Regular blood donation can remove toxic ‘forever chemicals’ from body, study finds

area51puy

Forum Supporter

Regular blood donation can help reduce the levels of some toxic synthetic chemical compounds known as “forever chemicals” that persist in the body, according to a new study.

These chemicals, known as PFAS or “per- and poly-fluorinated alkyl substances”, are found in common household objects such as non-stick pans, stain- or water-resistant materials and paints as well as carpets and clothes, and have been implicated in a range of adverse health outcomes.

Plasma donation was found to be the most effective intervention, reducing mean serum PFOS levels by 2.9 ng/mL compared with a 1.1-ng/mL reduction with blood donation – “a significant difference” according to the scientists.

“Plasma donation was most effective, resulting in a roughly 30 per cent decrease in average blood serum PFAS concentrations over the 12-month trial period,” they wrote in The Conversation.

Researchers explained that the reduction in levels of the toxic chemicals was likely because PFAS are bound to proteins primarily found in the serum.

“This study provides the first avenue for affected individuals to remove PFAS from their bodies and redress the effects of their PFAS exposure,” scientists noted.

Plasma donation was likely more effective than blood donation since firefighters in the former group donated blood every six weeks, while those in the latter group donated every 12 weeks, researchers explained.

“Plasma PFAS concentrations are also about two times higher than blood PFAS concentrations, which could make plasma donation more efficient at reducing the body burden of PFAS chemicals,” they added.

However, scientists said more research was needed to determine the ideal frequency and volumes of donations that can be effective for lowering PFAS, “balancing the treatment efficacy with the obstacles to frequent donations”.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That’s wonderful. It makes me wish I could still donate.

Summer

Makes sense. Kinda sucks that the recipient of the donation will be taking in all those chemicals though.

David PS

Last edited:

mrchibbs

Plasma and blood are two different things as far as I know, and Ray recommended against plasma donations in the past as I recall.

Regular blood donations seem very good but I've never tried plasma for that reason.

74one

Regular blood donation can help reduce the levels of some toxic synthetic chemical compounds known as “forever chemicals” that persist in the body, according to a new study.

These chemicals, known as PFAS or “per- and poly-fluorinated alkyl substances”, are found in common household objects such as non-stick pans, stain- or water-resistant materials and paints as well as carpets and clothes, and have been implicated in a range of adverse health outcomes.

Plasma donation was found to be the most effective intervention, reducing mean serum PFOS levels by 2.9 ng/mL compared with a 1.1-ng/mL reduction with blood donation – “a significant difference” according to the scientists.

“Plasma donation was most effective, resulting in a roughly 30 per cent decrease in average blood serum PFAS concentrations over the 12-month trial period,” they wrote in The Conversation.

Researchers explained that the reduction in levels of the toxic chemicals was likely because PFAS are bound to proteins primarily found in the serum.

“This study provides the first avenue for affected individuals to remove PFAS from their bodies and redress the effects of their PFAS exposure,” scientists noted.

Plasma donation was likely more effective than blood donation since firefighters in the former group donated blood every six weeks, while those in the latter group donated every 12 weeks, researchers explained.

“Plasma PFAS concentrations are also about two times higher than blood PFAS concentrations, which could make plasma donation more efficient at reducing the body burden of PFAS chemicals,” they added.

However, scientists said more research was needed to determine the ideal frequency and volumes of donations that can be effective for lowering PFAS, “balancing the treatment efficacy with the obstacles to frequent donations”.
Do not see how blood donation could be beneficial for a donor after losing 10% of blood volume, a healthy person may tolerate it better and recover faster but someone with health problems will be suffering for weeks after this procedure.
Also, I don't buy into idea that blood donation could help eliminate some blood toxins, first off - if your blood not healthy you should not donate it and second point - toxins are not concentrated in a donated portion but rather spread out thru whole body and 90% of toxins will be still remaining after donation - dialysis and variety of detox protocols are way better alternatives for that purpose

mrchibbs

Do not see how blood donation could be beneficial for a donor after losing 10% of blood volume, a healthy person may tolerate it better and recover faster but someone with health problems will be suffering for weeks after this procedure.
Also, I don't buy into idea that blood donation could help eliminate some blood toxins, first off - if your blood not healthy you should not donate it and second point - toxins are not concentrated in a donated portion but rather spread out thru whole body and 90% of toxins will be still remaining after donation - dialysis and variety of detox protocols are way better alternatives for that purpose

Obviously you need to be healthy to give blood, and usually they test your biometrics before.

From experience, giving blood while healthy does improve health. There is something to it, probably why bloodletting was popular in the middle ages, or why women benefit from menstruation. You do lose some heavy metals and excess iron, and the body can quickly make new blood.

tankasnowgod

Most donors recover the fluid volume in 48 hours. You are supposed to take it easy after donation, like no heavy lifting or exercise for a day or so.
Well, it does reduce toxins, like iron. Therapeutic Phlebotomy is the first choice of treatment in hemochromatosis. It makes sense that other toxins could be eliminated, too.

In many transfusions, the toxic load is offset by a blood loss that required a transfusion in the first place. In people who need chronic transfusions, things like "transfusional iron overload" are a known problem.

If someone could benefit from a phlebotomy or series of them, but their blood is too toxic for some reason, they can always simply discard that blood rather than using it for a transfusion. Its a simple, cheap and safe procedure for most, especially when compared to other "treatments."

74one

Obviously you need to be healthy to give blood, and usually they test your biometrics before.

From experience, giving blood while healthy does improve health. There is something to it, probably why bloodletting was popular in the middle ages, or why women benefit from menstruation. You do lose some heavy metals and excess iron, and the body can quickly make new blood.
My comment was a reaction to the study that implies regular blood donations as a some kind treatment to purify blood from toxins - all they need is just figure out a schedule. I donated my blood when I was young and stupid, and I regret doing this - nothing good coming out from this procedure but loss of energy, stamina and delayed recovery

74one

Most donors recover the fluid volume in 48 hours. You are supposed to take it easy after donation, like no heavy lifting or exercise for a day or so.

Well, it does reduce toxins, like iron. Therapeutic Phlebotomy is the first choice of treatment in hemochromatosis. It makes sense that other toxins could be eliminated, too.

In many transfusions, the toxic load is offset by a blood loss that required a transfusion in the first place. In people who need chronic transfusions, things like "transfusional iron overload" are a known problem.

If someone could benefit from a phlebotomy or series of them, but their blood is too toxic for some reason, they can always simply discard that blood rather than using it for a transfusion. Its a simple, cheap and safe procedure for most, especially when compared to other "treatments."
There are many ways to detox blood and in my opinion blood donation is not one of them.

AdoTintor

One hopes the science behind this was conducted properly and there wasn't an agenda to promote plasma donation as not many people do.

tankasnowgod

I donated my blood when I was young and stupid, and I regret doing this - nothing good coming out from this procedure but loss of energy, stamina and delayed recovery
I find that hard to believe, unless it was either a transient thing (like a couple of days), or you were seriously anemic (which the hemoglobin pre test should have spotted).

I have donated a few gallons at this point in my life, and getting ferritin to near deficiency actually improved my overall energy and mood. Plus, it improved my glucosec tolerance.

74one

There are no other viable ways to detox “forever chemicals” from your blood.
Human body designed to constantly purify itself from the toxins thru various pathways - skin, lungs, kidneys, colon, liver and storage in the body fat, also there are diets, life stiles, sorbents and medications that will help detox as long as you stay away from the source contamination

Summer

Human body designed to constantly purify itself from the toxins thru various pathways - skin, lungs, kidneys, colon, liver and storage in the body fat, also there are diets, life stiles, sorbents and medications that will help detox as long as you stay away from the source contamination
That’s not how it works for many unnatural substances. The body isn’t designed to get rid of PFOA. That’s why it can take up to a decade for it to be detoxed. You aren’t exactly making a great argument against blood donation. You’ve just listed alternatives that are more expensive and time-consuming.

74one

I find that hard to believe, unless it was either a transient thing (like a couple of days), or you were seriously anemic (which the hemoglobin pre test should have spotted).

I have donated a few gallons at this point in my life, and getting ferritin to near deficiency actually improved my overall energy and mood. Plus, it improved my glucosec tolerance.
Well, I have hard time to believe that draining out 10% of your blood will make you fill energetic and by losing blood volume you are not addressing the source of the problem - what makes ferritin level to rise in a first place

74one

That’s not how it works for many unnatural substances. The body isn’t designed to get rid of PFOA. That’s why it can take up to a decade for it to be detoxed. You aren’t exactly making a great argument against blood donation. You’ve just listed alternatives that are more expensive and time-consuming.
You can use dialysis and/or medications designed and used for detox as well as various sorbents, though if that is not life threatening situation I would prefer natural way to detox.
PFAS toxic in very small amounts (as well as many other toxins in our environment) and most likely located in muscle cells, lymph and fat - so I do not see how you can detox from it by draining blood from the vein, it sounds to me the same as if some good doctor suggested guillotine procedure for the headache pain or less fantastic option - lets give a cancer patient some toxic chemicals and irradiate him a few times

tankasnowgod

Well, I have hard time to believe that draining out 10% of your blood will make you fill energetic and by losing blood volume you are not addressing the source of the problem - what makes ferritin level to rise in a first place
The fluid volume is replaced in 48 hours. Its not a big deal.

I was not more energetic the day of donations, true, but mood and energy improved after 6 months of deironing. Since you are only supposed to donate every 56 days, that would be a couple lower energy days, followed by 50 days of much better energy. How can you not get this concept? It's basically the same as weight training. It makes you stronger in the long run, even though you are weaker with damaged muscles for a few days.

What makes ferritin rise? High iron intake, and loss of traditional means of losing iron, like intestinal worms. Seriously. They feed off host blood. Dr. Fachinni mentioned it in "The Iron Factor Of Aging."

So, I guess you could try and replace those lost worms, if you want. I preferred to go the blood donation route. Also, once you have too much iron, its best to devise an iron lowering strategy, and again, blood donation is cheap, safe, and easy. Millions opt to do it every year. And the side effects for most are going to be minor, much less than an iron chealator like desferral.

Last edited:

74one

How can you balk at a simple and safe procedure like phlebotomy, and then turn around and endorse a much more complicated and involved procedure like dialysis?
Your statement that blood volume will be restored in a 48 h does not sound right - more likely way over 168 h just to restore # of erythrocytes and you would need extra load of B12, folate and iron for them to mature properly - adult humans have roughly 20-30 trillion RBCs at any given time, so after blood letting your body would have to restore 2 - 3 trillion RBCs not to mention everything else!
In the article they suggested blood donation as a treatment from PFAS - meaning treatment of a sick person. As I said in my first comment - "... a healthy person may tolerate it better and recover faster but someone with health problems will be suffering for weeks after this procedure" and the reason for that - sick person does not have what it takes to restore blood, he's already suffering from the poison, messed up metabolism, lack of vitamins, minerals, proteins and stress hormones .
And thank you for posting your interpretation of high ferritin, that made me smile

Last edited: