Regrow Hair By Stem Cell Activation

Mito

http://sci-hub.ac/saveme/25c6/[email protected]

Abstract
Although normally dormant, hair follicle stem cells (HFSCs) quickly become activated to divide during a new hair cycle. The quiescence of HFSCs is known to be regulated by a number of intrinsic and extrinsic mechanisms. Here we provide several lines of evidence to demonstrate that HFSCs utilize glycolytic metabolism and produce significantly more lactate than other cells in the epidermis. Furthermore, lactate generation appears to be critical for the activation of HFSCs as deletion of lactate dehydrogenase (Ldha) prevented their activation. Conversely, genetically promoting lactate production in HFSCs through mitochondrial pyruvate carrier 1 (Mpc1) deletion accelerated their activation and the hair cycle. Finally, we identify small molecules that increase lactate production by stimulating Myc levels or inhibiting Mpc1 carrier activity and can topically induce the hair cycle. These data suggest that HFSCs maintain a metabolic state that allows them to remain dormant and yet quickly respond to appropriate proliferative stimuli.

whatever

I don't really understand why nobody is talking about this ?

In my opinion this study is very promising... one of the drug that they used ,UK5099 / pyruvate carrier (MPC) inhibitor, it's available online for research use .

This probably explains why induced-woundings (microneedling with derma roller,derma pen etc) works , since it's known that woundings releases lactate .

Last edited:

yerrag

I'm perplexed about this. First off, an inefficient metabolism, in the form of glycolytic metabolic pathway. Secondly, why is lactic acid something that would encourage hair growth. Thirdly, I associate LDH with poor health, as a high LDH blood test reading is a marker of tissue destruction. Does the scalp and hair follicles exist in a vacuum, whee rules it follows are different? Won't respiratory oxidation be better for hair growth, and won't having plenty of CO2 instead of lactic acid have salutary effect on hair growth? Or does profuse hair growth require conditions that are similar to those where cancer thrives. After all, hair isn't like it's a living tissue. Aren't hair follicles just spinning out yarns of hair that only takes resources from the body? Isn't energy used for hair growth technically a waste. If a lot of energy is used to grow hair, and if the focus of the body is to produce lots of hair, won't it be at the expense of energy used to build and rebuild or maintain our body tissues?

Ray Peat don't likey stem cells activating

Dante

I'm perplexed about this. First off, an inefficient metabolism, in the form of glycolytic metabolic pathway. Secondly, why is lactic acid something that would encourage hair growth.
i think this is because things like lactic acid, estrogen , NO are something which boost angiogenesis. So, it's ok for them to be temporary elevated while recovering from an injury but not long-term !

yerrag

i think this is because things like lactic acid, estrogen , NO are something which boost angiogenesis. So, it's ok for them to be temporary elevated while recovering from an injury but not long-term !
That's true as far as injury is concerned. But hair growth is a recurring activity. What is hair? It is an optional thing, as far as scalp goes. It is an external outgrowth of keratin, isn't alive, and doesn't serve much the body except to insulate, which isn't much needed anymore.

But it seems that hair growth requires a more primitive form of energy metabolism, which is why I liken it to cancer. Except that the activity is directed towards making dead outgrowth of keratin, and does no harm. Seen in this light, could it be that approaches to making her grow thick need to be reconsidered?

yerrag

He said he thinks it's a response to some kind of damage.
But isn't this a good thing though? It means that the stem cells are activated to form new differentiated tissues to fix the damage, right?

whatever

That's true as far as injury is concerned. But hair growth is a recurring activity. What is hair? It is an optional thing, as far as scalp goes. It is an external outgrowth of keratin, isn't alive, and doesn't serve much the body except to insulate, which isn't much needed anymore.

But it seems that hair growth requires a more primitive form of energy metabolism, which is why I liken it to cancer. Except that the activity is directed towards making dead outgrowth of keratin, and does no harm. Seen in this light, could it be that approaches to making her grow thick need to be reconsidered?

look at this video, she is one of the researchers in this study .

This video was published on may 23, 2016 on youtube, and the study was received on 29 September 2016 by NATURE CELL BIOLOGY .
Received 29 September 2016; accepted 19 June 2017; published online 14 August 2017; DOI: 10.1038/ncb3575

She said recently:
“Through this study, we gained a lot of interesting insight into new ways to activate stem cells,” said Aimee Flores, a predoctoral trainee in Lowry’s lab and first author of the study. “The idea of using drugs to stimulate hair growth through hair follicle stem cells is very promising given how many millions of people, both men and women, deal with hair loss. I think we’ve only just begun to understand the critical role metabolism plays in hair growth and stem cells in general; I’m looking forward to the potential application of these new findings for hair loss and beyond.” UCLA scientists identify a new way to activate stem cells to make hair grow - UCLA Health - Los Angeles, CA

But isn't this a good thing though? It means that the
stem cells are activated to form new differentiated tissues to fix the damage, right?
Right, Exactly!
[...] Secondly, why is lactic acid something that would encourage hair growth. Thirdly, I associate LDH with poor health, as a high LDH blood test reading is a marker of tissue destruction. [...]

Also, about what you said above related to LDH (lactate) being a associate with poor health and being a marker for tissue destruction, yes right, but I think you are wrong. What do I mean?

I mean , I don't understand why people put LDH in a bad light because it's released and elevated where "tissue destruction" is , so LDH is associated with wounds and tumors, even cancer. But that doesn't means that LDH produce these things, or that is feeds these things but that lactate appears where these things are ! So it's not like LDH is the bad guy in the equation.

ok, now... what LACTATE does ?
Nearly 36 years ago Thomas K. Hunt, with Patrick Twomey, was the first to report that the level of lactate significantly increases in healing wounds. This observation convinced him that lactate, besides being the by-product of glycolysis, must have a regulatory role in the healing process. He set out to investigate this observation and found it to be so. Role of ADP-ribosylation in wound repair. The contributions of Thomas K. Hunt, MD. - PubMed - NCBI

Neovascularization plays a central role in wound healing and tumor growth. In both wounds and tumors, the local tissue lactate concentration is elevated and reaches ∼6 to 15 mM, in contrast to a concentration of 1.8 to 2 mM under normal physiological conditions (14, 53). Lactate has been reported to be proangiogenic, and substantial attention has been focused on endothelial cell responses in wounds and tumors (10, 13). Whether lactate plays a direct role in vasculogenesis, that is, homing and vascular channel formation by stem/progenitor cells (SPCs), however, is unknown. Lactate Stimulates Vasculogenic Stem Cells via the Thioredoxin System and Engages an Autocrine Activation Loop Involving Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1

To me, the idea that Lactate appears where tissue destruction is or abnormal or atypical cells are, makes me think that maybe it's there to solve the problem, to activate stuff that will solve the problem, (stem cells?) not to produce it or to feed it.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

yerrag

look at this video, she is one of the researchers in this study .

This video was published on may 23, 2016 on youtube, and the study was received on 29 September 2016 by NATURE CELL BIOLOGY .

She said recently:

Right, Exactly!

Also, about what you said above related to LDH (lactate) being a associate with poor health and being a marker for tissue destruction, yes right, but I think you are wrong. What do I mean?

I mean , I don't understand why people put LDH in a bad light because it's released and elevated where "tissue destruction" is , so LDH is associated with wounds and tumors, even cancer. But that doesn't means that LDH produce these things, or that is feeds these things but that lactate appears where these things are ! So it's not like LDH is the bad guy in the equation.

ok, now... what LACTATE does ?

To me, the idea that Lactate appears where tissue destruction is or abnormal or atypical cells are, makes me think that maybe it's there to solve the problem, not to produce it or to feed it.

Let me know what you think.

The LDH reading serves only as a marker for tissue damsge. And so I agree that it doesn't cause tumors. Lowering the LDH directly won't alleviate the tissue destruction issue.

The funny thing with my latest blood test, I have very high above range LDH values, and my lactate is very low. If LDH is converting lactase to pyruvate, it would be a good thing because it is keeping the extracellular area less acidic, and not encouraging cancer to grow. This leads me to think about my own hair. If my blood LDH values are high, won't it also lead to low lactate levels in the area around my scalp? If lactate levels are low, would it be difficult for my scalp to grow a lot of hair? In order for my scalp to grow more hair, it means that I have to reduce my LDH levels. For that to happen, I have to solve the problem of tissue damage that's ongoing in my body. Once that is accomplished, LDH levels would go down, and perhaps my lactate levels would go up, and hair growth would be restored. Yet that doesn't mean that I would get cancer though, only because there is just enough lactate to restore hair growth, but not too much of it to cause cancer to grow.

So while hair growth and cancer need an acidic environment to grow, the difference is in the degree of acidity.

Thanks for sharing that video. The researcher, in a roundabout manner, is saying that the metabolic pathway involved in hair growth is similar to that of cancer growth. I get the feeling that if one can manage to keep hair from growing and cause baldness, one could be able to arrest the growth of cancer. I would sometimes wonder why people with a thick head of hair still die of cancer. Now I think it's because there is too much acidity due to excessive lactate.

So to grow hair safely, one probably needs just the healthy amount of lactate in the blood.

Berna Yenisey

The LDH reading serves only as a marker for tissue damsge. And so I agree that it doesn't cause tumors. Lowering the LDH directly won't alleviate the tissue destruction issue.

The funny thing with my latest blood test, I have very high above range LDH values, and my lactate is very low. If LDH is converting lactase to pyruvate, it would be a good thing because it is keeping the extracellular area less acidic, and not encouraging cancer to grow. This leads me to think about my own hair. If my blood LDH values are high, won't it also lead to low lactate levels in the area around my scalp? If lactate levels are low, would it be difficult for my scalp to grow a lot of hair? In order for my scalp to grow more hair, it means that I have to reduce my LDH levels. For that to happen, I have to solve the problem of tissue damage that's ongoing in my body. Once that is accomplished, LDH levels would go down, and perhaps my lactate levels would go up, and hair growth would be restored. Yet that doesn't mean that I would get cancer though, only because there is just enough lactate to restore hair growth, but not too much of it to cause cancer to grow.

So while hair growth and cancer need an acidic environment to grow, the difference is in the degree of acidity.

Thanks for sharing that video. The researcher, in a roundabout manner, is saying that the metabolic pathway involved in hair growth is similar to that of cancer growth. I get the feeling that if one can manage to keep hair from growing and cause baldness, one could be able to arrest the growth of cancer. I would sometimes wonder why people with a thick head of hair still die of cancer. Now I think it's because there is too much acidity due to excessive lactate.

So to grow hair safely, one probably needs just the healthy amount of lactate in the blood.
Dr. Derrin Schmidt

Dr. Darren Schmidt recommends B vitamins for lactic acidosis. My daughter lost all of her hair after a vaccination which is known to deplete the body of vit B1. My research shows me the connection of vit B1 to hair loss. Cells, including hair follicle stem cells, can not make energy without thiamine. I believe this is a big contributor to hair loss. I am trying to figure out the mechanism. Since the hair cells can not metabolyze glucose to make ATP in the absence of thiamine, hair does not grow. Meanwhile there is probably lactic acidosis since LDH accumulates.
In various research findings, I read that lactate modulates inflammatory response, and most probably that is why it activates hair growth, by lowering inflammation.
I believe this fits well with the recent UCLA research findings about lactate production of hair follicle stem cells. So, I think Thiamine and in fact B vitamins are crucial in this context. Magnesium is also important since it is also required as a co factor, for glucose synthesis. What do you think?

I believe that B vitamins, especially Thiamine, Vitamin B1 is necessary to lower LDH.

My daughter lost all of her hair two weeks after HPV vaccination, which is known to deplete the body of Thiamine. Cells can not metabolize glucose to make ATP,energy, without thiamine. I conclude that Vit B1 deficiency causes the hair follicle stem cells to lack cellular energy to grow hair.
Thiamin is a factor in lactate production. I know this,,but I am still trying to figure out the mechanism of cellular energy production, thiamine, LDH and lactate.
I read i some research findings that lactate modulates inflammatory response. That may be a reason why it induces hair stem cell activation, by reducing inflammation.
What do you think?

yerrag

Dr. Derrin Schmidt

Dr. Darren Schmidt recommends B vitamins for lactic acidosis. My daughter lost all of her hair after a vaccination which is known to deplete the body of vit B1. My research shows me the connection of vit B1 to hair loss. Cells, including hair follicle stem cells, can not make energy without thiamine. I believe this is a big contributor to hair loss. I am trying to figure out the mechanism. Since the hair cells can not metabolyze glucose to make ATP in the absence of thiamine, hair does not grow. Meanwhile there is probably lactic acidosis since LDH accumulates.
In various research findings, I read that lactate modulates inflammatory response, and most probably that is why it activates hair growth, by lowering inflammation.
I believe this fits well with the recent UCLA research findings about lactate production of hair follicle stem cells. So, I think Thiamine and in fact B vitamins are crucial in this context. Magnesium is also important since it is also required as a co factor, for glucose synthesis. What do you think?

I believe that B vitamins, especially Thiamine, Vitamin B1 is necessary to lower LDH.

My daughter lost all of her hair two weeks after HPV vaccination, which is known to deplete the body of Thiamine. Cells can not metabolize glucose to make ATP,energy, without thiamine. I conclude that Vit B1 deficiency causes the hair follicle stem cells to lack cellular energy to grow hair.
Thiamin is a factor in lactate production. I know this,,but I am still trying to figure out the mechanism of cellular energy production, thiamine, LDH and lactate.
I read i some research findings that lactate modulates inflammatory response. That may be a reason why it induces hair stem cell activation, by reducing inflammation.
What do you think?

First of all, I have since realized that LDH being high in the blood is because LDH is leaking from tissues that are undergoing destruction. The cells lose their integrity and enzymes leak out from the cells. LDH doesn't actually affect the level of lactic acid in the blood. My understanding of vitamin B1, thiamine, is that it converts lactic acid to glucose, and in doing so, helps to lower the amount of lactic acid. I think I've read haidut mention of emergency rooms using thiamine to deal with lactic acidosis. So, given that thiamine reduces lactic acid levels, I don't know how it would help with hair growth, if for hair growth lactic acid is needed.

If indeed lactate is needed for hair growth, then I would think that it involves a localized process that affects only the scalp, and not systemic, as in the blood being high in lactate. That is my guess.

Back
Top Bottom