Regarding Forum Downtime Last Night

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Quick update to let you know what happened regarding the downtime last night.

Hosting company shut off our service due to non payment. However, we are paid up till next month. When they turned the service back on, somehow, the database table with the current sessions got corrupted. This totally borked the forum. Then, the hosting company rolls the forum back 24 hours to get it working again and in the process losing all the data/posts/etc for those 24 hours.

After hitting a brick wall with support and them telling me everything is fine, :roll: I went ahead and restored the database myself. It appears everything is smoothed out now. Many sincere apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

:hattip

Makrosky

No problem Charlie! Let us know if you need help, either financial or technical.

tara

Thanks for sorting it out Charlie.

narouz

Maybe that explains some difficulties I had with adding picture/photo files as attachments?
It was a jpeg, and seemed to post fine.
When I returned today,
there was just that remnant thingy
showing it had been there
but was no longer.

Are there any special things to keep in mind when adding a photo file as an attachment?
I uploaded it from my computer (W7 now!),
not drag and drop....

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Makrosky said:
post 104625 No problem Charlie! Let us know if you need help, either financial or technical.
Thank you! Much appreciated. :hattip

tara said:
post 104682 Thanks for sorting it out Charlie.
:hattip

narouz said:
post 104684 Maybe that explains some difficulties I had with adding picture/photo files as attachments?
It was a jpeg, and seemed to post fine.
When I returned today,
there was just that remnant thingy
showing it had been there
but was no longer.
What is the link to the post and I will check it out? There should be zero issues now with uploading, if there is let's clear them up. :D

Last edited:

narouz

Charlie said:
What is the link to the post and I will check it out? There should be zero issues now with uploading, if there is let's clear them up. :D

I'll try them again here and see what happens.
Last night,
it seemed like it wouldn't let me add more than one file per post.
If I tried to add a second file,
the first would disappear.

With the "jana" file,
it seemed to post fine last night,
then, today, it was gone,
with that remnant thing saying "file no longer available" or something like that....

Attachments

• 200px-Ilya_Ilyich_Mechnikov_1913.jpg
    200px-Ilya_Ilyich_Mechnikov_1913.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 496
  • jana.jpg
    jana.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 492
  • 220px-Ilya_Mechnikov_nobel.jpg
    220px-Ilya_Mechnikov_nobel.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 493

narouz

Looks like that worked fine.
I dunno what was going on last night...
Thanks, Charlie!

yoshiesque

We did lose some posts/threads though right?

Interestingly, I created a new thread about some new supplements i was taking. I did this about 30-90mins before it went down (or at least 30-90mins before I got the SQL error thing). I cant see that thread in my history anymore.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
yoshiesque said:
post 104747 We did lose some posts/threads though right?
Yes I do think we might have lost a few posts. My apologies. Feel free to post it up again.

It looks like the hosting companies billing software keep turning the MYSQL DB off and on for a while. So that would have made things really silly around here for a bit and maybe felt like being in the twilight zone. :lol:

Last edited:

yoshiesque

i dont know much about web sites, but is it possible to have a regular back up schedule take place to your computer? like literally every 30 seconds, provided your computer is always online lol

GAF

Charlie,

What is the monthly hosting cost for this forum and from whose pocket is it funded? What other out-of-pocket hard costs are associated with this forum and from whose pocket are these additional costs funded.

Thanks,

GAF

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
yoshiesque said:
post 104837 i dont know much about web sites, but is it possible to have a regular back up schedule take place to your computer? like literally every 30 seconds, provided your computer is always online lol
Well, If I had a good computer along with external backup hard drives, I would do it. But right now I am limping along on my pieced together contraption. :lol:

Thank you for bringing this up though. Right now, we have 3 backups a day. 2 on site, 1 off site. I agree with you that frequent backups are more optimal so I have started researching different service providers to do this and have found one that will back up hourly. Going to be testing them out over the next few days and see how it goes.

GAF said:
post 104852 Charlie,

What is the monthly hosting cost for this forum and from whose pocket is it funded? What other out-of-pocket hard costs are associated with this forum and from whose pocket are these additional costs funded.

Thanks,

GAF
GAF, up until a couple months ago it was all out of my pocket. Thankfully, a truly awesome person came forward and is handling hosting costs now. I cover the domain names and the off site backup fee.

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am happy to report that the forum database is now backed up hourly. :D

The images are not backed up hourly. So it is possible that some pics might get lost and would need to be re-uploaded if there was an issue, but the posts will not be lost. The costs of backing up the images hourly cost quite a bit more and I feel is not worth it. At most we would lose 24 hours of uploaded images.

Here is the estimated cost of the hourly database backups:

$10.31 to $27.20 USD per month
$0.37 to $0.97 USD per day

Such a big discrepancy because they cannot be sure how much the info can be compressed until it arrives on their server, also they are not sure how much the database will grow. However, I am estimated around $20 a month but don't hold me to it, it could be a little less or a little more.

If anyone would like to help cover these backup costs please send me a PM. Basically the backup account can be loaded via Paypal and then it deducts from the loaded amount as it does each backup and stores the info. :hattip

GAF

Considering the priceless information this forum has given to me and others, can a mechanism be setup where we can just PayPal you $$ whenever and you just use it to pay what needs to be paid. Maybe you can setup a thread "How you can support the Forum's financial requirements"

narouz

GAF said:
post 105126 Considering the priceless information this forum has given to me and others, can a mechanism be setup where we can just PayPal you $$ whenever and you just use it to pay what needs to be paid. Maybe you can setup a thread "How you can support the Forum's financial requirements"

A good idea!

Last edited by a moderator:

kaybb

narouz said:
post 105142
GAF said:
post 105126 Considering the priceless information this forum has given to me and others, can a mechanism be setup where we can just PayPal you $$ whenever and you just use it to pay what needs to be paid. Maybe you can setup a thread "How you can support the Forum's financial requirements"

A good idea!
Yes! I agree! I am in the middle of healing and depend on the forum heavily for info!

Last edited by a moderator: