apart from my Peat-y diet, I take aspirin, niacinamide, cyproheptadine, p5p, stressnon (preg), tocovit, taurine, cascara, and have mag threonate coming in the mail. I had no luck with levothyroxine or NDT, I started on my first dose of tyromix an hour ago, fingers crossed.
Have you tested your thyroid hormones (T4, T3, rT3)?

Have you tested your thyroid hormones (T4, T3, rT3)?
Not in about a year, I've been meaning to get a full hormone panel again but my GP is closed until the 18th. About a year ago, my TSH was 6, T3 and T4 in normal range, rT3 wasn't tested. Then I f#cked myself over by doing the keto diet and taking a lot of supplements that made me worse.

pippocui

Ciao, ho letto i tuoi articoli con molto interesse e vorrei che mi aiutassi!

Dopo aver usato ssri ho anche aggiunto la PSSD e l'ipotiroidismo di hashimoto. Sono sicuro che riprendendomi dall'ipotiroidismo, sarò in grado di risolvere i miei sintomi di PSSD ma nonostante l'integrazione di T3 e T4 non sono stato in grado di superare questa malattia.
Pensi che un approccio con magnesio e aspirina potrebbe essere giusto? Cosa mi consigli?

Inoltre ho letto nel tuo articolo che T3 potrebbe essere dannoso per la PSSD, ma è l'ormone tiroideo attivo e dovrebbe essere hashimoto-friendly! Come mi vedi con entrambe le condizioni? Devo prendere T3 e T4 insieme o solo T4? Ho provato entrambe le soluzioni e non mi hanno aiutato! Grazie!
Niente Hans?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi, I have read your articles with great interest and I would like you to help me!

After using ssri I also had PSSD and hashimoto's hypothyroidism added to this. I am sure that by recovering from hypothyroidism, I will be able to resolve my PSSD symptoms but despite the supplementation of T3 and T4 I have not been able to overcome this disease.
Do you think an approach with magnesium and aspirin could be right? What do you suggest me?

Also I read in your article that T3 might be harmful to PSSD, but it is the active thyroid hormone and should be hashimoto-friendly! How do you see me with both conditions? Should I take T3 and T4 together or just T4? I tried both solutions and they didn't help me! Thanks!
Hey man,
Sorry I missed your post.
Did your symptoms improve when you took T4 and T3?
Magnesium and aspirin might definitely be helpful, but I don't know if it will resolve the condition completely.
T3 should be harmful for PSSD. It's best to take T4 and T3 IMO as it's easy to have issues converting T4 into T3. Did you notice any benefit from taking thyroid for any other symptoms you had?
What SSRI drug did you take?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Not in about a year, I've been meaning to get a full hormone panel again but my GP is closed until the 18th. About a year ago, my TSH was 6, T3 and T4 in normal range, rT3 wasn't tested. Then I f#cked myself over by doing the keto diet and taking a lot of supplements that made me worse.
A TSH of 6 is very high. T3 will help to lower it. If you took T4 and didn't notice anything, then your body might have issues converting T4 into T3.

pippocui

Hey man,
Sorry I missed your post.
Did your symptoms improve when you took T4 and T3?
Magnesium and aspirin might definitely be helpful, but I don't know if it will resolve the condition completely.
T3 should be harmful for PSSD. It's best to take T4 and T3 IMO as it's easy to have issues converting T4 into T3. Did you notice any benefit from taking thyroid for any other symptoms you had?
What SSRI drug did you take?
Thanks for the reply @Hans . I supplemented with T4 and T3 together, my TSH went down, but the symptoms didn't resolve. I have low temperatures, no libido, hair loss. I took escitalopram. Now I'm on T4 alone. Should I go back to adding some T3 in your opinion? And could adding magnesium help me with this condition? I accept any advice, thanks!

A TSH of 6 is very high. T3 will help to lower it. If you took T4 and didn't notice anything, then your body might have issues converting T4 into T3.
Sorry, I actually meant to say I did feel the T4, it was just very negative. I get the exact same symptoms from TyroMix, which makes me think my liver is able to convert the T4, but there's something going on in my body that it doesn't like the T3...