Reducing Protein For Anxiety

Kartoffel

Excess protein is the way to go, if your goal is being stressed, and an early grave. Basically everything goes wrong on a high-protein diet. Diets with a high energy to protein ratio do everything Peat advocates: A higher metabolic rate, with increased CO2 production, increased thyroid hormones, increased thermogenesis, brown fat activation, mitochondrial uncoupling, lower stress hormones, and increased stress tolerance.

Last edited:

Spartan300

Is it just me or does it seem like every day I read something here that conflicts with everything we've been led to think?...

ExCarniv

For my personal experience, both extremes are bad.

I was eating +250g of protein per day on the Carnivore diet and had problems for sleep.

I was vegan too with low amounts of protein and suffered too.

Everyone is different, the link note that 50g of protein is enough, maybe for an inactive lightweight woman.

I'm an active grown man who lifts weights and play sports, 50g is clearly not enough, my sweetspot is around 100-120g with emphasis on protein after lifts and carbs at night for better sleep.

InChristAlone

Yeah super high protein diets are ridiculous but I think Peat is right 80 grams is good 100 probably ideal for weightlifting. I have done 45-55 grams a day at 125 lbs and not seen any benefit. That's pretty low. I feel better at least 60-70.

Ritchie

Excess protein is the way to go, if your goal is being stressed, and an early grave. Basically everything goes wrong on a high-protein diet. Diets with a high energy to protein ratio do everything Peat advocates: A higher metabolic rate, with increased CO2 production, increased thyroid hormones, increased thermogenesis, brown fat activation, mitochondrial uncoupling, lower stress hormones, and increased stress tolerance.
Absolutely. Can attest to this, and the research is certainly backing up what you are saying here.
From the linked article..
"higher protein diets correlate with anxiety in both animal and human studies. Here, in one study, researchers set out to show that a high carbohydrate diet would induce more stress than a high protein diet, yet their finding ended up being the opposite: a high protein meal created a greater cortisol response than a high carbohydrate meal.

Here, high protein diets are shown to decrease testosterone and increase cortisol in men. These studies demonstrate that high protein meals increase stress responses. Moreover, MDs anecdotally report acute anxiety in patients once they start high protein diets."

GreekDemiGod

There is 'high protein intake' for the normal population, that is barely above 100 grams / day.
And there is 'high protein intake' for us who lift weights or bodybuild. Over 200g / day

My highest intake on Carnivore was 350 - 400g of protein / day on some days.

Ritchie

There is 'high protein intake' for the normal population, that is barely above 100 grams / day.
And there is 'high protein intake' for us who lift weights or bodybuild. Over 200g / day

Yeah I push a decent amount of weights, and train body weight calisthenics as well (muscle ups, handstands, handstand pushups, pull-ups, dips etc) weigh about 85kg - 90kg and 5'11" ... I stay around 100g protein a day at a rough estimate, maybe even a bit less ... And i'm seeing very good gains, muscle, strength and body composition wise. I also eat high carbohydrate, high sugar and high starch carbs like potatoes. Peat has also said that the protein measurements of a lot of plant foods like potatoes, rice and fruits/juices are a lot less than they actually should be based on amino acid utilisation and so forth. So it may be that even though on paper it seems less, could be getting more than that.

gaze

how the f*** did you down 400g of protein in a day. your farts must have absolutely crazy

Kartoffel

how the f*** did you down 400g of protein in a day. your farts must have absolutely crazy

That's about the equivalent of 2kg of meat :D Sounds reasonable

GreekDemiGod

@ExCarniv @Kammas Actually, digestion was very smooth, as long as I got enough fat intake consistently. Once a day regular, minimal gas and bloating. Something abou meat being digested very high in the intestinal track. Was the main benefit I got from the diet.

Over 250g of protein: I was relying a lot on gluconeogensis, high Fasting blood glucose
Under 250g of protein: ketosis,

That being said, my protein intake on Peat varies from 100 to 140g. I didn't notice much difference in Anxiety levels.

ExCarniv

I didn't notice much difference in Anxiety levels.

I noticed way better sleep with less protein and more starch, specially at night.

I focus on protein after lifts or sports, usually 40g do the trick, then I eat small amounts at breakfast and dinner. I feel better with 100-120g, less than that I feel letargic and weak, more than that and I start to sleep bad.

rob

Hi boxers.

Generally, pushing up protein - presumably from animal sources - and taking carbs really low (one of the cited studies took it down to 5%) is immediately setting up for glycogen issues, especially in those not fat adapted, and thus knock-on cognitive and CNS effects.

As per the aforementioned study, subjects were in a fasted state so their muscles, brain and, by relation, CNS would have needed the body's glycogen stores replenished. Therefore, I’m not surprised depriving the system of carbs and asking it to digest a load of protein in such a situation causes more of an increase cortisol than a carb-rich meal.

There’s also things like the methionine-related issues. That’s not an animal protein problem per se, rather a problem of inadequate glycine supply to buffer the excess methyl groups and help handle the ammonia. Indeed, high one carbon will precipitate elevated neurotransmitter and adrenaline levels.

At the end of the day, sufficient supply of glucose from carb sources that agree with your body, a moderate protein intake balanced with sufficient glycine, some creatine (especially for the physically active) and then the rest of the common sense stuff like good b vitamin and electrolyte intake will probably be beneficial to a lot of people’s systems.

Last edited:

Jing

I'm trying high protein at the moment , I have a feeling going low on protein is why I gained quite a lot of fat even though I was doing weights and on 600mg of testosterone a week lol

ExCarniv

I'm trying high protein at the moment , I have a feeling going low on protein is why I gained quite a lot of fat even though I was doing weights and on 600mg of testosterone a week lol

Low protein, high carb, high fat = Randle cycle, fat gain.

If you reduce your protein, you should reduce your fats too, always 2 to 1 protein to fat imo. Also Peat said this in an interview.

Atm I'm on 400g of carbs, 100-120g of protein, 50g of fat. Testing the 4 to 1 carbs to protein and 2 to 1 protein to fats.

Peater

If you reduce your protein, you should reduce your fats too, always 2 to 1 protein to fat imo. Also Peat said this in an interview.

Atm I'm on 400g of carbs, 100-120g of protein, 50g of fat. Testing the 4 to 1 carbs to protein and 2 to 1 protein to fats.

What does a typical day's food look like for you ExCarniv?

Jing

I wasn't haven't that much fat though tbh.

ExCarniv

What does a typical day's food look like for you ExCarniv?

Breakfast: A piece of fruit first thing in the morning, right now we have watermelon, cantaloupes and peaches. Then Greek yogurt with honey and coffee with low fat milk and sugar.

Mid Morning/Lunch: Eggs/cheese and fruit and another coffee with milk and sugar.

Post workout: 150-200g of white fish/prawns/shrimp or steak, plus some boiled potatoes or rice with vegetables and a fruit

Dinner: Mashed potatoes/Rice with vegetables, fruit juice gelatin and ice cream if I have fats left on my macros, otherwise some honey.

If I crave pasta i eat Italian non fortified ones with tomato sauce and a bit of ground beef once per week maybe replacing one of the starch meals.

gaze

Breakfast: A piece of fruit first thing in the morning, right now we have watermelon, cantaloupes and peaches. Then Greek yogurt with honey and coffee with low fat milk and sugar.

Mid Morning/Lunch: Eggs/cheese and fruit and another coffee with milk and sugar.

Post workout: 150-200g of white fish/prawns/shrimp or steak, plus some boiled potatoes or rice with vegetables and a fruit

Dinner: Mashed potatoes/Rice with vegetables, fruit juice gelatin and ice cream if I have fats left on my macros, otherwise some honey.

If I crave pasta i eat Italian non fortified ones with tomato sauce and a bit of ground beef once per week maybe replacing one of the starch meals.

sounds almost exactly like my day. Playing around with the amount of liquid/salt/solid food in the diet is something i’ve been working on lately. focusing on solid food with adequate salt in the morning is important for me personally to feel good all day. glasses of OJ and milk combined in the morning just makes me feel off no matter how much salt I add.

Last edited: