Red Light Nearly DOUBLES Muscle Growth From Training

Hans

Forum Supporter
The study controlled for volume
Sets and reps yes, but not workload. The LLLT group got stronger faster which translated to a bigger training load and thus greater hypertrophy.
They had enough control groups that were untrained and in comparison to those groups, the red light group experienced nearly double the muscle growth and greater strength gains.
Red light has all kinds of beneficial effects and muscle recovery takes hours, so it's not true that there is such a short window of time to use the red light in order to get these benefits.
Using red light pre-workout is shown to help against fatigue and using it post-workout is shown to help with recovery. I'm not saying you have to do it immediately post-workout to get the benefits, but the sooner you use it pos-workout, the better. There are many studies showing that using it close to a workout is best for potentiating the effects of exercise.

Here is a study (and here's a critique study on that study) showing the LLLT helped lower IL-1B and creatine kinase as well as helped against DOMS. It also increased mTOR. However, there was only 1 individual in each group, so take it for what it is.
What I would like to see is a group using LLLT without training and see if it will increase mTOR. My suspicion is that LLLT boosts exercise performance, strength gains and this leads to a greater increase in mTOR, not the red light specifically. So it's more of an indirect effect. Red light, however, can lower inflammation and muscle breakdown, which will also have a positive effect on muscle growth.
LLLT also improves mitochondrial function which increases ATP synthesis and causes modulations in DNA and RNA synthesis rates, which in turn affect cell proliferation and gene expression, related to several cellular pathways such as mitosis, apoptosis, inflammation, and mitochondrial energy metabolism.

So in this regard, it could help with hypertrophy, but it bears repeating, red light (at wavelengths of 810-850nm) is more of a recovery tool (which can boost muscle growth) than an anabolic agent.

FitnessMike

OP
AlexR

AlexR

Sets and reps yes, but not workload. The LLLT group got stronger faster which translated to a bigger training load and thus greater hypertrophy.

Using red light pre-workout is shown to help against fatigue and using it post-workout is shown to help with recovery. I'm not saying you have to do it immediately post-workout to get the benefits, but the sooner you use it pos-workout, the better. There are many studies showing that using it close to a workout is best for potentiating the effects of exercise.

Here is a study (and here's a critique study on that study) showing the LLLT helped lower IL-1B and creatine kinase as well as helped against DOMS. It also increased mTOR. However, there was only 1 individual in each group, so take it for what it is.
What I would like to see is a group using LLLT without training and see if it will increase mTOR. My suspicion is that LLLT boosts exercise performance, strength gains and this leads to a greater increase in mTOR, not the red light specifically. So it's more of an indirect effect. Red light, however, can lower inflammation and muscle breakdown, which will also have a positive effect on muscle growth.
LLLT also improves mitochondrial function which increases ATP synthesis and causes modulations in DNA and RNA synthesis rates, which in turn affect cell proliferation and gene expression, related to several cellular pathways such as mitosis, apoptosis, inflammation, and mitochondrial energy metabolism.

So in this regard, it could help with hypertrophy, but it bears repeating, red light (at wavelengths of 810-850nm) is more of a recovery tool (which can boost muscle growth) than an anabolic agent.
The study made them lift at their maximum strength. This is not unlike the progressive overload someone would normally do at the gym. The red light made the participants stronger faster than the no-light group, so they increased the weight they lifted faster. Without the red light, the control group did not become as strong as the red light group, so it’s fair to say that the red light is the cause of the increased strength and muscle growth. I see what you’re saying about timing, but you’re speculating about it and there isn’t any proof that it matters when the red light is used.

FitnessMike

Hans

Forum Supporter
The study made them lift at their maximum strength. This is not unlike the progressive overload someone would normally do at the gym. The red light made the participants stronger faster than the no-light group, so they increased the weight they lifted faster. Without the red light, the control group did not become as strong as the red light group, so it’s fair to say that the red light is the cause of the increased strength and muscle growth
Not arguing there, that's what I'm also saying.

I see what you’re saying about timing, but you’re speculating about it and there isn’t any proof that it matters when the red light is used
That is incorrect. There are a few studies pointing out that using NIR and red light before is better than post-workout. Combining the two might be even better, but that's only been shown in 1 study.
Your argument is that red light doubles hypertrophy (used any time), but according to the study you posted, they used NIR directly pre-workout. So the title should more accurately say: Near infra-red light directly pre-workout doubles muscle gains in untrained individuals after 8 weeks.

Red light regardless of when used does provide benefits, but using it preworkout provides more benefits in terms of exercise performance, recovery, strength gains and hypertrophy. I'd still like to see a study where they use red light directly after vs 3-5 hours after a workout.

References here: Here’s How to Use Red Light Therapy to Supercharge Your Fitness.

OP
AlexR

AlexR

did these improved your sleep? is there anything else you can tell it improved?
I’ve been using them for like two years now, so I’m unsure about my sleep quality and I don’t track it either. However, during the day I noticed that I recover faster from the previous day workouts and that I feel more sharp. The incline also gave me more vivid dreams initially and boosts my mood the next day compared to non-inclined sleep. The earthing sheets noticeably relax my muscles and my breathing in a way that feels similar to vagal stimulation. I would say that using both does improve sleep once you get used to the incline.

FitnessMike

OP
AlexR

AlexR

Amazon product ASIN B08FTGMQWH
that should do, 2inch each so i can stack them over time to gradually get used to?
Yeah, that should work. Most people use bed risers. I didn’t have any issues going straight to 6 inches, but I’ve heard that some people don’t adjust right away or like sleeping at less of an incline. The only problem I have is my sheets coming off the bed at the top, but it’s not that big of a deal.

FitnessMike

Yeah, that should work. Most people use bed risers. I didn’t have any issues going straight to 6 inches, but I’ve heard that some people don’t adjust right away or like sleeping at less of an incline. The only problem I have is my sheets coming off the bed at the top, but it’s not that big of a deal.
Thanks mate, thats helpfull.

Regarding red light panels, seems that you can get decent one for 350$ with posting on alibaba, im wondering how would that improve well being/health in general if you bathe most of your body in these lights, as an addition to a small bulb which I'm using to target specific places on my body.

golder

Out of curiosity do you do the red light and the infra red light when you do these daily sessions? If that product is the same as mine, which it looks like it is, then there is a separate switch for the two 660 and 880 wavelengths, meaning you don’t necessarily have to do the infrared at the same time :)
Thanks! James

Last edited:

ReSTART

Thanks mate, thats helpfull.

Regarding red light panels, seems that you can get decent one for 350$ with posting on alibaba, im wondering how would that improve well being/health in general if you bathe most of your body in these lights, as an addition to a small bulb which I'm using to target specific places on my body.

$415 USD shipped that’s a good price
Out of curiosity do you do the red light and the infra red light when you do these daily sessions? If that product is the same as mine, which it looks like it is, then there is a separate switch for the two 660 and 880 wavelengths, meaning you don’t necessarily have to do the infrared at the same time :)
Thanks! James
Yea I would do full body and only red. I don’t like NIR, it’s more dangerous than just red

Quelsatron

Interesting, i thought it would be carbon dioxide (and carbonic acid) from increased mitochondrial respiration.
maybe, maybe it's both. I'm just guessing it's nitric oxide because it releases more quickly than I imagine the CO2 production starts, and the tingling is mostly brief.

Inaut

Red (660nm) light kills my libido but heat lamps do the exact opposite for me. I think orange light holds the benefits in that department. I’d like to test out a strictly orange led if they are ever manufactured.

rei

you are getting too stressed from the red light alone, IR will increase circulation and structuring of water and help prevent the stress that pure red light causes. Heat lamp has mainly IR. Here similar thing as with exercise applies, you can only do what you can handle. I doubt orange has much to do with it, even if your eyes register the heat lamp as such.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom