Red 40

Chophouse360

Hello,

I didn’t realize Red40 dye was in so many foods. It’s kind of concerning. Besides just not eating foods that contain it are there any ways to combat its negative effects? Any supplements I can take?

Hello,

I didn’t realize Red40 dye was in so many foods. It’s kind of concerning. Besides just not eating foods that contain it are there any ways to combat its negative effects? Any supplements I can take?
Just stop consuming foods with it and I think it won’t be a problem anymore…

“You can find Red Dye 40 in a wide range of foods and beverages, including:

Candy
Condiments
Snack foods
Baked goods
Beverages
Salad dressings
Dairy products
Frozen desserts
Breakfast cereals
Fruit bars
Sauces
Food items aren’t the only place you’ll find this artificial coloring. Many personal care products, such as toothpaste and mouthwash, can be artificially dyed. Even more disconcerting, some prescription medications may be tinted with the stuff.

THE CONNECTION BETWEEN RED DYE 40 AND ADD/ADHD

Multiple studies published in journals such as Pediatrics, The Lancet, and Journal of Pediatrics demonstrate that some children with ADD/ADHD may be adversely affected by artificial food dyes. Other research indicates that artificial coloring and flavors, as well as the preservative sodium benzoate, can make some non-ADD/ADHD kids hyperactive.

Some children who have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and are taking medications for the condition make such an improvement after eliminating Red Dye 40 from their diet that they are able to stop taking their prescription drugs.

Many parents who notice increased hyperactivity in their children after a sweet snack mistakenly blame a “sugar rush” for the bad behavior. But often, it’s the artificial food coloring that’s the real culprit.

Additionally, both adults and children have reported an upset stomach, migraines, jitteriness, nervousness, and inability to concentrate after a high intake of Red Dye 40. The CSPI released a report that says artificial food dyes pose a “rainbow of risks,” including everything from allergies to cancer.

Artificial dyes may also trigger “mind-storms,” which are issues with the brain’s wiring or electrical activity. Your brain is the world’s most powerful hybrid electrochemical engine. It uses electricity and neurotransmitters to help you think, feel, and act. Abnormal electrical activity can not only change the activity of the brain, but it can also change your mind and cause mind-storms that can be associated with temper outbursts, depression, suicidal thoughts, panic attacks, distractibility, and confusion.“

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I ate some delicious cranberry sauce my SIL made at Christmas so I asked for the recipe- Red Jello!!! What?!?! It did effect me mentally the next day. Crazy…

My sleep was worse than normal that night and I woke up noticeably more irritable and stressed the next day.
You could really see the how this dye is affecting children negatively then. Those poor kids eat their Fruit Loops, colored candies, Gatorade and fruit punch, get your reaction, Blossom, and the solution is to put them on medication.

I think when we, meaning you and I, notice these “sensitivities” it is because our bodies are clean, and not constantly in a defensive mode all the time. So when we eat something toxic we can tell better than most others, because our waters are clear, not muddy. So it is a bigger stretch from good to bad. I don’t think that most people have an idea how good feeling good really feels.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You could really see the how this dye is affecting children negatively then. Those poor kids eat their Fruit Loops, colored candies, Gatorade and fruit punch, get your reaction, Blossom, and the solution is to put them on medication.

I think when we, meaning you and I, notice these “sensitivities” it is because our bodies are clean, and not constantly in a defensive mode all the time. So when we eat something toxic we can tell better than most others, because our waters are clear, not muddy. So it is a bigger stretch from good to bad. I don’t think that most people have an idea how good feeling good really feels.
I agree completely and also wonder how many kids (& adults) are medicated needlessly due eating this toxic crap every single day.