Regular Aspirin Intake Can Save The US Almost $700b In Healthcare Costs

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am starting to see more and more "bold" news articles that seem to prepare for an official change in policy by the FDA. Given that nothing so far has been able to stop the rising healthcare costs or improve outcome for patients in the medical system, the powers that be are getting desperate for anything that works. This may very well be aspirin. Over the last few months there have been at least a dozen studies claiming that risks ascribed to aspirin are overblown and its benefits are underappreciated. This study now takes it a step further and claims that regular aspirin intake could improve health outcomes, extend lifespan, and save the US taxpayers almost $700 billion in healthcare costs. I wonder what the FDA would do to save face after decades of claiming aspirin is more dangerous and less effective than other NSAIDs...
Finally, the author of the study calls the regular use of aspirin the real health care reform given the strikingly positive effects and low cost of intervention.

Wider use of low-dose aspirin could save U.S. $692 billion: Study

"...The study found, for example, that life expectancy would increase by 0.3 years (largely disability-free), which means that out of 1,000 people, eight more would reach age 80 and three more would reach age 100. By 2036, an estimated 900,000 more Americans would be alive, the researchers said. In addition, daily low-dose aspirin use by older Americans would result in an estimated national net health benefit worth $692 billion, according to the study. "The irony of our findings is that aspirin may be too cheap," said study co-author Dana Goldman, director of the USC Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics."

An aspirin a day: USC study finds long-term health and economic benefits to taking daily low-dose aspirin - CBS News
"...Dr. David Agus on why aspirin is the "real health reform""

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hopefully the price of aspirin will not go up anytime soon. :( I just picked up a bottle of 150 pills for $1 at the Dollar store.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hopefully the price of aspirin will not go up anytime soon. :( I just picked up a bottle of 150 pills for $1 at the Dollar store.

If it does go up, it will be the end of the evolutionary road for willow trees. People will just butcher them for health...and profit.

Tarmander

I think the bag of horse aspirin I bought will last me for the rest of my life...and probably up to 15 other people who live in the bomb shelter with me!

moss

If it does go up, it will be the end of the evolutionary road for willow trees. People will just butcher them for health...and profit.
Not if people plant the European willow (Salix alba), if you have a garden, some land, plant trees and medicinal plants because if things do go belly up one has a dispensary in their backyard so to speak...

Peata

I bought 3 bottles the other day at the Dollar Tree, same as last year which contain only aspirin and starch. But they had new bottles there (same brand) where they added povidone to the formula, and that is going to be the only formula there when the old stash is gone. Anyone know if povidone is OK?