Recurring ear infections when eating hamburger

mad539

Hello,

i need some help as i can't find out what triggers these symptoms. It seems, whenever i eat hamburger, i get a slowly increasing ear infection with pressure pain and yellow liquid coming out. It needs about 1-2 days to notice that liquid efflux is occuring, and around the third day i have pressure pain, ear ringing, inflammation, and don't feel well.

Normally, i don't go out to eat because of food allergies (nuts, soy, milk), but i had now two occasions where i ate a hamburger and developed the exact same ear issue. For day to day eating, i cook for myself, meat (no ground meat, only in one piece like beef steak, lamm, fish), some carb source and a bit of veggies.

The first time this happend was in beginning of this year: I ate a normal hamburger (no cheese) from a local restauraunt with some potatoes with a beer. After 3 days i had all the ear symptoms and i didn't go away for around 2 weeks. Only after using clarithromycin it went away quickly.

The next time i ate hamburger was three days ago. I went to BurgerKing (which i never do, but did often in the past) and ate just a single hamburger (no potatoes, no beer), and the day after i had a bit of efflux coming out of my ear and now, three days later the ear symptoms are in full force again (just like in beginning of the year).

Between the two "hamburger events" i have not eaten any other burgers or ground beef.

I can rule out gluten (e.g. cake several days is no issue). I also have not eaten anything other special besides the hamburger (i track everything i eat everyday).
Could it be the ground beef? But why does ground beef result in ear infection?

What the hell is this? I'm really lost a bit, and nothing like this happened in the past, as i ate hamburger very often.
I really need some input on this, as i can't keep taking ABXs after eating one (!) hamburger.

My ent doctor has no clue either.

Thank you.

Nomane Euger

Hello,

i need some help as i can't find out what triggers these symptoms. It seems, whenever i eat hamburger, i get a slowly increasing ear infection with pressure pain and yellow liquid coming out. It needs about 1-2 days to notice that liquid efflux is occuring, and around the third day i have pressure pain, ear ringing, inflammation, and don't feel well.

Normally, i don't go out to eat because of food allergies (nuts, soy, milk), but i had now two occasions where i ate a hamburger and developed the exact same ear issue. For day to day eating, i cook for myself, meat (no ground meat, only in one piece like beef steak, lamm, fish), some carb source and a bit of veggies.

The first time this happend was in beginning of this year: I ate a normal hamburger (no cheese) from a local restauraunt with some potatoes with a beer. After 3 days i had all the ear symptoms and i didn't go away for around 2 weeks. Only after using clarithromycin it went away quickly.

The next time i ate hamburger was three days ago. I went to BurgerKing (which i never do, but did often in the past) and ate just a single hamburger (no potatoes, no beer), and the day after i had a bit of efflux coming out of my ear and now, three days later the ear symptoms are in full force again (just like in beginning of the year).

Between the two "hamburger events" i have not eaten any other burgers or ground beef.

I can rule out gluten (e.g. cake several days is no issue). I also have not eaten anything other special besides the hamburger (i track everything i eat everyday).

What the hell is this? I'm really lost a bit, and nothing like this happened in the past, as i ate hamburger very often.
I really need some input on this, as i can't keep taking ABXs after eating one (!) hamburger.

Thank you.
I started to get a ear infection feeling this winter after eating meat despit I was eating ground beef daily since a year,with disgusting burp that felt that the gaz was going right through my ear,it went away when I got back some grass fed veal liver and I ate enough

Hello,

Thank you.
I had the same thing happen with cherries. I ate them all my life. One day I woke up and had the worst earache that I couldn't even touch my ear, and it was hot. As the day went on I lost my hearing with a muffled sound like being under water. For a couple of days I tried grapeseed extract, coconut oil and nothing worked until I suspected it may be a histamine issue. So I took a Claratin and felt relief and the whole ear cleared.

It happened again, but this time with both ears. Long story short I figured out it was cherries causing the earaches, and that the were producing so much mucus it was filing up my eustachian tube in my ear canal and causing tremendous pressure. I don't know that I am allergic to cherries, but something triggered an intolerance to them now, Nowadays my ears get itchy and wet occasionally when I eat a high histamine food, and hamburger is a very high histamine food.

So my advice is to take a Benedryl or Claratin next time you have that burger and if you DON'T get the ear trouble then you know you either have an developed an allergy to beef or have histamine intolerance.

Nomane Euger

I had the same thing happen with cherries. I ate them all my life. One day I woke up and had the worst earache that I couldn't even touch my ear, and it was hot. As the day went on I lost my hearing with a muffled sound like being under water. For a couple of days I tried grapeseed extract, coconut oil and nothing worked until I suspected it may be a histamine issue. So I took a Claratin and felt relief and the whole ear cleared.

It happened again, but this time with both ears. Long story short I figured out it was cherries causing the earaches, and that the were producing so much mucus it was filing up my eustachian tube in my ear canal and causing tremendous pressure. I don't know that I am allergic to cherries, but something triggered an intolerance to them now, Nowadays my ears get itchy and wet occasionally when I eat a high histamine food, and hamburger is a very high histamine food.

So my advice is to take a Benedryl or Claratin next time you have that burger and if you DON'T get the ear trouble then you know you either have an developed an allergy to beef or have histamine intolerance.
thanks for this,i always complained to my relatives of having a "yogurt" feeling in my left ear when i was fruitarian,a disgusting feeling specifically when you swallow or you lie in bed before to sleep

thanks for this,i always complained to my relatives of having a "yogurt" feeling in my left ear when i was fruitarian,a disgusting feeling specifically when you swallow or you lie in bed before to sleep
Yep yogurt is a high histamine as mine food too!

OP
M

mad539

Yesterday after reading your post i took three tablets of 5mg desloratadin (antihistamine like claratin) and the pain and swelling went away around 1 hour later. It came back today, but not as strong. I think i need to take them until the swelling and wetness goes away and the ear can heal itself. Crazy, thank you! Really seems like a histamine issue.

Strangely, i can drink red wine and eat chocolate without issue (besides some minor redness). Beef steak is also no issue, so it must be the ground beef which is high in histamine. But i do react to beer (but can be the wheat in it).

Hopefully it gets better without ABx and i will try it some weeks later again with an antihistamine.

Yesterday after reading your post i took three tablets of 5mg desloratadin (antihistamine like claratin) and the pain and swelling went away around 1 hour later. It came back today, but not as strong. I think i need to take them until the swelling and wetness goes away and the ear can heal itself. Crazy, thank you! Really seems like a histamine issue.

Strangely, i can drink red wine and eat chocolate without issue (besides some minor redness). Beef steak is also no issue, so it must be the ground beef which is high in histamine. But i do react to beer (but can be the wheat in it).

Hopefully it gets better without ABx and i will try it some weeks later again with an antihistamine.
I am so glad you tried that. When my ears get wet Claratin for a couple of days works well for drying them back out. Funny for me i don't have any allergies, but different foods, that that I have developed an intolerance to, give me totally different reactions, like chicken and rice gives me itchy welts on my thighs, but cherries are the only thing that make my ears get plugged up and painful. Beer is very high in histames too.

OP
M

mad539

It's getting better, but with high dose antihistamines i keep it under control, and i support methylation with a b-complex and TMG. It's actually huge for me that this is "only" a histamine issue, because my doctor and me were pretty sure these are lyme-symptoms. We went on a 2 month ABx cycle because of this. I'm not sure anymore if i even have lyme, when most of these symptoms can be explained by histamine.

I found out that i have a thyroid issue (low), which too would explain the histamine issues, as it seems they get worse when having hypothyroidism.

jdrop

Are you eating the bun/bread too? May not be the meat. Perhap eczema in your ear, can feel like an infection, it would keep coming back when triggered.

OP
M

mad539

I'm eating the bun/bread, but even if there is some lactose in it (which often is), i don't get the same reaction from eating a pizza or even a cake.

jdrop

I'm eating the bun/bread, but even if there is some lactose in it (which often is), i don't get the same reaction from eating a pizza or even a cake.
I've learned to never underestimate the power of crappy bread ingredients, lol.

It's getting better, but with high dose antihistamines i keep it under control, and i support methylation with a b-complex and TMG. It's actually huge for me that this is "only" a histamine issue, because my doctor and me were pretty sure these are lyme-symptoms. We went on a 2 month ABx cycle because of this. I'm not sure anymore if i even have lyme, when most of these symptoms can be explained by histamine.

I found out that i have a thyroid issue (low), which too would explain the histamine issues, as it seems they get worse when having hypothyroidism.
Well you know one of the biggest causes of death in America is misdiagnosis? Histamines cover a wide ranch of symtoms as well as causes and doctors don't much about it. I struggled with figuring it out for the last 7 years and I well tell your environment is just as much a culprit as food, and probably even more so. The thing with histamine intolerance is you don't have the ability to lower histamines as they accumulate, like an imaginary bucket that gets filled up from food, off-gassing from furniture, bedding, fabrics, car upholstery, flouride in water and toothpaste, and when your body can't eliminate the histamines as fast as they are filling up that bucket, the bucket finally overflows causing a mind boggling array of symptoms. Don't believe everything a doctor throws at you. Believe you are healthy and strong and that this is a more logical reason for your troubles. Make gradual changes. Get yourself a flouride-free toothpaste to start. My bucket flowed over one time and I woke up the next morning with my tongue swollen out of my mouth (angiodema). Your body is very communicative and is telling you enough is enough.

Hello,

Thank you.
Hey Mad539 how is your ear situation?

OP
M

mad539

Hey,

could not get it under control with only anithistamines. Taking ABx now (clarithromycin 250mg 2x per day) and it is getting better.
Whats very interesting: I'm currently on thyroid replacement (T3-only), because T4-only worsened my allergies and dropped my body temperature after only 1.5 weeks on it. Now with T3 only (only 3 weeks), i'm warm (over 36.5°C!) and my allergies are less extreme. So i think there might be a connection with allergies, histamine and hypothyroidsim.

Hey,

could not get it under control with only anithistamines. Taking ABx now (clarithromycin 250mg 2x per day) and it is getting better.
Whats very interesting: I'm currently on thyroid replacement (T3-only), because T4-only worsened my allergies and dropped my body temperature after only 1.5 weeks on it. Now with T3 only (only 3 weeks), i'm warm (over 36.5°C!) and my allergies are less extreme. So i think there might be a connection with allergies, histamine and hypothyroidsim.
That is great to hear! Thank goodness it isn't lupus! Anti-histamines aren't the answer, but were a good test. It took me many years to figure out that I had a histamine issue (with throwing up for no reason, migraines and rashes) and many more to get them in a good place. So you can eat your burgers now without an issue?

OP
M

mad539

That is great to hear! Thank goodness it isn't lupus! Anti-histamines aren't the answer, but were a good test. It took me many years to figure out that I had a histamine issue (with throwing up for no reason, migraines and rashes) and many more to get them in a good place. So you can eat your burgers now without an issue?
I'm going nowhere near ground meat, i'm waiting until i'm off antibiotics and thyroid is stabilized (2-3 months). Then i will try again. And yes, thank god it's not lupus - could always be worse.

OP
M

mad539

After using the antibiotics for around a month, it didn't help and the infection kept lingering around. I then started to use high dose vitamin c (as liposomal, around 3-4gr per day) and it stopped the ear issues/infections the next day! When i stop the vitamin c, the ear infection comes back. It is also acting very fast. If i eat dark chocolate (trigger) and feel the ear issue starting to become worse, i take one sachet of vitamin c and it is becoming better just 2-3 hours later.

It also seems it affects my mood to a big extent. Normally i'm a more introverted person, but using the vitamin c, i become way more extroverted and i'm actually searching the contact with other persons (which i never ever have). I don't understand completly why this effect happens, but i supose when having chronic health issues, you socially retract because you don't feel well, and if vitamin c fixes that, you get to your "normal social" state.

Another improvment is better alcohol tolerance. 2-3 glases of wine now makes me energized and happy, instead of dreadful, fatigued and ill.

The liposomal vitamin c i'm using is from altrient (Liposomal Supplements for Maximised Absorption). It is very pricey (around 1,7€ per gr) but seems to be the market leader.

After using the antibiotics for around a month, it didn't help and the infection kept lingering around. I then started to use high dose vitamin c (as liposomal, around 3-4gr per day) and it stopped the ear issues/infections the next day! When i stop the vitamin c, the ear infection comes back. It is also acting very fast. If i eat dark chocolate (trigger) and feel the ear issue starting to become worse, i take one sachet of vitamin c and it is becoming better just 2-3 hours later.

It also seems it affects my mood to a big extent. Normally i'm a more introverted person, but using the vitamin c, i become way more extroverted and i'm actually searching the contact with other persons (which i never ever have). I don't understand completly why this effect happens, but i supose when having chronic health issues, you socially retract because you don't feel well, and if vitamin c fixes that, you get to your "normal social" state.

Another improvment is better alcohol tolerance. 2-3 glases of wine now makes me energized and happy, instead of dreadful, fatigued and ill.

The liposomal vitamin c i'm using is from altrient (Liposomal Supplements for Maximised Absorption). It is very pricey (around 1,7€ per gr) but seems to be the market leader.
Vitamin C is a natural anti-histamine so it fits in perfectly with your ear problem. I get painful earaches after eating cherries, especially maraschino. My ear gets clogged where I can't hear iland is hot and painful to touch. How I finally knew that my ear problem was a histamine problem was when one time both ears were clogged and painful. What is the odds I could two ear aches, that is when I knew it was something else. I am so happy you have found your answers mad539! Are you still able to eat a hamburger or are you stearing clear of them nowadays?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals