Red Meat And Cancer? Not If You Protect Yourself With Coffee

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Red Meat and Cancer? Not if You Protect Yourself With Coffee. A Cup of Coffee With / After Meals Will Do the Trick

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/02 ... otect.html

Moreover, their study appears to support their hypothesis that "coffee, the most popular beverage in the world, supplies the most significant portion of daily in-take of dietary antioxidants" (Sirota. 2013) - a contribution that's significant enough to "effectively control lipid peroxidation in the stomach medium and thus prevent post-prandial absorption and plasma MDA modification" (Sirota. 2013).

Ben

Re: Red Meat and Cancer? Not if You Protect Yourself With Co

This is a good verification that RP was right about coffee being beneficial if taken with iron-rich foods. I like how the article mentions omega-3's cause lipid peroxidation, seems pretty Peaty. The article says green coffee beans work better for this purpose. The problem is that pesticides are well dealt-with when the beans are made into instant coffee, so they would have to be organic.

jyb

Ben said:
This is a good verification that RP was right about coffee being beneficial if taken with iron-rich foods. I like how the article mentions omega-3's cause lipid peroxidation, seems pretty Peaty. The article says green coffee beans work better for this purpose. The problem is that pesticides are well dealt-with when the beans are made into instant coffee, so they would have to be organic.

I thought that coffee roasting destroyed pesticides. How is instant coffee different?

Lin

So, the coffee has to be in the stomach at the same time as the red meat... I think many people drink coffee in the morning and have red meat in the evening, because caffeine interferes with their sleep. Wonder if decaf has the same effect?

Blossom

Forum Supporter

I drink only decaf after about 3 p.m. due to the caffeine in regular coffee disturbing my sleep. If I have red meat in the evening I will have some decaf coffee to go along with it with sugar and gelatin of course. My thinking was that the tannins in the coffee is what blocks iron absorption regardless of the caffeine content. It is great to hear of the multitude of coffee's benefits. Interestingly a couple of times recently I've had coffee later than usual and slept fine. An old school nurse told me once that if coffee drinking late in the day interfered with sleep then the liver was weak. Who knows? The rest of me is getting healthier so probably my liver too.

jyb

Blossom said:
Interestingly a couple of times recently I've had coffee later than usual and slept fine. An old school nurse told me once that if coffee drinking late in the day interfered with sleep then the liver was weak. Who knows? The rest of me is getting healthier so probably my liver too.

I've still hesitant on that. Sometimes I blame some insomnia on coffee taken too late in the day, but the problem doesn't occur every time so I'm hesitant.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Me too. I have tried it when I didn't have to work the next day just in case my sleep got screwed up and so far so good. I'm hopeful but years of not tolerating coffee too late have definitely left me a little cautious.

Lin

Okay, reading the article carefully, it does say that the results "appear" to be independent of caffeine content. And, concerning instant coffee: "the instant and most probably even the standard "pad coffees" are no suitable alternative to the ground coffee beans used in this study, because their MDA inhibitory effect on muscle food lipid peroxidation is 2-5x lower than that of a cup of coffee from ground roasted beans."
Also, the study was only looking at gastric cancer.

dukez07

Ben said:
The problem is that pesticides are well dealt-with when the beans are made into instant coffee, so they would have to be organic.

Would you be able to clarify what you mean by this? It's a problem that the pesticides are well dealt? Do you mean that the pesticides would be left in tact (despite the processing of the coffee into an instant form), unless you purchase your coffee from an organic source (which would be free of pesticides)? Or do you mean something else entirely?

dukez07

What is Ray Peat's preffered form of coffee?

Is it instant? Or does it not matter, providing the source is of organic quality? Anyone know? I would have thought buying the beans organically, then grinding the beans?

jyb

dukez07 said:
What is Ray Peat's preffered form of coffee?

Is it instant? Or does it not matter, providing the source is of organic quality? Anyone know? I would have thought buying the beans organically, then grinding the beans?

Apparently, the roasting process destroy pesticides, so organic or not doesn't matter at all. The difference is how its prepared, you get more caffeine from an expresso, but more nutrients from dripping - its up to you. Also instant is ok. That's based on several quotes I've read.