Red Light For Hair Regrowth

x-ray peat

There are a lot of threads on general hair loss but I wanted to focus on LLLT and see if anyone has had a good experience with red light, infrared, or laser treatment for hair regrowth.

Please provide some details such as overall results, type of light, wavelength and power density if known(mW/cm2), treatment protocols (how long/how many times per week).

Pet Peeve

I think it's impossible to tell if something specific works for hair regrowth. Even if it did it would take months to show up, also how would you know it was that specific thing that helped your hair? I have gotten some comments that my hair is lighter in color since I started using a 500 w ir lamp, I think it's good for my skin too.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

I think it's impossible to tell if something specific works for hair regrowth. Even if it did it would take months to show up, also how would you know it was that specific thing that helped your hair? I have gotten some comments that my hair is lighter in color since I started using a 500 w ir lamp, I think it's good for my skin too.
Thanks Pet Peeve, I should also add that I have been using a 250 w brooder for 4 months and then switched to a 300 w incandescent a few weeks ago. I have definitely noticed much less shedding but no real new growth. I just started experimenting with an 850n IR LED and have a 660 n red light LED on the way.

sladerunner69

There are a lot of threads on general hair loss but I wanted to focus on LLLT and see if anyone has had a good experience with red light, infrared, or laser treatment for hair regrowth.

Please provide some details such as overall results, type of light, wavelength and power density if known(mW/cm2), treatment protocols (how long/how many times per week).

5mw/cm2 with laser diodes gave me solid regrowth results over a couple eyars, it's jsut a bit of a hassle to remember to use consistently.

Progesterone

Is infrared light mini safe to use on your head multiple times a week? Should I go with a lower light spectrum and has anyone actually shown visual results?

I have an OMG helmet, with 400 diodes, 650nm wavelength.

I've used it in late 2014 to mid 2015. I had decent results. Better hair quality, better shine, etc. BUT I just started back up today (the gist of it is, the helmet had a faulty connection, which made it not work 100%, I've fixed it today and it works perfect again).

The literature on this sort of device is all very positive in terms of results. As far as SAFETY goes, yes, it is very safe, nothing to worry about there.

Low-level laser therapy as a treatment for androgenetic alopecia. - PubMed - NCBI

Lasers Surg Med. 2017 Jan;49(1):27-39. doi: 10.1002/lsm.22512. Epub 2016 Apr 25.
Low-level laser therapy as a treatment for androgenetic alopecia.

CONCLUSION:

The majority of studies covered in this review found an overall improvement in hair regrowth, thickness, and patient satisfaction following LLLT therapy. Although we should be cautious when interpreting these findings, LLLT therapy seems to be a promising monotherapy for AGA and may serve as an effective alternative for individuals unwilling to use medical therapy or undergo surgical options. Lasers Surg. Med. 49:27-39, 2017. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

Lasers Surg Med. 2014 Feb;46(2):144-51. doi: 10.1002/lsm.22170. Epub 2013 Aug 23.
Low-level laser (light) therapy (LLLT) for treatment of hair loss.
Avci P1, Gupta GK, Clark J, Wikonkal N, Hamblin MR.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
Alopecia is a common disorder affecting more than half of the population worldwide. Androgenetic alopecia, the most common type, affects 50% of males over the age of 40 and 75% of females over 65. Only two drugs have been approved so far (minoxidil and finasteride) and hair transplant is the other treatment alternative. This review surveys the evidence for low-level laser therapy (LLLT) applied to the scalp as a treatment for hair loss and discusses possible mechanisms of actions.

METHODS AND MATERIALS:
Searches of PubMed and Google Scholar were carried out using keywords alopecia, hair loss, LLLT, photobiomodulation.

RESULTS:
Studies have shown that LLLT stimulated hair growth in mice subjected to chemotherapy-induced alopecia and also in alopecia areata. Controlled clinical trials demonstrated that LLLT stimulated hair growth in both men and women. Among various mechanisms, the main mechanism is hypothesized to be stimulation of epidermal stem cells in the hair follicle bulge and shifting the follicles into anagen phase.

CONCLUSION:
LLLT for hair growth in both men and women appears to be both safe and effective. The optimum wavelength, coherence and dosimetric parameters remain to be determined.

Low-level laser (light) therapy (LLLT) for treatment of hair loss. - PubMed - NCBI

Progesterone

lds100-9.jpg

Luk3

I’m ordering a red light mini soon. 670nm a good wavelength for hair?

Progesterone

I’m ordering a red light mini soon. 670nm a good wavelength for hair?

Yes, that is good, I will be using 650nm or so - but... the LDS 100 uses 940 nm.

I am speaking with someone about this now. Will have more info soon.

Progesterone

I don't mean to burden you; twice a week for five minutes too little?

It all depends on the laser you're using. You need approx 3-6 joules of energy per treatment for it to be effective (or most effective).

The lasers I use, are 5 milliwatts per laser.

Yours are 20 milliwatts per laser, which is good for you as you have less lasers, and you are more quickly able to get the energy you need to your scalp (3-6 joules), since there's more wattage per laser.

See this note from OMG on using wattages over 10 though:

JUNE 29th, 2017: I absolutely DO NOT RECOMMEND higher than 5mW diodes for any devices used to treat hair or skin! It has been PROVEN that mammalian skin and hair are more prone to overstimulation with higher-than-5mW diodes, and plus you cut the time benefit of LLLT. These higher wattage diodes should be reserved for DEEPER TISSUE TREATMENTS. The only exception would be a handheld unit where you might want to increase your odds of remotely getting into the window of energy (because a standard laser brush takes something like 400 minutes to do that!), and I still don't recommend that whatsoever. Also, while 5mW diodes are "safe" for eyes, 10mW and up ARE NOT.

Anyway, so if I need to use a 400 laser (650nm) 5mW device for 20 minutes at a time to obtain 6 joules of energy; you should be fine with 5 mintues per session. Maybe a bit more, considering I am using 400diodes vs your 12. Apparently best to use it every other day, but always give yourself 24hrs rest in between uses.

Watson350

It all depends on the laser you're using. You need approx 3-6 joules of energy per treatment for it to be effective (or most effective).

The lasers I use, are 5 milliwatts per laser.

Yours are 20 milliwatts per laser, which is good for you as you have less lasers, and you are more quickly able to get the energy you need to your scalp (3-6 joules), since there's more wattage per laser.

See this note from OMG on using wattages over 10 though:

JUNE 29th, 2017: I absolutely DO NOT RECOMMEND higher than 5mW diodes for any devices used to treat hair or skin! It has been PROVEN that mammalian skin and hair are more prone to overstimulation with higher-than-5mW diodes, and plus you cut the time benefit of LLLT. These higher wattage diodes should be reserved for DEEPER TISSUE TREATMENTS. The only exception would be a handheld unit where you might want to increase your odds of remotely getting into the window of energy (because a standard laser brush takes something like 400 minutes to do that!), and I still don't recommend that whatsoever. Also, while 5mW diodes are "safe" for eyes, 10mW and up ARE NOT.

Anyway, so if I need to use a 400 laser (650nm) 5mW device for 20 minutes at a time to obtain 6 joules of energy; you should be fine with 5 mintues per session. Maybe a bit more, considering I am using 400diodes vs your 12. Apparently best to use it every other day, but always give yourself 24hrs rest in between uses.
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals