Red Light: Does Anyone Actually Enjoy Red Brooder Heat Lamps More Than The LED Infrared Lights?

jzeno

I'm talking about this: Amazon.com: red brooder lamp: Health & Household

Compared to the very specific LED lamps with the specific wavelength of red light.

As much as I've read the LED lamps are "better" for one reason or another I actually just prefer sitting under a red heat lamp in many cases because the LEDs don't produce any heat and the heat from a brooder lamp causes so much circulation. It's like sitting in a sauna in my living room. If I'm cold or something, a heat lamp heats me right up almost instantly.

Anyone else have both and get a guilty pleasure from using a heat lamp? As much as I know my LED is better for me I haven't used it in so long. I'd like to use it more but it's so inconvenient. I need to adjust it to make it less so.

David PS

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Brooder heat lamps almost have to be safer and probably more effective, by definition.

Who believes all frequencies are tested for LED effectiveness (of course, that is impossible as they are continuous, but even a sampling at small frequency increments probably hasn't been done across the whole IR spectrum). Who believes that separation of light has a better effect on overall well-being than a range of natural light? While an LED may be more effective for a given purpose, are the knock-on effects also studied? Our bodies are full of negative feedback loops that keep collaborating processes in range. Our bodies are essentially analog.

The heat from brooder lamps are very bad for your eyes. It can denature proteins in the eye iirc.

I switched to an LED for that reason. Also most studies are done with LEDs today.

David PS

I only max 300W rated sockets at Lowes. Is that what you're using? If so, any problems, or burning smells?

That one works for me. No burning smells. I purchased the more expensive ceramic socket to avoid the plastic burning/melting issues. I have an undergraduate degree in Ceramic Materials Engineering. I am not entirely certain about the electrical aspects of the ceramic material used in the socket, but I know that ceramic materials are used to specifically to avoid burning/fires from the heat of the bulb.

Do not take this as a license to lay your unit on a wooden surface or on papers.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

@David PS So you own two as well? I bought an LED for all the researched benefits, but I bought a red brooder lamp just for fun and it turns out the brooder is more pleasant to enjoy (because of the heat it produces).

You use both simultaneously? Could you share a pic or describe your set up? I might follow suit.

David PS

@David PS So you own two as well? I bought an LED for all the researched benefits, but I bought a red brooder lamp just for fun and it turns out the brooder is more pleasant to enjoy (because of the heat it produces).

You use both simultaneously? Could you share a pic or describe your set up? I might follow suit.

Yes, I use both simultaneously. The LED is screwed into a desktop lamp unit that sits on table to the left of my computer screen. The second light is the pool light and it sits in a ceramic bowl on a chair to the right. The lights are connected to a single power strip so that one switch turns them both on and off. They are shining-away in my peripheral vision as I sit at my desktop computer. I find the warmth of the lights comforting.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

@ecstatichamster @David PS Does the wattage and voltage matter on the pool bulb you guys use? I noticed there are other options available. Not sure what specifications I should look for besides a white light so that it has the full spectrum. Thanks

David PS

@ecstatichamster @David PS Does the wattage and voltage matter on the pool bulb you guys use? I noticed there are other options available. Not sure what specifications I should look for besides a white light so that it has the full spectrum. Thanks

Here is the light that I use (500 watt 130 volt).
https://www.amazon.com/Satco-7007-P...Spa+Bulb+500W+130V&qid=1586878017&s=hi&sr=1-2

The wattage of the bulb is not especially important. In my mind, the wattage is just the intensity of the light. It is the intensity of the light that actually hits your skin that matters. The intensity is also related to the distance that the bulb is located from your body. My light shines at an arms length from me. If you choose to use a shorter distance, the intensity of the light that your skin experiences will be greater than mine even if we both use the same bulb.

My arms length (about a meter) distance is based on convenience (for the setup in my room) and it not based on any special science. I selected a bulb with 130 volts because it emits more of the desirable wavelengths of light than a 120 volt white light bulb.

Last edited: