Red Light And Eye Health

Hans

Forum Supporter
There is research that red light can be beneficial for eye health, such as lowering ROS and oxidative stress, increasing ATP, exerting neuroprotective effects and lowering IOP.

Has anyone here shone red light on their eyes either with open or closed lids and got benefits from it?

scoobydoo

There is research that red light can be beneficial for eye health, such as lowering ROS and oxidative stress, increasing ATP, exerting neuroprotective effects and lowering IOP.

Has anyone here shone red light on their eyes either with open or closed lids and got benefits from it?
After long days of being on the computer I will often do 10-15 minutes of it and notice nice relief from eye strain. As far as eyesight improving I think if I were to do it consistently I would see some

Wagner83

@Daniel11 has, he was a big proponent of it, you can easily find his posts. I did try it, some good effects from what I remember, however, and as I discussed later on with haidut, I think shining a light directly in the eyes, even if it's red, can damage them.

Aymen

i avoid looking at sun when UV is highest and i occasionally just look at red bulb with closed eye lid and mood gets better.
When there is an opportunity (spring and summer time) i try to gaze at sunset or sunrise light when it's orange to red and i notice a better vision immediately but i never tried that with a red bulb.
There is a large culture behind practising sun gazing too, so there might be more benefits than just getting the red light from that.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
After long days of being on the computer I will often do 10-15 minutes of it and notice nice relief from eye strain. As far as eyesight improving I think if I were to do it consistently I would see some
Cool, do you keep your eyes closed or open?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Daniel11 has, he was a big proponent of it, you can easily find his posts. I did try it, some good effects from what I remember, however, and as I discussed later on with haidut, I think shining a light directly in the eyes, even if it's red, can damage them.
Agreed, that's why I was thinking of doing them with closed eyes and if anyone had success with that, since then the light is not as direct anymore and would be more beneficial instead of being potentially damaging.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
i avoid looking at sun when UV is highest and i occasionally just look at red bulb with closed eye lid and mood gets better.
When there is an opportunity (spring and summer time) i try to gaze at sunset or sunrise light when it's orange to red and i notice a better vision immediately but i never tried that with a red bulb.
There is a large culture behind practising sun gazing too, so there might be more benefits than just getting the red light from that.
Yeah I think doing sun gazing for the first 10 or so minutes after the sun comes up is fine, but then it rapidly gets too bright and can be damaging. Later afternoon and evening should also be fine as then the UV and blue light is much less.

Additional question. Who has experienced eye relief from shining red light into their eyes (with closed lids) or somewhere else on their body?

Wagner83

Agreed, that's why I was thinking of doing them with closed eyes and if anyone had success with that, since then the light is not as direct anymore and would be more beneficial instead of being potentially damaging.
Well, I had tried bot and came to the same conclusion at the time.

I'll try it again out of curiosity.

David PS

Additional question. Who has experienced eye relief from shining red light into their eyes (with closed lids) or somewhere else on their body?

I have used a mini flashlight to shine red light into my nose. I take care not to shine the light in my eye for fear of eye damage. This is nothing to sneeze at! LOL

The nasal passages are highly vascularized and the blood vessels are close to the surface. Here is a link to a typical light.
https://www.amazon.com/WAYLLSHINE-F...2&sprefix=mini+flashlight+red+,aps,150&sr=8-6

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I have used a mini flashlight to shine red light into my nose. I take care not to shine the light in my eye for fear of eye damage. This is nothing to sneeze at! LOL

The nasal passages are highly vascularized and the blood vessels are close to the surface. Here is a link to a typical light.
https://www.amazon.com/WAYLLSHINE-Flashlight-Astronomy-Aviation-Observation/dp/B07FCMQGGF/ref=sr_1_6?crid=JH2CYFVSC84G&dchild=1&keywords=mini+flashlight+red+light&qid=1586471372&sprefix=mini+flashlight+red+,aps,150&sr=8-6
Great suggestion. Do you feel eye relieve from doing that?

David PS

Great suggestion. Do you feel eye relieve from doing that?

No eye relief to speak of.

I press the light against my nostril so that the light shines up my nose. I aim for my brain not my eye. The skull is thinnest behind to nose.

I am aiming for a systemic effect from irradiating the blood vessels and brain.

scoobydoo

Cool, do you keep your eyes closed or open?
I do a few seconds open, few seconds closed. Otherwise afterwards your eyes take a long time to adjust to normal lighting, and I worry that its easy to over expose the retina to these powerful bulbs

koky

i've checked with opthamologist and no problem looking at sun with eyes closed
i try to do it every day for 20 or more. minutes

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
No eye relief to speak of.

I press the light against my nostril so that the light shines up my nose. I aim for my brain not my eye. The skull is thinnest behind to nose.

I am aiming for a systemic effect from irradiating the blood vessels and brain.
Yes, but I was just wondering if it might actually have a local effect as well and affect the eyes.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I do a few seconds open, few seconds closed. Otherwise afterwards your eyes take a long time to adjust to normal lighting, and I worry that its easy to over expose the retina to these powerful bulbs
How far are you from the device when shining it in your eyes?

SOMO

i've checked with opthamologist and no problem looking at sun with eyes closed
i try to do it every day for 20 or more. minutes

Looking at the sun might not damage eyesight
unless you take a photosensitizing agent.

Apparently that is a myth lol, this woman purposely looked at the sun to become blind and it didn't work.

David PS

Looking at the sun might not damage eyesight
unless you take a photosensitizing agent.

Apparently that is a myth lol, this woman purposely looked at the sun to become blind and it didn't work.

Wearing sunglasses decreases the natural response of your pupils to constrict. This allows more damaging light to get to the back inner surface of your retina. It might be best to go natural.

RealNeat

Wearing sunglasses decreases the natural response of your pupils to constrict. This allows more damaging light to get to the back inner surface of your retina. It might be best to go natural.
Do we suspect it is the same for normal prescription glasses? Usually most substances filter UV light in some way, besides some plastics

mrchibbs

https://www.amazon.com/WAYLLSHINE-Flashlight-Astronomy-Aviation-Observation/dp/B07FCMQGGF/ref=sr_1_6?crid=JH2CYFVSC84G&dchild=1&keywords=mini+flashlight+red+light&qid=1586471372&sprefix=mini+flashlight+red+,aps,150&sr=8-6

That's wild. I like it. People will start to think I'm properly nuts shining my red light bulb down my nostrils but who cares at this point.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals