Reflux

Makrosky

I don't know but I get it normally when I take a lot of saturated fat without enough of other macros. Like for example a slice of bread with a lot of butter or coconut oil. Whereas if I take the same ammount of butter/CO with a big meal, I don't get it.

Orion

I find that taurine is helpful. 1-2grams per day does it for me.

Xisca

Can be a lack of acid in the stomach, and acid is needed to "close the door" upward.
I control it with vinegar, a spoonful, with Little water, and just a Little more water after, just enough to clean the acidity down oesophagus. If it Works, then it is the proof of a lack of acid. In that case, also have a look at the ongoing topic about betaine HCl, as this is a good solution. It worked for me, until it burned because it was too much, and my own production had become normal again!
You can also take some ascorbic acid with your meals, extra vitamine c is good!

I also have some discomfort with having too much sat fat like butter...

Birdie

hello - I get reflux, what's the Peat explanation and prescription for it?

Thanks!
Can't remember what a Peat explanation would be on the mechanism.
I'd searched his newsletters and interviews for help with solutions, but that was too long ago.

Like @Makrosky, I find watching out for too much unattended fat helps.
A recent trigger for me was hydrolyzed gelatin. It's not for me, unfortunately.
Starting about 3 hours before bedtime, I have to be careful not to get much fat.
Sweet things without much fat are fine.

Ray would not advise cutting back on sugar. You see that advice everywhere, but with closer examination it turns out that the people who like that idea also do a few other things along with it. It's probably the other things that help them and they are just jumping on the sugar thing because it's popular.

A lot of people do the ACV/vinegar, but vinegar is not something I see Ray recommending.

Put GERD in the search box and you'll get some info on the Forum. Haidut did a post there. Good luck!

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

Thanks everyone! It seems like rice or uneven macros do it - can't tell yet if excess of sat fat plays a role
- will try the vinegar suggestion next time!

Birdie

Thanks everyone! It seems like rice or uneven macros do it - can't tell yet if excess of sat fat plays a role
It's just so hard to figure what causes the problem.. I know the pain.
Last time I got reflux, my husband got it also. Made it a little easier to identify the culprit that time.

He can usually solve it by getting put of bed and drinking a little water. I need baking soda in mine.

theLaw

I think that Ray Peat suggests cooked potato juice for any digestive issues.:thumbsup:

Potato-Juice.jpg

Birdie

:balloon:
I think that Ray Peat suggests cooked potato juice for any digestive issues.:thumbsup:

Potato-Juice.jpg
Great...good reminder and only wish it were for me. But can't touch potato products due to nightshade sensitivity.
I think people forget about his potato advice. Also the potato juice scramble sounds tasty and therapeutic.
That's one of the Peat things I can't do. But, it's a great idea.

Birdie

Just to be clear, Ray doesn't recommend the vinegar. That's from other people.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals