Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting

bluewren

Last edited by a moderator:

yoshiesque

did you get the one with red coating or clear? How do you set it up? just put it as the main room light?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:
does anyone else feel tired after a long time of using the lights? yesterday I used it for many hours and I felt like I just had a workout or something. lol. I was drinking OJ like it was no tomorrow and eating eating eating during that session.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wikipedia said:
Infrared (IR) is invisible radiant energy, electromagnetic radiation with longer wavelengths than those of visible light, extending from the nominal red edge of the visible spectrum at 700 nanometers (frequency 430 THz) to 1 mm (300 GHz)[1] (although people can see infrared up to at least 1050 nm in experiments[2][3][4][5]). Most of the thermal radiation emitted by objects near room temperature is infrared.
More at link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared

bluewren

bluewren said:
post 103497
yoshiesque said:
post 103317 I am really confused, I came across this one for Australia:

http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.co...industrial-heat-incandescent/923212043801_eu/

Is this right? In australia we use 240v power so this seems to be the equivalent. But the post above says RP recommends UNTINTED, where as this one is tinted in red.
I bought a good bulb in Bunnings..... Incandescent 230-250 V BR125 Phillips. I am really pleased with it.
yoshiesque said:
post 103512 did you get the one with red coating or clear? How do you set it up? just put it as the main room light?

Sorry, yoshiesque....just saw your question. It is clear glass, not red tinted. I screwed it into a tall lampstand (from Masters) That way I can move it to shine directly on me if I change rooms. If I was clever I'd post a pic, but don't know how to do it, sorry.

yoshiesque

hey man thats
bluewren said:
post 103898
bluewren said:
post 103497
yoshiesque said:
post 103317 I am really confused, I came across this one for Australia:

http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.co...industrial-heat-incandescent/923212043801_eu/

Is this right? In australia we use 240v power so this seems to be the equivalent. But the post above says RP recommends UNTINTED, where as this one is tinted in red.
I bought a good bulb in Bunnings..... Incandescent 230-250 V BR125 Phillips. I am really pleased with it.
yoshiesque said:
post 103512 did you get the one with red coating or clear? How do you set it up? just put it as the main room light?

Sorry, yoshiesque....just saw your question. It is clear glass, not red tinted. I screwed it into a tall lampstand (from Masters) That way I can move it to shine directly on me if I change rooms. If I was clever I'd post a pic, but don't know how to do it, sorry.

hey buddy thats totally fine, uve helped more than enough.

are you able to tell me what lampstand u got from masters? brand/model? i may as well use a tried & tested setup haha

judi

Hi blu
bluewren said:
post 103497 I bought a good bulb in Bunnings..... Incandescent 230-250 V BR125 Phillips. I am really pleased with it.

So.... I did a search on the Bunnings website and there is no sign of anything incandescent. How many Watts does this bulb have?

I also did a search for "heat globe" and got a list of 46 bulbs (29 of which are Phillips), none of which matches yours.
You can have a look here http://www.bunnings.com.au/search/produ ... b002ee9da7

I rang Bunnings and they tell me that if it isn't on their website, they don't stock it.

Would you please give me some more info and maybe post a picture, bluewren? Thanks

yoshiesque

judi said:
post 104120 Hi blu
bluewren said:
post 103497 I bought a good bulb in Bunnings..... Incandescent 230-250 V BR125 Phillips. I am really pleased with it.

So.... I did a search on the Bunnings website and there is no sign of anything incandescent. How many Watts does this bulb have?

I also did a search for "heat globe" and got a list of 46 bulbs (29 of which are Phillips), none of which matches yours.
You can have a look here http://www.bunnings.com.au/search/produ ... b002ee9da7

I rang Bunnings and they tell me that if it isn't on their website, they don't stock it.

Would you please give me some more info and maybe post a picture, bluewren? Thanks

Look up at the post I put up, it has the direct links to the Philips site.

bluewren

I saw these at Masters, yesterday.

Attachments

• 20151018_114035.jpg
    20151018_114035.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 711

judi

Thanks very much, bluewren. Those are both infrared though.

It's been a long time since I read this thread but if I remember correctly, infrared isn't what Peat recommends, is it?

bluewren

judi said:
post 105060 Thanks very much, bluewren. Those are both infrared though.

It's been a long time since I read this thread but if I remember correctly, infrared isn't what Peat recommends, is it?
I believe it is, Judi......go back to the beginning of this thread and read through again. There is plenty of info.

judi

bluewren said:
post 105139 I believe it is, Judi......go back to the beginning of this thread and read through again. There is plenty of info.

Thanks for directing me back to the beginning of this thread. It's been some years since I've read it in its entirety.

I re-read it carefully the second time, taking notes as I went, just like I had done the first time. Most of the information (and Narouz's carefully thought out analyses and questions) is in the first half of the thread, although it gets interesting again when haidut gets involved near the end.

I know that Peat recommends plain incandescents - to me and to plenty of others. He okayed the incandescent 300W bulbs I was purchasing a few years ago.

I have never seen him recommend infrareds, in fact he has said the infrared or at least the far infrared light isn't beneficial.

He says plain incandescents are fine but if you can get slightly stronger voltage bulbs than the voltage you run at home (e.g. in the US you'd get 130V and run it on 120V), it's even better as the wavelengths are pushed towards the red and orange.

He also says the wavelengths between approx 600-850nm are most beneficial. (That does include some of the longer near infrared wavelengths.)

What throws a spanner into the works is that peatarian quoted him saying:
"Plain incandescent bulbs are o.k., but the best kind are used by farmers for incubators, etc., and are designed as 130 volt bulbs, so when they operate on 120 volts they have a bias toward the longer wave red color, and they have an internal reflector. They are often called "infrared" or "heat lamps," but they have a clear glass front."
(my ephasis)

They're CALLED "infrared". He didn't say they ARE infrared.

Does anybody else understand by this that there are bulbs on the market that are infrared but not good for our purposes (i.e. they are mainly infrared, with no red or orange wavelengths), while these higher voltage bulbs that are good for our purposes, might be called "infrared" possibly inaccurately?

Not sure if I'm making myself clear here: what I mean is - could it be that the 130V bulb Peat recommends is closer to the red and orange than to infrared when run on 120V, whilst other bulbs called infrared are just near and far infrared, with hardly any red and no orange? Meaning we shouldn't just buy any old bulb that is called infrared?

Could it be just semantics?

I guess I might have to ask Philips unless somebody can chime in.

Bluewren, I think your bulb looks like the one Peat means, I hope I can find it in Bunnings. Thanks.

Suikerbuik

I am not completely sure, but think it's because running 130v lamps on 120v will result in less power usage and therefore wavelengths of lower energy i.e. longer wavelength (to the orange, red and IR spectrum).
The 'infrared" or "heat lamps" is semantics I guess. Infrared light is not visible (unless multiple photons hit a pigment at once), so if a lamp appears orange you'll know it's not infrared light only. And if so IR is probably benefical too, according to Dr. Pollack infrared light builds cell water (exclusion zone water- expelling all kinds of solutes)...at leats the heat you'll feel is pleasing :).

Pet Peeve

I'm waiting for a couple of clear ir bulbs and in the meantime I got the 150w daylight basking spot from:

Exo-terra.com/en/products/lighting.php

They have different bulbs with specter-graphics. Kind of interesting comparing them. I'm pretty sure peat has the infrared in mind. It's the only without any blue or uv.

Pet Peeve said:
post 112141 I'm waiting for a couple of clear ir bulbs and in the meantime I got the 150w daylight basking spot from:

Exo-terra.com/en/products/lighting.php

They have different bulbs with specter-graphics. Kind of interesting comparing them. I'm pretty sure peat has the infrared in mind. It's the only without any blue or uv.

That HALOGEN BASKING SPOT looks damn nice!