Red Light, Melatonin, And Sleep Phase Disorder

DaveFoster

Red light holds a lot of benefits and protects the organism from stress associated with darkness.

However, certain concentrations of secreted melatonin promote a healthful wake-sleep cycle; insufficient melatonin during evenings causes insomnia, which leads to late sleep onset, early rising for most working people, and the cycle continues.

UV blocking glasses can be found here: Uvex Skyper Blue Light Blocking Computer Glasses with SCT-Orange Lens (S1933X) - Safety Glasses - Amazon.com

Wearing these glasses protects the retina from blue light, which blocks melatonin formation.

However, there exists the question of peripheral exposure to blue light and its impact on melatonin; in other words, does shining blue/red light on your skin block the formation of melatonin?

Haidut recommends ceasing the use of red light at around 7 PM to allow for melatonin production, but can a similar effect be achieved by wearing these glasses and continuing to shine the light on one's body?

J

James IV

I ran across a study at one point that showed light exposure still had hormonal effects in the blind. So not sure about the glasses idea.

I can for sure say wearing the glasses at night WILL have the clinical effect of never seeing another girl naked.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I can for sure say wearing the glasses at night WILL have the clinical effect of never seeing another girl naked.
Truer words have never been said.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

To anyone viewing this thread: yes, peripheral exposure to red light and blue light opposes the formation of melatonin.

Ray has said that melatonin is not harmful in the context of good thyroid function.

magnesiumania

Ive been using Swanwick blue blockers glasses for a while but i always had a feeling they were marketing hype. Does anyone know this brand an can i deem them effective at all?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Seriously? Are you placing amazon product links with affiliate program???
No. If you search for that item on Amazon you will have an almost identical URL.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals