Red Meat Allergy Causes Heart Disease

somuch4food

I have started to notice a pattern between beef consumption and low energy levels with focusing trouble.

While looking this up, I stumbled upon this:
Red Meat Allergy Causes Heart Disease

The real culprit behind arteriosclerosis would be an allergy reaction to beef and not saturated fat. That would explain how they wrongly associated red meat with heart disease.

lvysaur

Or just excess iron. A lot of people are predisposed to higher iron levels, especially those from NW Europe.

OP
S

somuch4food

Or just excess iron. A lot of people are predisposed to higher iron levels, especially those from NW Europe.

Interesting, my origins are most probably from NW Europe. Excess iron can drop energy levels?

I had already suspected iron in the past. So, it might as well be this. I guess I've been reading too much about allergies recently.

danielbb

Since I have heart disease, I am very interested in any theory that explains it. My working theory right now is that heart disease is an inflammatory reaction to something in our diet. Through testing of just about every food substance, PUFA is number one on the list for causing inflammation in my body and obviously, that is one of the keys of Ray Peat's work. Starch, as in flour, is the other item that causes inflammation for me although I've tried Italian flour and it seems to be better than US Flour. I suffer no inflammatory responses from red meat so based on anecdotal evidence of one, I don't believe it is responsible for heart disease. I have strong suspicions, that if people can merely wean themselves off processed food (almost all of it contains pufa), that most of their health problems can be solved.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Interesting, my origins are most probably from NW Europe. Excess iron can drop energy levels?

I had already suspected iron in the past. So, it might as well be this. I guess I've been reading too much about allergies recently.
I'm mostly NW European and notice whenever I stay on a good schedule of regular blood donations I overall feel better. When I looked back through my vital sign history on the blood banks website my BP, HR and temps are all improved after 2 donations spaced 52 days apart. After that I can space it out to once every 3-4 months. If I get busy though and don't donate for a year or so my vitals revert back and my hbg increases again. I eat red meat most days though. I think I've finally figured out the best donation schedule for me but it's probably highly individual.

OP
S

somuch4food

@CLASH I know it is not saturated fat. I am saying that red meat was associated with heart disease and that researchers thought mistakenly that it was its saturated fat content that was problematic.

The article I posted might explain in part why red meat is associated with heart disease. @Elephanto also had great arguments about possible links between red meat and heart disease.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I do think a person can consume quality red meat with out health problems if the calcium:phosphorus ratio of the diet is adequate, amino acids are balanced by consuming gelatin and iron is kept in check by various measures.

OP
S

somuch4food

Surely, but most aren't aware of ratios. Red meat can then become a problem, not that it's the only thing that can go with the Western diet.

tankasnowgod

Absolutely. Other things to suspect are lack of Vitamin K2, which can lead to calcification of arteries, high stress (a BIG factor, usually overlooked), and as Ray Peat and Broda Barnes have both pointed out, low thyroid function.

lvysaur

Yep. NW Euros have the highest rates of hemochromatosis. In absolute terms only .7% have the disease, but the subclinical diagnosis of "high iron" is much more common.

I suspect other populations have it too, but are understudied. Especially the milk dependent populations, as there is a very obvious selection pressure of milk diet > high calcium > lower iron absorption > higher internal iron levels. NW Europe is the most lactase-persistent region of Europe, meaning that they were very dependent on dairy in the past (while the rest of the region probably needed it only as a dietary supplement).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals