Regulation Of The Energy Sensor AMP-activated Protein Kinase In The Kidney By Dietary Salt Intake An

paymanz

Regulation of the energy sensor AMP-activated protein kinase in the kidney by dietary salt intake and osmolality. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract

The AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is a key controller of cellular energy metabolism. We studied its expression and regulation by salt handling in the kidney. Immunoprecipitation and Western blots of protein lysates from whole rat kidney using subunit-specific antibodies showed that the alpha1-catalytic subunit is expressed in the kidney, associated with the beta2- and either gamma1- or gamma2-subunits. Activated AMPK, detected by immunohistochemical staining for phospho-Thr172 AMPK (pThr172), was expressed on the apical surface of the cortical thick ascending limb of the loop of Henle, including the macula densa, and some parts of the distal convoluted tubule. Activated AMPK was also expressed on the basolateral surface of the cortical and medullary collecting ducts as well as some portions of the distal convoluted tubules. AMPK activity was increased by 25% in animals receiving a high-salt diet, and this was confirmed by Western blotting for pThr172. Low-salt diets were associated with reduced levels of the alpha-subunit of AMPK, which was highly phosphorylated on Thr172. Surprisingly, both low- and high-salt media transiently activated AMPK in the macula densa cell line MMDD1, an effect due to changes in osmolality, rather than Na+ or Cl- concentration. This study, therefore, demonstrates regulation of AMPK by both a high- and a low-salt intake in vivo and suggests a role for the kinase in the response to changes in osmolality within the kidney.

Barry Obummer

So basically this supports the notion that a high salt diet boosts metabolism? I wonder how high is "high."

Mauritio

I wonder why we dont discuss ampk more ?! What is it influenced by ? How do we boost it?

dabdabdab

Doesn't dr Peat suggest salt/sugar for reducing adrenaline?
maybe it's the same way thiamine works, it will increase adrenaline if you don't consume enough calories to keep up with the increased metabolism.
high salt also increases free fatty acids in the blood.

biotin decreases free fatty acids.

Mauritio

Yeah I dont think salt increases adrenaline. Even if you reach low blood sugar territory, it is way more likely to increase cortisol , which it has been shown to do in high doses, to increase blood sugar.

dabdabdab

aren't adrenaline and cortisol highly related?but I've heard about it increasing adrenaline first

P

Peatness

Adrenaline increase cortisol. Salt increases cortisol but I don't think it increases adrenaline. I guess once cortisol is raised there is no need to increase adrenaline. Who knows, it's all pretty unpleasant.

SOMO

If you’re regularly drinking fluids you are LOSING sodium daily and given enough time you could become hyponatremic.
Let’s be rational and realize that dehydration/low sodium is a common reason for being hospitalized, but hyper-natremia is is not that common. Also kidney patients are not the norm.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom