Regarding beef meat

gabriel79

Hi,
I live in a country where beef meat is very easy to get and quite affordable, while other things like shrimp and oysters are extremely expensive; only squid is affordable. So, I´ve always eaten quite a lot of beef, from a variety of parts, especially, shanks, ribeye, liver and some other parts I don´t know the name in English.
The main concern from a Peat point of view about beef meat is usually iron and tryptophan (and other AA like methionine and cysteine). So, other protein sources are recomended, like shell fish etc
However, when you look at the nutritional data, beef meat is not really high in iron, any shell fish has a lot more iron than beef meat. The only benefit of shell fish would be higher copper, but even here is not always true. Mussels have higher iron/copper ratio than beef (by far), oyster are better indeed but Squid is really king in that ratio.
On anti-thyroid AAs, it´s actually quite similar to milk, with a bit more cysteine, similar methionine and less tryptophan though it lacks the calcium in milk.

So, basically as protein sources I use beef meat daily 2 times per day (lunch and dinner), usually, plus milk and once a week squid. I remember reading Peat say that even he eats beef meat every day.

I don´t understand why sometimes, when reading Peat related blogs or forums it looks quite anti-beef meat.

What´s your opinion on the subject? I´m I missing something or is the nutritional data I´m looking at completely wrong?

pete

Beef muscle meat is inflammatory, even when using copious amounts of gelatin (was better with Great Lakes brand).
I still eat beef meat, but have reduced how much I eat.

Is not what you add to your diet (gelatin) to fight a problem, but what is causing the issue in the first place (subtracting, reducing).

I also realized supplements cause a lot of problems (allergy, intolerance, cheap/bad ingredients), Ray noticed the same.

narouz

gabriel79 said:
Hi,
I live in a country where beef meat is very easy to get and quite affordable, while other things like shrimp and oysters are extremely expensive; only squid is affordable. So, I´ve always eaten quite a lot of beef, from a variety of parts, especially, shanks, ribeye, liver and some other parts I don´t know the name in English.
The main concern from a Peat point of view about beef meat is usually iron and tryptophan (and other AA like methionine and cysteine). So, other protein sources are recomended, like shell fish etc
However, when you look at the nutritional data, beef meat is not really high in iron, any shell fish has a lot more iron than beef meat. The only benefit of shell fish would be higher copper, but even here is not always true. Mussels have higher iron/copper ratio than beef (by far), oyster are better indeed but Squid is really king in that ratio.
On anti-thyroid AAs, it´s actually quite similar to milk, with a bit more cysteine, similar methionine and less tryptophan though it lacks the calcium in milk.

So, basically as protein sources I use beef meat daily 2 times per day (lunch and dinner), usually, plus milk and once a week squid. I remember reading Peat say that even he eats beef meat every day.

I don´t understand why sometimes, when reading Peat related blogs or forums it looks quite anti-beef meat.

What´s your opinion on the subject? I´m I missing something or is the nutritional data I´m looking at completely wrong?

gabriel-

Peat has said that--about eating some meat almost every day.
But I wonder how much he eats.
He may be eating relatively small portions,
and maybe only once per day.

Also, we know that he advocates eating ruminant meat
in such a way as to avoid or minimize the anti-metabolic properties of that meat.
Toward that end,
when he says he eats meat almost every day,
he may be referring to bone broth
or perhaps bone broth with some meat in it--
like oxtail soup,
which I believe he has mentioned as something he likes.

Peat is pretty clear and consistent
about muscle meats, even from ruminants,
being anti-metabolic.
I'm therefore guessing that he doesn't eat that much meat,
relative to total food in his diet.
I would guess, based upon his writings,
that he would recommend muscle meat as a peripheral part of a healthy, pro-metabolic diet,
as a good source of some important nutrients,
but not as a primary source of protein.

J

j.

I stopped eating muscle meat for a while, but I don't have access to oysters at the moment, and started to eat muscle meats again about twice a week.

Isadora

gabriel79 said:

Same here... I think one of the reasons is a degree of misinterpretation of Peat's sayings -- when he goes against "muscle meat", people tend to read "beef" -- when "beef" is so much more than muscle meat!

So eating "beef" or even "meat" twice a day, including organ meat and pieces rich in gelatin like oxtail, etc. doesn't mean eating muscle meat twice a day. I think Peat eats meat every day -- but rarely muscle meat as in a classic steak piece -- which he probably has once every two or three days and then he tries to balance it with coffee, gelatin, etc.

:2cents

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals