Red Light Therapy / LLLT Cures Hypothyroid?

Dean

The self-hacked guy apparently took down the page about how he uses it.

I remember him mentioning not using it on the back of the head, with one exception. I don't remember what it was, but I think I fit into that category. Anyway, maybe I should start with the sides, front and top and see how close that gets me to happy genius. Even if it just improves my concentration, that would be great.

Any thoughts on how often you can use it overall, assuming you are rotating body parts. Could you use it every day if you are rotating between head, thyroid, liver, stomach? What about using it on different parts of the body on the same day?

Brian

Organs can probably be done every other day, brain only twice per week. Testicles are another spot to consider, but most areas should only be a few minutes.

For another forum where people are experimenting with LLLT you can search for it on Longecity.org and just ignore all the wacky dietary ideas they are trying.

Brian

Organs can probably be done every other day, brain only twice per week. Testicles are another spot to consider, but most areas should only be a few minutes. Just pay attention to how the areas respond. Probably best to start out with only twice per week.

For another forum where people are experimenting with LLLT you can search for it on Longecity.org and just ignore all the wacky dietary ideas they are trying.

OP
Strongbad

Strongbad

Dean said:
Appreciate the info and excusing my idiocy.

Have you used the 850 on your head, for brain function? Not implying you need it. I'd like to try it for depression and cognitive function. The self-hacked guy that was linked to apparently does for very short periods (15 seconds or so, if I recall correctly). I think he uses the lesser nm device though.

Anybody see a problem with me using the 850 on my hat rack to turn me into a happy genius-- so I don't have to ask stupid questions anymore?

I have not used 850nm on my head, unfortunately. I focused mainly on hair loss and thyroid function at the moment. If you do decide to try it for a few sessions, please post some results! :)

Speaking for brain function, the guy at http://heelspurs.com/led.html made a helmet of 660/850nm combo and used it on someone with Alzheimer's disease. 15 minutes, twice a day. You can see more detail in the site:

Here are their comments:

Received unit 10/15/2013.

10/18/2013:
"We've both been using it twice per day at 15 minutes at the setting you dialed in. Morning and between 6-8 PM. It's hard to say at this point exactly what the effects are for [relative]. Most immediately it seems to brighten his mood, make him a bit more conversational. His sleep has been good. I quite like using it. I can't pinpoint exactly why.. but i do feel pleasant and calm for a couple hours afterwards....It can get depressing for all of us as he progresses further [downhill], but it's essential to try and stay positive."

11/6/2013:
"It's been a few solid weeks of consistent usage now, and beyond some initial subjective effects, it does not seems like my father is benefiting. The only effect I observe and he feels is getting very tired/dozy afterwards. He also has begun to dread using it. We would like to return it if that is still satisfactory to you. It's too bad, as I quite like it, but i guess i could try building the simple IR array one in the future."

11/23/2013:
"The 7 minutes twice a day has been better than 15 in terms of fatigue, but we still aren't seeing positive benefits enough to keep it. I'd like to send it back to you sometime next week..."

1/24/2014:
"My folks were away for a few weeks traveling, mostly in Thailand and Myanmar. So I'm just getting him started again on the helmet. He's only doing 7 min once a day now. I think it's not quite enough. Maybe 10 min once a day? His mini mental state and other scores are holding."

4/7/2014:
Notes from a phone conversation with son: After the initial month of using the helmet at 7 to 15 minutes twice a day as described above, he was more social and confident with words. Before using the helmet, his "mini-mental state" examinations had shown deterioration from 27 to 25 during about 4 tests over the course of a year (mild dementia), then improved to 28 (which is technically borderline normal) for 2 tests after the first month of using the helmet. His son's impression as of this date is that it has helped him from getting worse quicker, but nothing miraculous. However, only the first month was used at the strong dose, and he went on vacation and then into a methylene blue trial during which the helmet was not used. His hair got noticebly and definitely thicker and darker according to son, wife, and sister. His son estimates 15% to 20% thicker and 10% darker, and the sister noticed a difference in the hair before she knew about the helmet. We agreed on the phone that if the helmet had been used consistently for 6 months at the higher dose, then the results might have been very beneficial, if the mini-mental state exam results are "accurately indicative". The reason it was not consistently used at the longer treatment times is due to heat and comfort. So I recommended 3 treatments a day, maybe 7 minutes each, each treatment followed by 1 large vitamin C pill. Based on the theory of how it works, I would not be surprised if 10 minutes every two hours is an ideal treatment plan. I would guess maximum results (including improvement of the condition) to be seen in 2 or 3 months, and then holding steady after that. I am also using due to simply enjoying it, subjectively thinking it makes me more active or "awake".

BTW, the guy has Alzheimer, so you probably don't need as much as red light on your head as much as he does. And not as often, too. Daily dosage is overkill, IMO.

Zachs said:
I plan on using it everywhere to see what happens. Lol. I should probably do more research.

Just using the dual heat lamps I bought has definitely helped with energy and bodytemps. I know they aren't as optimal as halogens or incandescent for the 600-800nm wavelengths but they are cheap and sure are warm. Easy to look at too, it doesn't hurt your eyes even though they are very bright. I think I'll buy two more and make a makeshift tanning bed.

That will be a great experiment! I've thought about using heat lamps and halogens for red lights therapy but some of them are around 200W. It'll bloat electricity bill! :shock:

OP
Strongbad

Strongbad

Brian said:
Organs can probably be done every other day, brain only twice per week. Testicles are another spot to consider, but most areas should only be a few minutes. Just pay attention to how the areas respond. Probably best to start out with only twice per week.

Yes, http://www.longecity.org is a great site for LLLT. Another one is http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/. Just type "LLLT" on its search box and you'll get tons of results.

Dean

Cool, thanks for the info and resources, Brian and Strongbad. I will post my results.

I'm having a tough time getting tape on the little light sensor. Would blotting it out with some Elmer's glue or liquid paper work?

OP
Strongbad

Strongbad

Dean said:
Cool, thanks for the info and resources, Brian and Strongbad. I will post my results.

I'm having a tough time getting tape on the little light sensor. Would blotting it out with some Elmer's glue or liquid paper work?

I don't know about that, I haven't tried it. What I do to fool the sensor is wrapping myself and infrared panel in blanket to block any light in. Or simply go to dim or dark room. Or stand/sit against the sunlight and put the panel so close to your skin that the back of the panel acts like an umbrella that block sunlight and fools the sensor that there's no light around.

ravster02

Guys, it's not rocket science. Just put something over the sensor so it doesn't pick up any light. Tape, glue, whatever.

Dean

well, so much for that 25 bucks. I was too stupid to realize that with the glass panel removed, I needed something to hold the light panel in place, so while I was trying a session on my thyroid the light panel popped out and must have pulled the wiring to where it shorted out. Sigh.

Zachs

Strongbad, yea I'm using 2×250 watt bulbs now so another 2 will bring it up to 1000. I Wil certainly be essential this winter though, it's almost more please nt then laying in the sun.

Zachs

I just got my 850nm light today. Just used it on thyroid just for a min.

Why do you guys reccomend taking the glass off? Surely IR rays will penetrate?
y James R. Barrante, Ph.D.

There seems to be some controversy, particularly by laypersons, as to whether infrared light can pass through glass. The correct answer is, “That depends!” Infrared radiation spans a wide region of wavelengths. At the shorter wavelength end, near visible red, the behavior of infrared light is not that different from visible light, except, of course, humans cannot see it. This radiation, called near infrared, does pass through glass. A better way to look at it is to say that it is not absorbed by the glass. It’s energy is too large to excite atoms in molecules to higher vibrational states. If you own an electric stove, you will experience this light just before the coils begin to glow a dull red. If you doubt that it is there, put your hand near a coil. Your skin actually “sees” this light

tara

Strongbad said:
That will be a great experiment! I've thought about using heat lamps and halogens for red lights therapy but some of them are around 200W. It'll bloat electricity bill! :shock:
I used 500W halogen flood lights last winter for a half an hour here and there. Felt good. I figured if I was going to have to pay for heat energy anyway, I may as well get some good red and infrared light on me for it too.

I wonder if the red and near infrared is part of what has attracted people to sitting round a fire, in preference to convection heaters and heat exchangers, etc.

Dayman

I have tried a red light therapy bed much like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Light-Thera ... 1120086769
It lasted 14 minutes. I felt good at first then felt over stressed from too much stimulation at once I suppose.
I am unsure if the bulbs are very good (flouro) despite being 633nm.

I have also tried a red light chair at 850nm using halogen bulbs and it seemed much better.

bailadora

Any updates?
I've been using my hand held dual for awhile and I have to say I'm still finding the relaxation effects are outstanding. It really helps me unwind at night and helps foot pain from dance.

My hair is growing faster than my normal rate which was slow and still very little shed.

I'm backing off the thyroid for now. Last week I used it on my neck area and my temps plummeted the next morn-97.3. Took a week for them to come up again. This happened once before but this last time I'm taking it as a sign to not use on my thyroid for now. Could be lowering stress hormones but it's hard to tell N=1 meh

jimmyquick

bailadora said:
Any updates?
I've been using my hand held dual for awhile and I have to say I'm still finding the relaxation effects are outstanding. It really helps me unwind at night and helps foot pain from dance.

My hair is growing faster than my normal rate which was slow and still very little shed.

I'm backing off the thyroid for now. Last week I used it on my neck area and my temps plummeted the next morn-97.3. Took a week for them to come up again. This happened once before but this last time I'm taking it as a sign to not use on my thyroid for now. Could be lowering stress hormones but it's hard to tell N=1 meh

What device are you using if you don't mind me asking? I haven't been able to find a dual handheld one.

bailadora

I'm using a device I bought a few years ago built by the led man. I'm not a vendor and have no investment in the guy. You cangoogle it and probably find him. It is 660nm red and 880nm infrared. 120 bulbs on the unit size of my palm. I think I paid less than 60$ for it.
I'm probably using it too much but I can't beat the relaxation response I get from it.
I may try to order another one in Nm ranges that all the research supports as receiving best results.

ilovethesea

bailadora said:
I'm using a device I bought a few years ago built by the led man. I'm not a vendor and have no investment in the guy. You cangoogle it and probably find him. It is 660nm red and 880nm infrared. 120 bulbs on the unit size of my palm. I think I paid less than 60$ for it.
I'm probably using it too much but I can't beat the relaxation response I get from it.
I may try to order another one in Nm ranges that all the research supports as receiving best results.

I was thinking to order from LED man. Do you hold the unit right on your face (touching) or is it set up on some kind of stand? I wish there was something hands free I could wear as a mask, lol!

Also why 660 + 880? Wouldn't it be more effective for skin to use 660 only? Or is there some bigger benefit from having both in the one unit.

Could you hold it to your thyroid also, or is that not safe with the 660?

I have the Baby Quasar and LightStim. They are ok, but they don't cover that much of your face so it can take a good 30-60 minutes to do 1-2 passes.

bailadora

@ilovethesea (me too!)
I don't allow the bulbs to touch my face or neck just get as close as possible . That's more a comfort factor or preference than anything else. I will place the unit anywhere else on my body though-doesn't bother me. Gets hot though. I use on my thyroid. That's your decision to make.
The device is about the size of my hand so doesn't cover a whole lot of territory buts it's enough.
Re: the nms, It's what I have. When I purchased it a few years back those specs were the latest and greatest being researched. Now it's changed so I'm thinking about investing in another one with the newest nms.

G

gummybear

narouz said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZ53BNE/?tag=rapefo-20

This one is the wrong wavelength--630nm, I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZ53BNE/?tag=rapefo-20

This one has a mixture of wavelengths, some are 830nm.
I believe the wattage cited in the study was 50mW,
which I think may mean 50 milliwatts...?
50 milliwatts = 0.05 watts.
In the product above, there are 12 lights at what they call 5W each.
5 watts is a lot more power than the 50mW light cited in the study,
if mW does mean milliWatt...

Just tossing out some products and specifications as a starting point....

This seems to be the same narouz (btw what does that name mean)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Face ... 03058.html

Zachs

So iv been messing with 650, 860 or whatever and heat lamps for a few weeks now and overall I gotta say that plain ol 4$ heat lamp bulbs make me feel much more awesome than led. In fact I see no improvements on anything related to 650 and 860 makes me feel warm and tingly but also strangely not right. Can't really explain it but it feels a bit like radiation or something. If I put it on my stomach for awhile it starts to gurgle and whatnot, on thyroid and throat gets a bit sore.

500 watts of heat lamp bulbs on the other hand make me feel as good as a long day on a sunny beach, almost better even because I'm energized afterwords. It also is an instant libido enhancer and my eyes feel better after looking in the light for awhile.

Overall unless you have some big issues you want to experiment with like hypo or hairloss, skip the led arrays and go for heat lamp, halogen or incandescent for that broad spectrum, warming glowing warming glow. Not much better than waking up and shining that on ya for a half hour while in bed.