Relationship Of A To D From Sunshine Only

B

Braveheart

I get my D from sunshine only, and I get a lot of it...most every day (300+ days sun per year in Belize)...30 to 45 minutes noon sun at subtropical latitude (18 degrees.) As far as I can tell my skin can easily produce 10,000 to 20,000 IU daily in these conditions, but because I am 71 and well tanned I supposedly make considerably less. Still, this is a lot of sun and this increases my need for A...true? I eat 1/4 lb liver weekly and lots of cantalope and sporadic carrot...plus 2 doses of Estroban weekly. So, say I give myself 5,000 IU D credit daily...how much A should I be shooting for? The 5 to 1 and 8 to 1 ratios ...I think these ratios apply only to supplements? I'm currently pretty much in line w those ratios and am starting to dose some Retinil on days when I'm not taking Estroban. With all this sun, what do you think, is my requirement for A? ...or is the sky the limit.....

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Constatine

I don't think your vitamin a requirement will be too high especially considering you already eat liver. But that does not mean you will not benefit from more vitamin A. Too much vitamin a does have negative effects so perhaps the 8 to 1 ratio would work when not counting the mage dose of vitamin a from liver.
Also how is your health? Just wondering because I have a theory that sun exposure is the best health promoting activity one can do. And you seem to get a lot of sun.

OP
B

Braveheart

I don't think your vitamin a requirement will be too high especially considering you already eat liver. But that does not mean you will not benefit from more vitamin A. Too much vitamin a does have negative effects so perhaps the 8 to 1 ratio would work when not counting the mage dose of vitamin a from liver.
Also how is your health? Just wondering because I have a theory that sun exposure is the best health promoting activity one can do. And you seem to get a lot of sun.
My health is excellent after a year of Peating and am now gradually switching to Haidut's supps. I believe in only using supps sporadically even though at my age I probably need supps more. Yes I am lucky to have the sun and believe it is one of the main keys to my health. Trying to balance this sun D with supp A has been rather tricky and am still thinking it out...this is where supplementing might be counterproductive unless you have some specific health problem requiring extra A? I'm leaning very much toward the natural D with natural A. It is the problem(?) of all this sun D, creating a supposed need for extra A, that I can't find answer to...how much more A is needed, I wonder? Thanks so much for your reply!

Constatine

My health is excellent after a year of Peating and am now gradually switching to Haidut's supps. I believe in only using supps sporadically even though at my age I probably need supps more. Yes I am lucky to have the sun and believe it is one of the main keys to my health. Trying to balance this sun D with supp A has been rather tricky and am still thinking it out...this is where supplementing might be counterproductive unless you have some specific health problem requiring extra A? I'm leaning very much toward the natural D with natural A. It is the problem(?) of all this sun D, creating a supposed need for extra A, that I can't find answer to...how much more A is needed, I wonder? Thanks so much for your reply!
I do think natural sources of vitamin A (like liver) would be enough. The body does regulate how much vitamin d it produces via sunshine and maybe the amount of vitamin A present is a factor in this but idk. Also be sure to have adequate amounts of vitamin k as it seems vitamin d toxicity is primarily due to too little vitamin k. Liver is also a good source of k. I do think vitamin k depletion is a bigger issue than vitamin A depletion due to too much vitamin d.

OP
B

Braveheart

I do think natural sources of vitamin A (like liver) would be enough. The body does regulate how much vitamin d it produces via sunshine and maybe the amount of vitamin A present is a factor in this but idk. Also be sure to have adequate amounts of vitamin k as it seems vitamin d toxicity is primarily due to too little vitamin k. Liver is also a good source of k. I do think vitamin k depletion is a bigger iss ue than vitamin A depletion due to too much vitamin d.
Take 5-10 mg K daily plus average 200 IU E daily...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals