Regaining Athleticism & Health From Youth (Tall Order I Know)

Jsaute21

All,

@Hans @tca300 & others who pursue athleticism or fitness might have some valuable insight to the below information & data.

I am someone with an extensive athletic background that found Peat's work 3-4 years ago. Since discovering him, my mental health/capacity have improved substantially. I am not quite as ripped as i used to be (prob 5-7 % more BF) while eating 700 - 1200 more calories. Life's good all things considering. I have no desire to be orthorexic or crazy lean - just want to have a great metabolism and be a well rounded force in this game of life.

I am now ready to regain athleticism from my youth. I used to have a 40" vertical, and ran a sub 4.5 40. Think i am probably at a 34/35" vertical and a 4.7" 40 now. I am 31 years old and about to be a dad but miss having attainable goals that sports provided me. I have all the resources I need to accomplish these goals besides one thing that's potentially in my way. *Additionally, I work 50-55 hrs a week and am professionally driven. This matters because it impacts my ability to workout significantly.

Overall health & ability to handle intense work capacity

Though significantly improved from my deteriorated state from 2012 - 2015 (ripped but low energy), my workouts still can't tolerate elite workouts soup to nuts. I can do the movements, perform them adequately but cannot withstand volume at the rate i would like to without activating stress hormones which also correlates with worse performance.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
All,

@Hans @tca300 & others who pursue athleticism or fitness might have some valuable insight to the below information & data.

I am someone with an extensive athletic background that found Peat's work 3-4 years ago. Since discovering him, my mental health/capacity have improved substantially. I am not quite as ripped as i used to be (prob 5-7 % more BF) while eating 700 - 1200 more calories. Life's good all things considering. I have no desires to be orthorexic or crazy lean - just want to have a great metabolism and be a well rounded force in this game of life.

I am now ready to regain athleticism from my youth. I used to have a 40" vertical, and ran a sub 4.5 40. Think i am probably at a 34/35" vertical and a 4.7" 40 now. I am 31 years old and about to be a dad but miss having attainable goals that sports provided me. I have all the resources I need to accomplish these goals besides one thing that's potentially in my way. *Additionally, I work 50-55 hrs a week and am professionally driven. This matters because it impacts my ability to workout significantly.

Overall health & ability to handle intense work capacity

Though significantly improved from my deteriorated state from 2012 - 2015 (ripped but low energy), my workouts still can't tolerate elite workouts soup to nuts. I can do the movements, perform them adequately but cannot withstand volume at the rate i would like to without activating stress hormones which also correlates with worse performance.
Cool man. Having athletic goals are awesome.
But first, what are your goals training-wise?

In terms of training, just keep it short and explosive and listen to your body. Don't overdo it. When you're body feels like you need to stop even though you've done 1 set, then so be it. If you feel you need to stop even though you got 5 more reps in the tank, then stop. Build up slowly as your body allows you to.

In terms of nutrition, just be well fed with glucose. Drink carbs during the workout if needed. Sodium bicarb and vitamin B1 can help to reduce fatigue if you want to take them pre-workout. I like to have some gelatin and honey pre-workout.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Cool man. Having athletic goals are awesome.
But first, what are your goals training-wise?

In terms of training, just keep it short and explosive and listen to your body. Don't overdo it. When you're body feels like you need to stop even though you've done 1 set, then so be it. If you feel you need to stop even though you got 5 more reps in the tank, then stop. Build up slowly as your body allows you to.

In terms of nutrition, just be well fed with glucose. Drink carbs during the workout if needed. Sodium bicarb and vitamin B1 can help to reduce fatigue if you want to take them pre-workout. I like to have some gelatin and honey pre-workout.

Good intel and you're right. Every time i try and push myself while disregarding my body - it doesn't work out well. What brand sodium bicarb do you use? I'm not picky about it but worry BS gets put into a typical kroeger type product.

I take thyroid and ingest 350-500 g of carbs a day. I need to nail down a dose with thyroid which is a part of the problem. Right now am experimenting with two doses of cynoplus a day and a nibble of cynomel as needed. Feel pretty good, temps are typically in the low - mid 98's while pulse averages in the 60's. When i am in the sunlight my pulse automatically jumps into the high 70's or 80's even. Some other supplements I take occasionally or regularly are:

Diamant
Energin
Oxidal
Androsterone
K2
Lugols Iodine

Do you take thyroid or any supplements that have helped you along the way?

Good intel and you're right. Every time i try and push myself while disregarding my body - it doesn't work out well. What brand sodium bicarb do you use? I'm not picky about it but worry BS gets put into a typical kroeger type product.

I take thyroid and ingest 350-500 g of carbs a day. I need to nail down a dose with thyroid which is a part of the problem. Right now am experimenting with two doses of cynoplus a day and a nibble of cynomel as needed. Feel pretty good, temps are typically in the low - mid 98's while pulse averages in the 60's. When i am in the sunlight my pulse automatically jumps into the high 70's or 80's even. Some other supplements I take occasionally or regularly are:

Diamant
Energin
Oxidal
Androsterone
K2
Lugols Iodine

Advice in regard to the nibble:Tablets do not have even distribution of substance in the body of the tablet,not at all.Even the breaking groove is just for ease of swallowing,and not to be used to separate equal dosages,there are exceptions though.What you have to do is to crush the tablets,to make it actually even,and eyeball a dosage or use a razor to seperate dosages conformly,and ingest by using a microspoon.With nibbling,paired to the ultra low amount of active substance (µgm),you will encounter all or nothing type of dosage effects.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Advice in regard to the nibble:Tablets do not have even distribution of substance in the body of the tablet,not at all.Even the breaking groove is just for ease of swallowing,and not to be used to separate equal dosages,there are exceptions though.What you have to do is to crush the tablets,to make it actually even,and eyeball a dosage or use a razor to seperate dosages conformly,and ingest by using a microspoon.With nibbling,paired to the ultra low amount of active substance (µgm),you will encounter all or nothing type of dosage effects.
Appreciate the insight. How do you crush the tablets? I just did it using the bottom of a Mexican coke lol. Didn't work badly.

Hans

Forum Supporter

Diamant
Energin
Oxidal
Androsterone
K2
Lugols Iodine

I just use a store-bought SB lol, nothing fancy.
The thyroid could be helpful yes. Do you feel it's improving your stress tolerance to exercise?

OP
J

Jsaute21

I just use a store-bought SB lol, nothing fancy.
The thyroid could be helpful yes. Do you feel it's improving your stress tolerance to exercise?
Yes & No. Thyroid has improved my mental work capacity tremendously. That's where the biggest impact has been noted for me. It has put some weight on me - i come from a restrictive eating and athletic background - I am undoubtedly healthier now, just not quite as chiseled. It is what it is.

As far as exercise, i would say my performance is better (coordination, breathing etc.) but can only train hard 1-2x a week. I do feel superior energy to be active (walk, golf, play tennis etc.) I will say that health as it relates to exercise performance is an interesting thing. A few years back i looked like the epitome of health, but i truly wasn't. Took some humble pie to assess that and improve it.

Ultimately want to get to a place where i am training 3-4x a week and feel very comfortable doing so.