Relationship Phospholipids To Omega Fatty Acids?

pone

There are popular phospholipid supplements that contain Phosphatidylcholine, Phosphatidylethanolamine, and Phosphatidylinositol. I am confused what is the relationship of these fats to essential fatty acids like Omega-3 DHA and EPA? It's not clear to me are phospholipids some complex construction using the constituent fatty acids, or are they something completely separate?

pboy

theyre different, its just a certain type of fat attached to the head group which is a phosphate and water soluble, so you have one water soluble end and one fat soluble end, which is to create a barrier supposedly in the membrane. A phospholipid can have any fatty acid of reasonable length attached to it, and usually its content is reflected by the diet over time. Btw 'essential' fatty acids might not be essential, and certainly are estrogenic beyond a very small amount

OP
P

pone

pboy said:
theyre different, its just a certain type of fat attached to the head group which is a phosphate and water soluble, so you have one water soluble end and one fat soluble end, which is to create a barrier supposedly in the membrane. A phospholipid can have any fatty acid of reasonable length attached to it, and usually its content is reflected by the diet over time. Btw 'essential' fatty acids might not be essential, and certainly are estrogenic beyond a very small amount

So is the structure of mitochondrial membranes consisting of a sandwich of phospholipids - which are water-soluble - on either side of the membrane, and a core of fatty acids - which are fat-soluble - in between the two phospholipid layers?

pboy

yea, that's the theory and what is said in science. I think Peat has a slightly different view of how they work
and function other then just pumps, but that is what the structure is

What they don't tell you, however, is that it's mostly protein in there!

OP
P

pone

pboy said:
yea, that's the theory and what is said in science. I think Peat has a slightly different view of how they work
and function other then just pumps, but that is what the structure is

So, I had to gain a much better understanding of phospholipid structures in order to answer a question in another thread here. The phospholipids appear to have a phosphate "head" and two fatty acid hydrophobic tails. The tails can be either saturated or unsaturated.

So...if we are talking about phosphatidylcholine, my confusion is does this structure *NOT* include any definition of which specific fatty acids make up the hydrophobic tails? Furthering my confusion, I find pages like this one that show how phosphatidylcholine in different parts of the same animal has different types of fatty acids attached:

http://lipidlibrary.aocs.org/Lipids/pc/index.htm

The above may help to explain why lecithin that is marketed as phosphatidylcholine is not bioavailable as a phospholipid. There is an amazing discussion of this here at about 13 minutes in (I indexed this video to about that position):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFe_O9ps88#t=795

Parsifal

I'm becoming more and more interested by phospholipids.
I recommend to read this: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fa ... ions.shtml
and http://selfdefinition.org/celibacy/bern ... part-1.htm

It seems that orgasm/drugs/anesthesia (probably sleep?)/stress depletes the brain of phospholipids (and affects its metabolism) and the effect is stronger in males orgasm because the semen is high in cholesterol and phospholipids.
I wonder if there is an effect of low dose naldextrone (LDN) here on phospholipids or drugs like Ayahuasca or Ibogaine that can cure heroin addiction?

Seems very interesting to focus on that aspect to heal/develop a brain and immune system.

I also wonder what is the relation to lypolisis/cholesterol metabolism. There is some interesting things to understand here in my opinion.

I wonder what nutrients are involved in phospholipids synthesis, probably Zinc and B vitamins because it's involved in spermatogenesis and methylation? And iodine for myelin?
Calcium seems important because of it's antagonism and regulating effect on phosphate?
Thyroid, CO2 and metabolism must be really important of course.

I'm still a bit cautious because it seems that RP thinks that acetylcholine is an excitotoxin? And I've read that hypermethylation is not a good thing as well.

I need to study this more :geek:.

ddjd

So, I had to gain a much better understanding of phospholipid structures in order to answer a question in another thread here. The phospholipids appear to have a phosphate "head" and two fatty acid hydrophobic tails. The tails can be either saturated or unsaturated.

So...if we are talking about phosphatidylcholine, my confusion is does this structure *NOT* include any definition of which specific fatty acids make up the hydrophobic tails? Furthering my confusion, I find pages like this one that show how phosphatidylcholine in different parts of the same animal has different types of fatty acids attached:

http://lipidlibrary.aocs.org/Lipids/pc/index.htm

The above may help to explain why lecithin that is marketed as phosphatidylcholine is not bioavailable as a phospholipid. There is an amazing discussion of this here at about 13 minutes in (I indexed this video to about that position):

Hey pone i came across the video too. do you know of a product (not soy based) which falls under this guys recomendation?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals